Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House prices still too high!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

ntlbell wrote: »
    They come for the low cooperate taxes.

they put up with having to pay higher wages.

Yes the low corporate tax is a driver, and yes they do "put up" with having to pay high wages as any company would like to reduce the cost.

However there are a number of other drivers here. Skill levels, work culture, language, geography and geopolitics, ease of doing business, to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

People on this forum have been saying for the last 4 years.

I can't see them falling further.

They're leveling out.

It's a good time to buy now

blah blah blah blah

We have I think 6-7k people join the live register in may.

People being reduced to 3 day weeks

salries decreasing.

in december we're going to see higher taxes, another 6 months of a growing live register.

possible interest hikes

etc.

everything is pointing toward continued falling in house prices.

Nothing, not one thing is suggesting that prices are about to level out or stop falling.

Or nothing I've seen.

Well let me point out a few

Nama

Banks lending again

A hugh amount of FTBs waiting to buy - Not sure on the figures here seen an estimate of 20k could be wrong

Gov will have to introduce a stimulas for property as there will be a simalur riot to Greece if people are forced out of there houses after the banks/builders being bailed out

Increase in population - Need more houses

Less builds from year to year from 2007 - 2010 - link somewhere

US ecconomy is on the up

UK ecconomy is on the up

We tend to mirror these two closer than any other

I mean to try and guess the market you may aswell take your 200k and feck it on a horse but as with the very basics of ecconomics it is cycles so we had a cycle of up we are in a cycle of down and to say that it will never stop is being as naive as the poor fecks who bought in late 2007 and where in negitive equity by the time they got through the front door. I am not telling anyone to buy like I said I reckon the market has a further 12months of correction and that will be it..Then a stagnant period for sometime who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

MuffinsDa wrote: »
    Yes the low corporate tax is a driver, and yes they do "put up" with having to pay high wages as any company would like to reduce the cost.

However there are a number of other drivers here. Skill levels, work culture, language, geography and geopolitics, ease of doing business, to name a few.

There is much more diverse levels of skills in just about any other country in the EU.

We constantly have to look to other countries to get skills we just can't find in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

fliball123 wrote: »
    I aggree I am only pointing this out to Gurramok who I have argued that Dublin/Ireland has a good international reputation specifically for IT he then denies this even do he himself works in IT...

Hold on. Now you're saying it has a good rep, what happened to 'major IT centre'?
    I never said this??? All I said was that we will be going down a two tier system ghost estates aside I cannot see Prices in Dublin/Galway/Cork the more densily populated areas coming down much further I called a floor I said around another 12 months of decreases (just an opinion)

But Gurramok has kinda proved my point he wants to live in dublin but in a nice area but wants to only pay 20% of what there are worth (we all would) but I cant see it happening. So whats his options he stated areas where there are no druggies (let me tell you I have seen more coke in D4 areas than I have in the likes of Finglas over the northiside, its everywhere)

There is way too much vested interest ala the gov for the property to come down that low..Once again this is opinion

Eh pal, i'm from Finglas. Keep digging that hole.

Its amazing when anyone who looks at my location automatically assumes I living the high D4 life.

gurramok wrote: »
    You're colleague fliball said it and you tried to back him up with your assertion of how Dublin is a big IT centre by listing the companies here.

fliball is not my colleague, and I did not try to back anyone up. What I tried and succeeded in was to refute your knowledge of nature and scope of IT in Ireland. Get over it.

IT ain't big enough to justify the high house prices.
    Yes, and I already agreed with that.
    Yes the locally employed 200.
    Yes. So the point being...?
    Funny man. where did I say 'vast swathes of Dublin are unsafe and unfit for the average buyer' ??
    You probably didn't, that's why I say I'm giving you a taste of your own medicine to illustrate how YOU make an argument by twisting words. How does it feel?
    I'm arguing the only areas that are available for the average buyer looking to buy at 205k are unsafe ones, agree?
    I am not sure. I have never looked at that price range and I haven't lived in those areas since I was a student. But I think it's the definition of average that matters as well. In most of Europe, "average" buyer in a capital city cannot afford a 4-bed detached house in a nice leafy area and lives in an apartment in the city. I think the expectation of the "average" person sometimes need to be double-checked here but that's another debate.

• Advertisement

Hold on. Now you're saying it has a good rep, what happened to 'major IT centre'?

Eh pal, i'm from Finglas. Keep digging that hole.

Its amazing when anyone who looks at my location automatically assumes I living the high D4 life.

Eh I lived there for a while aswell but it would considered a so called druggy area I have often heard south side toffs given the whole ah stay away from Finglas...I like Finglas and the people ...Just making the point to you be careful what you wish for with regard to a nice area as I say there are neally always bad apples in every barrell

Eh I lived there for a while aswell but it would considered a so called druggy area I have often heard south side toffs given the whole ah stay away from Finglas...I like Finglas and the people ...Just making the point to you be careful what you wish for with regard to a nice area as I say there are neally always bad apples in every barrell

I agree here look at London prices compared to the rest of the UK same point I tried to make about new york and Kansas...There will always be a keep up with the jones attitude amoungst people...that includes clothes, cars, houses, Girl friends and its on this attitude that I reckon that once the ecconomy starts to turn up again we will see house prices steady up.

There is much more diverse levels of skills in just about any other country in the EU.

Yes and No. There is increasing level of highly skilled people in other countries in the EU but the combination of other drivers and the skill levels in Ireland (and Ireland's ability to attract skilled people - which may jeopardized soon by xenophobic populist policies) still makes Ireland an attractive location for highly skilled jobs, as illustrated recently. Of course we must try and maintain this before we lose it like manufacturing, but that's another argument.

fliball is not my colleague, and I did not try to back anyone up. What I tried and succeeded in was to refute your knowledge of nature and scope of IT in Ireland. Get over it.

Nope, I was replying to examples of companies from fliball before you jumped in. You forgot HP in your major list as well. See how you are wrong by your own logic? :D

Yes. So the point being...?

Why push it as a big employer?
    You probably didn't, that's why I say I'm giving you a taste of your own medicine to illustrate how YOU make an argument by twisting words. How does it feel?

You make generalisations, a difference there.
    I am not sure. I have never looked at that price range and I haven't lived in those areas since I was a student. But I think it's the definition of average that matters as well. In most of Europe, "average" buyer in a capital city cannot afford a 4-bed detached house in a nice leafy area and lives in an apartment in the city. I think the expectation of the "average" person sometimes need to be double-checked here but that's another debate.

Here you go again. Since when did an average buy seek to buy a 4bed in a leafy area?

Yet again, you not reading the posts. A safe area is required, not specifically a 'nice area'.
    There are many safe areas in Dublin, they are still overpriced.

In all fairness lads these discussions as enraged as I get when Gurramok tries to shimmy out of something :) they need to be aired there is so much kept from people its unreal could you imagine if some poor feck now maybe 100k in negitive equity if he knew about the boards and new that the whole house price issue was hanging over a precipise I gareentee you that these boards have saved some poor fecks a lot of money and agro and if I am beligerint in my beliefs they are mine I would never force anyone or advise anyone to do anything out of the norm at the monent the norm is not to buy a house and I wouldnt advise anyone to buy for another 12 months..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

OMD said this:
    OMD wrote: »
    You referred to a person on €40k a year....this income can get the majority of properties in Ireland for less than 5 times their income.

....in reply to my post which said this...
    Even if we assume an average Dublin salary is €40,000 (and I doubt it is that high), then 5x that is the absolute maximum somebody could borrow.

And I thought maybe I was being harsh barracking people for their shortcomings in reading comprehension. Sheesh.

Anyway, I couldn't give a monkeys. There's never been a better time to buy and you should all go out and buy gaffs. Knock yourselves out.

OMD said this:

And I thought maybe I was being harsh barracking people for their shortcomings in reading comprehension. Sheesh.

Anyway, I couldn't give a monkeys. There's never been a better time to buy and you should all go out and buy gaffs. Knock yourselves out.

Are you an Estate Agent

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Are you an Estate Agent

if he was an EA he would be trying to convince you to try and get 10X your wages ;)

Nope, I was replying to examples of companies from fliball before you jumped in.
    yes it's a forum and is designed for people jumping in at any stage. If you want a private conversation there's a different place for it.
    You forgot HP in your major list as well. See how you are wrong by your own logic? :D
    No I did not forget HP, most of it falls in "manufacturing" which is rapidly losing in Ireland as I mentioned. The exception to that is their consultancy operation which is probably still going relatively ok (but I don't have any up to date info on that). I fail to see how that make me wrong by my own logic, unless again your cognitive disorder and selective reading skills are at play.

Why push it as a big employer?

It employs 200 people, is increasing to 250, and I used it as an example of buoyancy at the high-end of IT market in Ireland.
    You make generalisations, a difference there.
    :P do I now....!!!!!

Here you go again. Since when did an average buy seek to buy a 4bed in a leafy area?
    Yet again, you not reading the posts. A safe area is required, not specifically a 'nice area'.
    There are many safe areas in Dublin, they are still overpriced.

I read your post very well. I do not have any personal knowledge of all parts of Lucan, Blanchardstown, Clondalkin and the like but I'm sure a lot of those are ok, as well as plenty of apartments nearer the city.

if he was an EA he would be trying to convince you to try and get 10X your wages ;)

All joking aside guys dont buy now give it another year...As Johnny Login said "whats another year"

Gurramok has gone quiet he must of bound a 7 bed in Foxrock for 10k good man

In all fairness lads these discussions as enraged as I get when Gurramok tries to shimmy out of something :) they need to be aired there is so much kept from people its unreal could you imagine if some poor feck now maybe 100k in negitive equity if he knew about the boards and new that the whole house price issue was hanging over a precipise I gareentee you that these boards have saved some poor fecks a lot of money and agro and if I am beligerint in my beliefs they are mine I would never force anyone or advise anyone to do anything out of the norm at the monent the norm is not to buy a house and I wouldnt advise anyone to buy for another 12 months..

Shimmy out of what fliball?

You said in your first post which was going good until you dropped this bombshell
    fliball wrote:
    there is value for money out there

I challenged this as having no basis especially in Dublin and you reply saying its like that in NY, then you say its based on IT (with backup examples from MuffinsDa).

You are contradictory is an understatement.

If there is 'value out there' which signifies the bottom, why should someone hold off until another 12months?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

OMD said this:

No, in reply to my post that said:
    "The average home is now affordable to the average earner which it wasn't before. That at least is progress."

You said:
    I]"Even if we assume an average Dublin salary is €40,000 (and I doubt it is that high), then 5x that is the absolute maximum somebody could borrow. Sensibly, it should be as low as 3x. But whatever, I looked in South Dublin for a €200,000 "average house". [/I]

You then went on to say €38,000 gives a take home salary of €2300 not the €2700 I had said. (despite the fact that I was correct)

You then said that 33% of €2300 is €759 even though it is €766. Although why you brought it up as I was talking about 35% of take home pay.

In reply to all this I said:
    OMD wrote: »
    To Treehouse and Guramok, the ESRI quarterly price index says average house price in Ireland was €204,830 in March 2010. There is more to Ireland than South County Dublin. I think we can safely assume prices have continued to fall in the last 3 months so that means the average property in IRELAND is less than €200,000.

Now I wasn't going to mention any of this as I dont want to be "harsh barracking people for their shortcomings in reading comprehension. Sheesh."

Shimmy out of what fliball?

You said in your first post which was going good until you dropped this bombshell

I challenged this as having no basis especially in Dublin and you reply saying its like that in NY, then you say its based on IT (with backup examples from MuffinsDa).

You are contradictory is an understatement.

If there is 'value out there' which signifies the bottom, why should someone hold off until another 12months?

And I stand by that ... but what people have to judge for themselves is and this for people who want to buy there own home is. Is it better to get a mortgage for a house that will be worth I would say about 5 / 10% in a years time but where the interest rates could be true the roof and in that dicotomy I have pulled back and instead of telling people to buy I am saying its up to the individual I dont know everyones own personal circumstances but as rightly pointed out the average hous in the country is close to 200k the average wage was 37?? I stand to be corrected on this but the multiple is just over 5 times the average salary. So if your a couple and both working multiples are less...So I do stand by what I said but the unknown is where are interrest rates going to be in 12 months.????

yes it's a forum and is designed for people jumping in at any stage. If you want a private conversation there's a different place for it.

It would of been handy if you can actually follow the conversation.
    No I did not forget HP, most of it falls in "manufacturing" which is rapidly losing in Ireland as I mentioned. The exception to that is their consultancy operation which is probably still going relatively ok (but I don't have any up to date info on that). I fail to see how that make me wrong by my own logic, unless again your cognitive disorder and selective reading skills are at play.

Its an employer with a few hundred in R&D/services. You said I was wrong not to list Oracle, SAP etc, you are wrong on your own logic by failing to mention other major IT employers.
    It employs 200 people, is increasing to 250, and I used it as an example of buoyancy at the high-end of IT market in Ireland.

Its a welcome alright, it just ain't big enough to hire the entire computer science class out of Trinity just yet :D

I read your post very well. I do not have any personal knowledge of all parts of Lucan, Blanchardstown, Clondalkin and the like but I'm sure a lot of those are ok, as well as plenty of apartments nearer the city.

Lets see. Lucan has poor quality housing but would not turn it down. Still too pricey for an average buyer pitching at 205k. Blanch has good and bad, same high pricing as Lucan for a safe area.
    Clondalkin, rather live near the village. Even higher pricing here than Blanch.

All 3 areas out of reach for that average buyer with 205k spending power in his pocket.
    Apartments near the city, any in mind?
    Gurramok has gone quiet he must of bound a 7 bed in Foxrock for 10k good man

Nah, i'm still here to counter your arguments. Don't worry about that :D

• Advertisement

with backup examples from MuffinsDa).

Once more, seeing that you are unable to read or comprehend, I was not backing anyone up, I was refuting YOUR point and pointing out at your lack of knowledge.

I can see why you keep repeating it though: to muddy the water by linking me to him (seeing that perhaps some of his argument is also weak) and that way perhaps no one notice how little you know. But it doesn't work :)

Otherwise, if that's what you genuinely believe after all discussions then no wonder you are so wrong in other subjects - if you can pick up something as simple and straighforward as this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Go on then, I'll bite.
    Nama

Banks lending again

A hugh amount of FTBs waiting to buy - Not sure on the figures here seen an estimate of 20k could be wrong

Gov will have to introduce a stimulas for property as there will be a simalur riot to Greece if people are forced out of there houses after the banks/builders being bailed out

Increase in population - Need more houses

Less builds from year to year from 2007 - 2010 - link somewhere

US ecconomy is on the up

UK ecconomy is on the up

We tend to mirror these two closer than any other

Nama - You'd need to elaborate on that one?

Banks are lending to incredibly safe borrowers using the strictest criteria this country has seen in a decade (not a bad thing either).

A huge amount of FTB's waiting to buy that won't stand a chance of getting a mortgage based on the lending criteria and don't have the deposits required.
    Also previous FTB's who have decided they are better off renting rather than risk negative equity.

The government will not incentivise or create stimulus for property.
    That is just out of this world stuff.

Net emigration

New builds are pretty much irrelevant with the oversupply.

Other economies may be on the up and might drag us up a little bit with them but that will not have a dramatic effect on property prices in this country where there is still a vast over supply.

Its an employer with a few hundred in R&D/services. You said I was wrong not to list Oracle, SAP etc, you are wrong on your own logic by failing to mention other major IT employers.

I really have to doubt your claim of working in IT if you lack the basic logical skill of being able to differentiate between "for example" and "this is a fully inclusive list". FYI, I used the former. And where did I say you were wrong not to list those exactly?!? I listed them as examples of employers who do have lots of R&D and services.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

And I stand by that ... but what people have to judge for themselves is and this for people who want to buy there own home is. Is it better to get a mortgage for a house that will be worth I would say about 5 / 10% in a years time but where the interest rates could be true the roof and in that dicotomy I have pulled back and instead of telling people to buy I am saying its up to the individual I dont know everyones own personal circumstances but as rightly pointed out the average hous in the country is close to 200k the average wage was 37?? I stand to be corrected on this but the multiple is just over 5 times the average salary. So if your a couple and both working multiples are less...So I do stand by what I said but the unknown is where are interrest rates going to be in 12 months.????

ECB rate will be about 1% higher

Zamboni wrote: »
    Go on then, I'll bite.

Banks are lending to incredibly safe borrowers using the strictest criteria this country has seen in a decade (not a bad thing either).

A huge amount of FTB's waiting to buy that won't stand a chance of getting a mortgage based on the lending criteria and don't have the deposits required.
    Also previous FTB's who have decided they are better off renting rather than risk negative equity.

Net emigration

Other economies may be on the up and might drag us up a little bit with them but that will not have a dramatic effect on property prices in this country where there is still a vast over supply.

Vast over supply in places where people were never gona live in the first place.

It's not very vast in the industrial belt..

Zamboni wrote: »
    Go on then, I'll bite.

Net emigration

Nama will be taking houses/loans that are gone into say liquidation and holding them off the market therefore decreasing supply. Which I believe was the whole unhanded purpose of Nama. I dont agree with it but this is what it will do and it will put these properties out for sale when the supply in areas have dried up and drip feed and the gov is the only institution that can do this as it has our tax money to back it up.

The FTBs a lot of them that I was reading about have between 50% - 80% of the equity up for a property so as I say there are a lot of people waiting (since 2002) to buy

So you reckon that if our unemployment goes above 20% and people cant afford mortgages do you really think that these people will be given say 12 month momatorium on it and then pay or get out...There would be bigger risen then in 1916 after the developers/banks bailout so I reckon there will be something coming in with in a few years

Yeah Net emigration is still outdone by birth rate/death rate here in Ireland

Oversupply see Nama above

As for the ecconomy it will effect housing of course it will even if it is just inflationary

bryaner wrote: »
    ECB rate will be about 1% higher

How do you know this??? not digging just would like to know :)

Once more, seeing that you are unable to read or comprehend, I was not backing anyone up, I was refuting YOUR point and pointing out at your lack of knowledge.

I can see why you keep repeating it though: to muddy the water by linking me to him (seeing that perhaps some of his argument is also weak) and that way perhaps no one notice how little you know. But it doesn't work :)

Otherwise, if that's what you genuinely believe after all discussions then no wonder you are so wrong in other subjects - if you can pick up something as simple and straighforward as this!
    I really have to doubt your claim of working in IT if you lack the basic logical skill of being able to differentiate between "for example" and "this is a fully inclusive list". FYI, I used the former. And where did I say you were wrong not to list those exactly?!? I listed them as examples of employers who do have lots of R&D and services.

God, your posts are getting cyclical without any logic of skill.

Here:
    fliball wrote:
    Come on Gurramok so Ireland has not been a nation to benefit from the dotcom and then the tech boom. The big companies all have or had bases here Intel, Microsoft, IBM, Dell, Compaq, Gateway, EA have just opened up there somewhere aswell.
    me wrote:
    How do you define IT? Intel, Microsoft, IBM, Dell, Compaq, Gateway, EA mostly have/had manufacturing operations here with a flake of R&D and services thrown in.(eg: EA)

By managing to list extra companies without asking me first, you think you have superior knowledge of IT.
    Fyi pal, I was not asked for a list. I was responding to the examples that your colleague fliball was listing.

We can have a race of listing IT companys all night if you wish to be that pedantic.

It does not prove one iota to justify high house prices in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

The FTBs a lot of them that I was reading about have between 50% - 80% of the equity up for a property so as I say there are a lot of people waiting (since 2002) to buy

Do you have a link for this?
    I can't even imagine who, how or where this research was compiled or conducted by.
    Or the 20k FTB's estimate you mentioned previously?

• Advertisement

How do you know this??? not digging just would like to know :)

A recent European recommendation

Advertisement