Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What if.... England V France

• 29-05-2010 12:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭

Ok now not looking for a political debate but what if England and France meet in the World Cup who would you support??

I had a quick look at a wall chart and I think they can only meet in the final but could be wrong on that?

But if they were to meet in the Final who would you support?

England v France who would you support 118 votes

England
    0% 0 votes
    France
    61% 72 votes
    Don't care
    38% 46 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

England. They've supported us in past WC.

plus I hate the French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

England, but I'm up for England in general as much as I'm up for anyone. Lots of players in there I like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Hope England do well in general. Maybe not win as we'll never hear the end of it.

I hate this stupid 'anyone but France' thing

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭TheTosh

I'd be supporting England anyway even have my jersey ready, England FTW!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Meh at petty hatred of either country's football team tbh. I'll leave that to the tabloid reading knuckle draggers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Everyone in Ireland can switch off the telly. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

flahavaj wrote: »
    Meh at petty hatred of either country's football team tbh. I'll leave that to the tabloid reading knuckle draggers.

Football rivalry....now there is a disgusting new concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

France.
    I just couldn't listen to Sky shíte on and on about it for the next 60 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wouldn't really care who won tbh. Would just want it to be a decent game of ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,778 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'd be shouting for England tbh.

I also don't get this media thing people have about England.

Just don't buy the fcuking Sun FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,832 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

if it were Ireland vs France in the final, id imagine the English would back the oul emerald, so for that reason id like to see it go down to penalties and England to snatch it.

England.

Eirebear wrote: »
    Football rivalry....now there is a disgusting new concept.

Football rivalry = good.

Tabloid driven bitterness between nations based on hating "The Brits" or because of a poor refereeing decision in a match a few months ago = Moronic.

I'd like an english player to score a blatant handball against France in the final. How would you like Platini, you'd want a bloody reply then either that way or Henry scores an own goal using the same left hand he used before but alas Carlsberg don't do poetic justice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Anyone but England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Whoever has played the best football in the previous games.

Probably France. The reason that SSN would be unbearable for the foreseeable future if England won the WC and I enjoy it on saturdays.

Anyway, it won't happen.

Both are pretty useless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

It's a bit hypocritical and wrong holding a grudge against France and not England...

For me I'd like France to win it, but not this year. I can't stand Domenech. I hope he wins nothing.

For me England going out of the WC is like Dublin going out of the Sam, great to watch because of the major over-confidence factor both teams bare.

But ideally none of these teams would get to the final. I want a Spain Vs Brazil final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

I'll prob support England all the way to the final. Don't think i really want to see them win it because you would really never hear the end of it. I really don't see how someone can sit and watch hours of English football every week, support an English team and yet turn around and say they don't support those same players once they pull on an England jersey. Bullsh1t to be honest.
    I'd much happier watch England v any other team then watch two teams with players I know very little about.
    If it does come down to England v France then I reckon England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

England.

but it'd have nothing to do with Monsieur Henry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

France, as the English tabloids are sore winners.

the_syco wrote: »

If we won it we'd be the same, like we got to the quarters 20 years ago and still milk that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

France without a doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Villain wrote: »
    Ok now not looking for a political debate but what if England and France meet in the World Cup who would you support??

I had a quick look at a wall chart and I think they can only meet in the final but could be wrong on that?

I wouldn't care as long as it was a good game.

poll ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if the English tabloids bug you, don't read them. you know what you're going to get. get the Indo, Irish Times, Examiner, anything. you'll find it more bearable.
    TheTosh wrote: »
    If we won it we'd be the same, like we got to the quarters 20 years ago and still milk that

and the Six Nations Rugby Grand Slam.

we're awful winners.

SlickRic wrote: »

we're awful winners.

Worse still we don't have to even win things to bullsh*t on about them for years afterwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yup. But I don't mind hearing of how we got to the quarters 20 years ago. I do mind hearing England rattle on about it if they win. If France wins, we'll hear nothing after a few weeks.

Also, I prefer France over England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I'd like an english player to score a blatant handball against France in the final. How would you like Platini, you'd want a bloody reply then either that way or Henry scores an own goal using the same left hand he used before but alas Carlsberg don't do poetic justice

Dont be ridicuolous. You really think Platini would be calling for a replay?? ****s sake

France for me. No question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i would always be of the mindset that the team that knocked out my team would be the one i would hope to go all the way even if circumstances surrounding my team losing are controversial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

France because of Kung-Fu Patrice Evra. Although I do have $$$ on England

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

I love Sky Sports News but if England won watching it would be unbearable till the end of time. Therefore France. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'd support neither team, but would rather England to win it.

I'd be crushed though, just to think it could have possibly been Ireland vs England in the final... ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

SlickRic wrote: »
    if the English tabloids bug you, don't read them. you know what you're going to get. get the Indo, Irish Times, Examiner, anything. you'll find it more bearable.

we're awful winners.

I think you have to look at it in context. Compared to England we are a very small nation who are not naturally expected to win things (except for rugby in recent years) so if we did it would be a bigger cause for celebration. In England's case they big themselves up every year. They already have a victory parade planned!

England bash on about 1966 like it was the greatest victory ever but in reality its madness that with the players they have they haven't won it since. In reality its an embarassment that 1966 is their only victory but they mostly gloss over that fact.

Ireland winning it would be expected to be a once in a lifetime (if not more) event so it would be deserved of every bit of headline coverage it gets. It would be the same as Bohs, Shelbourne, Drogheda winning a European trophy (well, a bit less likely) in a sense because it would be an extraordinary occurance.

I don't dislike English football/footballers but the whole England national team 'thing' makes me cringe. Where Ireland goes to competitions with no hope, doomed and gloom etc, England go thinking they'll stroll it and then birate the players/managers at any chance. They don't know how good they have it.

If it was France vs England I'd support (I use the term loosley!) England for 2 reasons;

1) My girlfriend is English and I'd like to see her happy
    2) I was in Paris for the France game and call it sour grapes or whatever, but seeing them in the World Cup sickens me. I know its pathetic but you can't help how you feel. Its not just the Henry thing, its their pathetic and unenthusiastic support as well. They took victory for granted that night and I personally don't like it when such little excitement is placed on something so important

"Allez les Blues" my arse

(For the record I'll be supporting Argentina in World Cup as I've Higuain as my golden boot bet)

France suck, much love England

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

France, so then we can say that if Henry didn't hand ball we would've gone on to win the ****ing thing, the same way we would've still kept a clean sheet in Paris despite them being all over us and then beating them on penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

How could you not shout for a team full of players you watch every week in the EPL?

eagle eye wrote: »
    How could you not shout for a team full of players you watch every week in the EPL?

Don't forget buying jerseys too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭peejay1986

The French team has Evra, Malouda, Anelka, Gallas, Sagna and more from EPL. Should Arsenal fans automatically support France? You don't support the players, you support the team they're playing for. Well, I do anyway. Plus, a lot of the EPL players in England team I dislike. Just because I watch them doesn't mean I like them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I do mind hearing England rattle on about it if they win. If France wins, we'll hear nothing after a few weeks.

I wonder why that might be?*

*hint Ireland not swamped by Francophone media

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I want England to do well. Love some of their players.

I want France to get knocked out of the group stages due to some controversial situation.

The thing that would bother me most if France won would be seeing Le Cheat lift the WC and celebrate it

peejay1986 wrote: »
    The French team has Evra, Malouda, Anelka, Gallas, Sagna and more from EPL. Should Arsenal fans automatically support France? You don't support the players, you support the team they're playing for. Well, I do anyway. Plus, a lot of the EPL players in England team I dislike. Just because I watch them doesn't mean I like them.

Well said. I support Celtic so follow the spl for my sins but i have no interest whatsoever in the Scottish national team.

France, so then we can say that if Henry didn't hand ball we would've gone on to win the ****ing thing, the same way we would've still kept a clean sheet in Paris despite them being all over us and then beating them on penalties.

They were all over US?:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

I don't know if anyone has said this, but i think they can meet in the quarter finals not just the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

This has got to be the worst arguement for supporting the England team. The Premier League has so many players from all over the world.
    peejay1986 wrote: »
    The French team has Evra, Malouda, Anelka, Gallas, Sagna and more from EPL. Should Arsenal fans automatically support France?

Well said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Pretty much sounds like a post from someone who didn't even watch the two games. France weren't all over us!

But your right about one thing, it's so annoying how many people think we were cheated out of going to the world cup, we were actually only cheated out of the CHANCE of going to the world cup, there was nothing concrete about us going before Henry's goal.

Anyways I won't be supporting anyone, just gonna sit back and watch the best match available whenever I'm not in work and hope to see some great football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Villain wrote: »

speaking of looking at the wall chart...if Brazil win their group, Portugal come 2nd and Spain win theirs...1st round knock out is Spain Vs Portugal. Winner of that could face Italy. Could be a difficult few games for Spain if theyre gonna win it

• Advertisement
Advertisement