Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House prices still too high!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

gurramok wrote: »
    Have you examined said properties? Where should a person on 50k desire to live, what type of gaff they should be looking at?

How will the public sector save high house prices? They had pay cuts too.

Incomes never tracked high house prices in the first place. Prices are still way ahead of incomes, one thing needs to give and it ain't incomes.

No I havent I have my house near paid for and dont want to move your problem is you want your castle in the middle of dalkey and you cant understand why the prices wont drop ...I have tried to reason with you as too why Dublin is priced above the rest of the country to which you have ignored so there is no point continuing the debate but for any sensible person

Higher population + more jobs + better infrastructure = higher house price

Most public sector unions are entering disscussions into the croke park aggreement which means feck all more cuts for the P.S I could be wrong on this one...havent been keeping up to date with it. anyone know what the exact repercussions are for the ps if they agree

As for the prices once again

35 - 37k is the average wage at the moment
    204k average house price

its not a kick in the arse of 1/5th

oflahero wrote: »
    If there are mass repossessions then it will be because there will have been mass job losses. House prices are just a consequence. An interest in keeping house prices high is just treating the symptom and keeping the 'have's in society in clover. The taxpayer will be screwed because the economy fell off a cliff, not because house prices dropped!

I would rather see prices go where they should be going I agree there was a bubble but you cant deny that the gov has an interest in keeping prices up? As I say I dont agree with it but our taxes have become linked to property prices.

Like I said if house prices go down there will be more repossessions as you rightly said as this will probably be due to more unemployment. These people still need a place to live so we will be paying for these people out of taxes....Or do you think they will be just fecked out in the street...As if that happens there will be another rising on our hands....and you couldnt blame them after the big boys got their nama....Either way you cut it house prices going down although great for the house buyer but the money you put in your pocket will be stolen by mr tax man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

fliball123 wrote: »
    No I havent I have my house near paid for and dont want to move your problem is you want your castle in the middle of dalkey and you cant understand why the prices wont drop ...I have tried to reason with you as too why Dublin is priced above the rest of the country to which you have ignored so there is no point continuing the debate but for any sensible person

Most public sector unions are entering disscussions into the croke park aggreement which means feck all more cuts for the P.S I could be wrong on this one...havent been keeping up to date with it. anyone know what the exact repercussions are for the ps if they agree

204k average house price

You don't quite get it do you. I'm not looking for a castle in Dalkey, i'm looking for perhaps a house in Blanch or Lucan as the previous poster mentioned on these areas.

The majority of the entire workforce has had some sort of pay freeze or pay cut and we all have had hikes in income taxes aka levys. That means decreasing disposable income.

"Higher population + more jobs + better infrastructure = higher house price". Any sensible person will know this is not true. They can all be on 20k, it would not make any difference unless most were high earners which they are not.

Of course, Dublin prices will be higher than that cottage in Longford, the problem is that they are still too high in Dublin to justify the lack of demand.

If 35-37k according to you is the average wage, what can they get for 205k in Dublin? This is one big mystery in which bulls like you cannot answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

you cant deny that the gov has an interest in keeping prices up?

Oh it certainly does! Any glance at a member's interests list will confirm that one immediately...

You don't quite get it do you. I'm not looking for a castle in Dalkey, i'm looking for perhaps a house in Blanch or Lucan as the previous poster mentioned on these areas.

The majority of the entire workforce has had some sort of pay freeze or pay cut and we all have had hikes in income taxes aka levys. That means decreasing disposable income.

"Higher population + more jobs + better infrastructure = higher house price". Any sensible person will know this is not true. They can all be on 20k, it would not make any difference unless most were high earners which they are not.

Of course, Dublin prices will be higher than that cottage in Longford, the problem is that they are still too high in Dublin to justify the lack of demand.

If 35-37k according to you is the average wage, what can they get for 205k in Dublin? This is one big mystery in which bulls like you cannot answer.

Bulls like me are you the pot or kettle there

there are 87 properties in blanck and 197 in Lucan for under 250k feel free to look

So I am sorry about the castle in dalkey you want it in Blanch :)

Higher population + more jobs + better infrastructure = higher house

and this holds everywhere even in the likes of ****ing china where little huts in the likes of Hong Kong are more expensive than other little shanty towns outside the lets hear it people the lesser densily populated areas did you not do geography in school.

You just dont get it and I am afraid you never will

The 35/37k is average and for every person earing 20 there is someone earnig 60k

my fundamental point is if your earning 1/5th of the property price like the house willing to stay there for 20years + and have a steady job go for it.

Anyway look no point in the name calling its a discussion just because I believe something different to you but the proof is in the pudding ala and I will put this in bold for you

DUBLIN PRICES ARE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE REST OF THE COUNTRY SO THERE IS THE PROOF OF
    OR IS THERE SOMEWHERE MORE EXPENSIVE?

• Advertisement

Looks like everyone has left work for the day..Anyway talk to you all tomorrow its been good sparring with yez all

And Gurramok once again

Dublin is higher prices because of the equation I gave you and proof is out there in when you try to buy a house in dublin if you where to move a house from dublin and slap in the back arse of say offaly it would be worth about half. Why is that????? hint I gave you the equation earlier

Bulls like me are you the pot or kettle there

there are 87 properties in blanck and 197 in Lucan for under 250k feel free to look

So I am sorry about the castle in dalkey you want it in Blanch :)

and this holds everywhere even in the likes of ****ing china where little huts in the likes of Hong Kong are more expensive than other little shanty towns outside the lets hear it people the lesser densily populated areas did you not do geography in school.

You just dont get it and I am afraid you never will

The 35/37k is average and for every person earing 20 there is someone earnig 60k

my fundamental point is if your earning 1/5th of the property price like the house willing to stay there for 20years + and have a steady job go for it.

Anyway look no point in the name calling its a discussion just because I believe something different to you but the proof is in the pudding ala and I will put this in bold for you

DUBLIN PRICES ARE MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE REST OF THE COUNTRY SO THERE IS THE PROOF OF
    OR IS THERE SOMEWHERE MORE EXPENSIVE?
    Looks like everyone has left work for the day..Anyway talk to you all tomorrow its been good sparring with yez all

And Gurramok once again

Dublin is higher prices because of the equation I gave you and proof is out there in when you try to buy a house in dublin if you where to move a house from dublin and slap in the back arse of say offaly it would be worth about half. Why is that????? hint I gave you the equation earlier

Writing it in bold does not make your argument valid.

Average in Lucan seems to be 240k for a house on 42 results with the lower priced ones near Neilstown. I don't want to live in Sheepmore or Fortlawn in Blanch. Thanks for asking.

Where did I dispute that Dublin prices are not more expensive than the rest of the country?

Dublin has a much lower population density than HK. Just like comparing Dublin to London to justify high house prices does not wash.

I'm still waiting for examples of houses for 205k in liveable areas in Dublin. You cannot seem to provide them which makes your case silly just like when you said high prices are good for taxes.
    fliball wrote:
    And the kicker we all now have a vested interest in the property prices at the very least leveling off and going up as our taxes are paying for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Gurramok, you're wasting your time. It's obvious your arguments are correct, but the other posters will never be able to agree with you because:
    • They're incapable of admitting they're wrong.
    • They're emotional thinkers so are unable to think rationally.
    • They're suffering from all sorts of cognitive biases.
    • They lack intelligence.

These problems dominate boards.ie, and are the reasons why this is my last ever post. Too many ****ing morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Gurramok, you're wasting your time. It's obvious your arguments are correct, but the other posters will never be able to agree with you because:

These problems dominate boards.ie, and are the reasons why this is my last ever post. Too many ****ing morons.

Bye missing you already:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭MuffinsDa

AARRRGH wrote: »

Well, if anyone disagreeing with you or anyone you like is a ****ing moron then add me to that. Your above post is a clear sign of your arrogance, and I for one am delighted that it was your last ever post if that's your attitude and your level o intelligence. Good riddance. But I've been around long enough to be almost certain that this won't be your last post. So when you come back, perhaps try and use a suitable language and use the right end of your body for speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

I enquired today about a site that has been for sale for what seems like an age. 1 acre in north Louth, with planning for a 2200 sq ft house. Anyone like to hazard a guess? This is the site in question http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?search=1&selected_agent=&id=468748&s[agent_id]=925&s[p]=spqsqyyp&fr=default
    I am going in to give the EA a 2010 calendar tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

[/B]

So if a house in Blanch came on the market for 300k and you earned 60k, you'd think that's good value :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

TommyT wrote: »
    I enquired today about a site that has been for sale for what seems like an age. 1 acre in north Louth, with planning for a 2200 sq ft house. Anyone like to hazard a guess? This is the site in question http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?search=1&selected_agent=&id=468748&s[agent_id]=925&s[p]=spqsqyyp&fr=default
    I am going in to give the EA a 2010 calendar tomorrow.

I'd guess a 100k.

My offer would be less than 10k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TommyT

Offers over €300k. Is it really 2006?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Most public sector unions are entering discussions into the croke park aggreement which means feck all more cuts for the P.S I could be wrong on this one...havent been keeping up to date with it. anyone know what the exact repercussions are for the ps if they agree

204k average house price

You really think people need it explained to them (repeatedly) why Dublin house prices are higher than they are in Letterkenny? Please, honestly, give us a break. You are about 10 pages behind if you think people don't already know this stuff.

More importantly, your numbers are bogus. A median Dublin salary is €38,000 according to this:

http://www.payscale.com/research/IE/Country=Ireland/Salary/by_City

An average Dublin house price is €250,000:

http://www.esri.ie/irish_economy/permanent_tsbesri_house_p/

That is 6.6x that median salary. This international report recently said that 3x represented a sign of affordability:

http://finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1018886.shtml

We also know that 3x was the historical norm in Ireland pre-bubble. And since credit availability going forward is likely to be closer to pre-bubble levels and, in all likelihood, considerably tighter, that 3x multiple is far more likely to be the norm in future.

In addition to which, lending criteria now stipulate that mortgage holders only spend 1/3 of disposable income on repayments. That €38,000 Dublin salary nets €2,373pm for a single person (to keep the sums simple). 1/3 of that is €783:

http://www.deloitte.ie/tc/Results.aspx

€783 is c. a 2.8% interest rate over 40 years on a c. €250,000 mortgage. You would need that rate to last over the 40 years to come out even. I do not believe this rate is available in Ireland for anything other than teaser periods for FTBs. The repayments at 3.8% over 30 years (a more likely, but still historically low, rate that is available now and over a saner repayment period) are €1,089pm. That's about 50% more than the 2.8%/40 year deal. I have tried several mortgage calulators and that €1,098 is by a mile the smallest repayment I can find. On this BoI caulctor, they have a 5 year fix costing €1250pm over 30 years.

http://www.bankofireland.ie/personal/borrowing/mortgages/repayments.html

Notice a little coincidence here? Lending mutliples are c.50% too high and repayments are likely to be 50% too high for salaries to bear. Quelle surprise.

More. Here are two identical properties, one for rent and one for sale. The one for sale is at our "average" €250,000 and the rental is Let Agreed asking €925. Let us assume it cleared at €850 (which is a generous assumption as rent negotiations are clearing at least 10% below asking nowadays).

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=531181
    http://www.property.ie/property-to-let/Belgrave-View-Belgrave-Square-Rathmines-Dublin-6/860390/

Now, a 6% gross yield on the rental property suggest a price of €155,000 (850*11/.06). For a 5% gross yield, €187,000. That is about - shock horror whuddathunk?? - 30% below the asking on the one for sale. And it is being very generous to suggest an investor would make do with a yield this low.

Let us throw into the mix:
    > Tightening credit terms
    > The phasing out LTV's above 90%
    > Emigration
    > Higher costs of ownership through management fees and property tax
    > Other taxes rising
    > Negative investor sentiment
    > Falling wages
    > Rising unemployment

...and a million and one other things we all know well.

On the upside we have:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Conclusion: You can slice and dice it any one of a thousand ways, house prices are going to fall another 30% - 40%. All the hot air and piss 'n' vinegar ain't gonna change that.

TommyT wrote: »
    Offers over €300k. Is it really 2006?

Hang on I put up a couple of things in the criteria when I said this..

I said that if you were earning 1/5th of the price
    You had a steady job aka the public sector
    And you were willing to stay in the house for 20 years +

Then yes I would go for it.

What people need to realise is that although prices will go down further the amount paid on growing interest in the future will be a fair bit more then add on what your paying for rent.

Look everyone is different as I said originally gut feeling tells to hang on maybe another 6/12 months but if you see something you like and you meet the 3 items above in the criteria I would be all on for putting in a bid of say 20% less again and haggle to somewhere in between.

You really think people need it explained to them (repeatedly) why Dublin house prices are higher than they are in Letterkenny? Please, honestly, give us a break. You are about 10 pages behind if you think people don't already know this stuff.

More importantly, your numbers are bogus. A median Dublin salary is €38,000 according to this:

That is 6.6x that median salary. This international report recently said that 3x represented a sign of affordability:

http://finfacts.ie/irishfinancenews/article_1018886.shtml

We also know that 3x was the historical norm in Ireland pre-bubble. And since credit availability going forward is likely to be closer to pre-bubble levels and, in all likelihood, considerably tighter, that 3x multiple is far more likely to be the norm in future.

In addition to which, lending criteria now stipulate that mortgage holders only spend 1/3 of disposable income on repayments. That €38,000 Dublin salary nets €2,373pm for a single person (to keep the sums simple). 1/3 of that is €783:

€783 is c. a 2.8% interest rate over 40 years on a c. €250,000 mortgage. You would need that rate to last over the 40 years to come out even. I do not believe this rate is available in Ireland for anything other than teaser periods for FTBs. The repayments at 3.8% over 30 years (a more likely, but still historically low, rate that is available now and over a saner repayment period) are €1,089pm. That's about 50% more than the 2.8%/40 year deal. I have tried several mortgage calulators and that €1,098 is by a mile the smallest repayment I can find. On this BoI caulctor, they have a 5 year fix costing €1250pm over 30 years.

Notice a little coincidence here? Lending mutliples are c.50% too high and repayments are likely to be 50% too high for salaries to bear. Quelle surprise.

More. Here are two identical properties, one for rent and one for sale. The one for sale is at our "average" €250,000 and the rental is Let Agreed asking €925. Let us assume it cleared at €850 (which is a generous assumption as rent negotiations are clearing at least 10% below asking nowadays).

http://www.daft.ie/searchsale.daft?id=531181
    http://www.property.ie/property-to-let/Belgrave-View-Belgrave-Square-Rathmines-Dublin-6/860390/

Now, a 6% gross yield on the rental property suggest a price of €155,000 (850*11/.06). For a 5% gross yield, €187,000. That is about - shock horror whuddathunk?? - 30% below the asking on the one for sale. And it is being very generous to suggest an investor would make do with a yield this low.

Let us throw into the mix:
    > Tightening credit terms
    > The phasing out LTV's above 90%
    > Emigration
    > Higher costs of ownership through management fees and property tax
    > Other taxes rising
    > Negative investor sentiment
    > Falling wages
    > Rising unemployment

...and a million and one other things we all know well.

On the upside we have:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Conclusion: You can slice and dice it any one of a thousand ways, house prices are going to fall another 30% - 40%. All the hot air and piss 'n' vinegar ain't gonna change that.

This is an arguement with Gurramok who doesnt understand why dublin is priced more than the rest of the country

Also show me one country that has a 3x of salary to property ratio

I still dont understand the bitterness coming from some people I just said what I would do I am telling people to do anything but what people on here need to understand is that there are people out there who want to buy I fortunately am not one of them..I am not saying oh lets all jump on the property again...If anyone reads this thing in full I have been open and tried to put a case forward for people who might want to buy I also put the negitives up (which I didnt need to as they were already here)

And there is no chance that house prices will fall by 30/40% from June 2010 prices I would hedge a bet at another 10% / 15% at most...I mean I have always said I guess or think but your so addiment that prices will continue falling its like anti bubble doctern that was on before people kept saying they can only go up and same now they can only go down...At some stage it will stop..So 285k was the average for Dublin so you reckon that you will get an average house in dublin say in 12/24 months time for about 170??? Not a chance

On the upside we have houses are getting more affordable
    The ecconomies all over the world are recovering
    Nama will be used to decrease supply

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭OMD

You are getting a little worked up about this Treehouse.:)

You are right that the average Dublin house is not affordable to the average single earner but it is not as bad as you think. First of all you are comparing median salary to average house price. This of course is an incorrect way to view things. You should compare average wage to average house price or else median wage to median house price. But we will let that go for the moment.

You are also looking at current median wage, compared with house prices 4+ months ago. As you know prices are falling. Assuming the price falls have not slowed down in the last 3 months compared with the 3 months before that, it means the current average house price in Dublin is €222,000 but lets assume prices are not falling as fast and say the average price is substantially higher at €230,000

Your maths is not very good. 33% of €2373 is not €783 it is €791 but that is not your biggest mistake. I have told you 3 times already that you are using the calculator incorrectly. The actual take home pay of a single person earning €38,664 is €2543 (your figures assume a self employed person which is really getting into niche markets).

So the question is how unaffordable is this average house worth €230,000 to the average single person taking home €2543 a month.

He will need a 10% deposit so will be looking for a €207,000 mortgage. EBS will offer a variable rate mortgage on this amount over 30 years at €883.92 a month which is 34.75% of take home pay. I agree however that someone in this situation should fix. So a 5 year fixed rate mortgage over 30 years would cost €1030 which is 40% of take home pay although it does leave slightly over €1500 a month after mortgage payments.
    http://online.ebs.ie/internet/forms/loan_centre/repay_calculator_result.jsp
    So I agree it is still not affordable to the careful purchaser but as I said things are not as bad as you think.

By the way I love in your calculation of rent cost and purchase cost you assume the renter will negotiate a discount of 10% but the buyer will pay the asking price:D You are right however that the return here at 4.5% is low.

Edit: Just as a short aside. When using your calculator of median wage maybe you should look at years experience. Traditionally the average first time buyer in Ireland is over thirty. Someone with over 10 years experience earns a median wage of €50,684. But that is a seperate issue I suppose.

This is an arguement with Gurramok who doesnt understand why dublin is priced more than the rest of the country

You're at this falsehood again despite me saying prices in Dublin are too high. Its not a case of city vs country. Prices in Dublin will always be higher than the country, they are simply too high at the moment.

And there is no chance that house prices will fall by 30/40% from June 2010 prices I would hedge a bet at another 10% / 15% at most...I mean I have always said I guess or think but your so addiment that prices will continue falling its like anti bubble doctern that was on before people kept saying they can only go up and same now they can only go down...At some stage it will stop..So 285k was the average for Dublin so you reckon that you will get an average house in dublin say in 12/24 months time for about 170??? Not a chance

On the upside we have houses are getting more affordable
    The ecconomies all over the world are recovering
    Nama will be used to decrease supply

So we have a figure of 285k for Dublin, thats a wage of 57k using your 5x logic, see how absurd that is?

You honestly believe Nama will stop prices falling I see. Ever hear of a 2nd hand market?

You're at this falsehood again despite me saying prices in Dublin are too high. Its not a case of city vs country. Prices in Dublin will always be higher than the country, they are simply too high at the moment.

So we have a figure of 285k for Dublin, thats a wage of 57k using your 5x logic, see how absurd that is?

You honestly believe Nama will stop prices falling I see. Ever hear of a 2nd hand market?

So are we arguing over nothing then...Well look like I said I agreed that prices are still too high everywhere I came out with a formula for people looking to buy ... So I appologise if I rubbed you up the wrong way but you were putting forward an argument as to why dublin prices are higher than the rest of the country if not I appologise but like I put in the formula of higher pop + more jobs + better infra = higher prices

So I will take the high road on this one...but I do agree property is still over priced but like I said its for individuals to look at there finances and check to see if it makes sense to buy in the next couple of months where you can still lock in a decent fixed rate loan. Also the Joker in the pack is Nama whats going to happen I have expressed my feelings about this what the gov are going to do with property. ala decrease supply.

So if supply is going to go down which it will
    If the ecconomy of Ireland mirror that of the US/UK which historiacally it does
    That to me are two strong indicators that a floor will be reached...

So its a bet as I said previous to buy a house you may as hell slap your money on a horse but if you in it for the long term ie 20 years + a home. I reckon you will be better off buy in the next while fixing in a nice low fixed rate and also saving on rent...

• Advertisement

OMD wrote: »
    You are right that the average Dublin house is not affordable to the average single earner but it is not as bad as you think.

Assuming the price falls have not slowed down in the last 3 months compared with the 3 months before that, it means the current average house price in Dublin is €222,000 but lets assume prices are not falling as fast and say the average price is substantially higher at €230,000

So the question is how unaffordable is this average house worth €230,000 to the average single person taking home €2543 a month.

He will need a 10% deposit so will be looking for a €207,000 mortgage. EBS will offer a variable rate mortgage on this amount over 30 years at €883.92 a month which is 34.75% of take home pay. I agree however that someone in this situation should fix. So a 5 year fixed rate mortgage over 30 years would cost €1030 which is 40% of take home pay although it does leave slightly over €1500 a month after mortgage payments.
    So I agree it is still not affordable to the careful purchaser but as I said things are not as bad as you think.

At least you see my point about prices been still too high In Dublin. Thank You.
    How do EBS offer a 30yr timespan VAR at 883? Its going to be more than that most of the time when rates do go up. Thats very misleading and dishonest from them. Fixed rates are indeed attractive.

If the average price is 230k and needing a mortgage of 207k, thats an average wage of 41.4k thats needed for a single buyer using the 5x formula. That average buyer would want a bigger deposit to ease the burden if buying now or of course just wait :)

OMD wrote: »
    You are getting a little worked up about this Treehouse.:)

You are right that the average Dublin house is not affordable to the average single earner but it is not as bad as you think. First of all you are comparing median salary to average house price. This of course is an incorrect way to view things. You should compare average wage to average house price or else median wage to median house price. But we will let that go for the moment.

You are also looking at current median wage, compared with house prices 4+ months ago. As you know prices are falling. Assuming the price falls have not slowed down in the last 3 months compared with the 3 months before that, it means the current average house price in Dublin is €222,000 but lets assume prices are not falling as fast and say the average price is substantially higher at €230,000

Your maths is not very good. 33% of €2373 is not €783 it is €791 but that is not your biggest mistake. I have told you 3 times already that you are using the calculator incorrectly. The actual take home pay of a single person earning €38,664 is €2543 (your figures assume a self employed person which is really getting into niche markets).

By the way I love in your calculation of rent cost and purchase cost you assume the renter will negotiate a discount of 10% but the buyer will pay the asking price:D You are right however that the return here at 4.5% is low.

Edit: Just as a short aside. When using your calculator of median wage maybe you should look at years experience. Traditionally the average first time buyer in Ireland is over thirty. Someone with over 10 years experience earns a median wage of €50,684. But that is a seperate issue I suppose.

OMD done the work for me here I checked out his figures and they make sence...Gurromok listen I would not advise people on under 30k or with a dodgy job to come anywhere near property lets be clear on that...I have no stake in this what so ever I have my gaff which I am very happy in I have about 2 years of payments to make and its mine weather it goes up down accross in value. I have 1 kid under 3 and another due in 2 months and the peace of mind I get when I know this is my house no landlord or other person is going to kick me out (except the wife :) ) but you need to understand there are people starting out in life that will be looking to buy ...I have tried to up front I pointed out the negitives and possitives in this...as I say every creature is different in what they have and what they need.

So are we arguing over nothing then...Well look like I said I agreed that prices are still too high everywhere I came out with a formula for people looking to buy ... So I appologise if I rubbed you up the wrong way but you were putting forward an argument as to why dublin prices are higher than the rest of the country if not I appologise but like I put in the formula of higher pop + more jobs + better infra = higher prices

So I will take the high road on this one...but I do agree property is still over priced but like I said its for individuals to look at there finances and check to see if it makes sense to buy in the next couple of months where you can still lock in a decent fixed rate loan. Also the Joker in the pack is Nama whats going to happen I have expressed my feelings about this what the gov are going to do with property. ala decrease supply.

So if supply is going to go down which it will
    If the ecconomy of Ireland mirror that of the US/UK which historiacally it does
    That to me are two strong indicators that a floor will be reached...

So its a bet as I said previous to buy a house you may as hell slap your money on a horse but if you in it for the long term ie 20 years + a home. I reckon you will be better off buy in the next while fixing in a nice low fixed rate and also saving on rent...

Well, I kept telling you my position yesterday but it fell on deaf ears ;)

If Nama tries that as you say, things are against them.

-Prices still too high do not help sales.
    -Strict or as I say normal lending will keep prices down.
    -Salaries have taken a knock and will take a while to recover.
    -Unknown tax hikes down the line to hit disposable income in order to balance the exchequer deficit
    -Quality of builds of mostly apts in urban areas militates against strong sales.
    -Down the line we do need a constant construction industry, not a bloated one like before so supply in demand areas cannot be held back for too long.
    -And the elephant in the room. Emigration of Irish adults means fewer buyers around as we know foreign people who immigrate here do not buy that much as they prefer to rent.

Well, I kept telling you my position yesterday but it fell on deaf ears ;)

If Nama tries that as you say, things are against them.

-Prices still too high do not help sales.
    -Strict or as I say normal lending will keep prices down.
    -Salaries have taken a knock and will take a while to recover.
    -Unknown tax hikes down the line to hit disposable income in order to balance the exchequer deficit
    -Quality of builds of mostly apts in urban areas militates against strong sales. -Down the line we do need a constant construction industry, not a bloated one like before so supply in demand areas cannot be held back for too long.
    -And the elephant in the room. Emigration of Irish adults means fewer buyers around as we know foreign people who immigrate here do not buy that much as they prefer to rent.

Well let me have a go at each of these

Point 1 - -Prices still too high do not help sales.

Agree with the prices high will not help sales but for anyone who has bought in the boom I garentee you they will not sell unless forced to sell, which means a repossession. Which means the house goes into Nama and stays there as it will decrease supply or goes on a fire sale which means Mr Tax payer pays more.

Point 2 -Strict or as I say normal lending will keep prices down.

I aggree but there is an estimated 80 million in savings within Ireland now I am not saying all these people are waiting to buy but its about time there was stricter laws. All this will do is regulate the amount thats sold and bought which should have happened ages ago. But sure there has been feck all sold in the last 2/3 years. But once again if you bought something back in 2006 for say 300k and your being offered 150k why would you sell? See point one for what will happens if your forced to sell

Point 3 - Salaries have taken a knock and will take a while to recover.
    Not everywhere has taken a knock and infact some people have got pay rises. The P.S are striking and the Gov is backed into a corner. Now IMF may come in and cut the **** of them but who knows whats going to happen there but no one knows whats going to happen.

Point 4 - -Unknown tax hikes down the line to hit disposable income in order to balance the exchequer deficit

Google Ireland tax and the law of diminishing returns this has already been pointed out to the gov and I reckon they can squeeze slightly more but if they keep going it will be like flogging a dead dog

Point 5 --Quality of builds of mostly apts in urban areas militates against strong sales. -Down the line we do need a constant construction industry, not a bloated one like before so supply in demand areas cannot be held back for too long.

Construction companies within Ireland are fecked have a look at the level of completions from 2005 to now and you will a sharp drop. What developer in there right mind would build in Ireland. The only people building now are individuals who want their dream home and the hoops and ****e that you have to go through for planning permission in this country is a dissaster..

Point 6 - -And the elephant in the room. Emigration of Irish adults means fewer buyers around as we know foreign people who immigrate here do not buy that much as they prefer to rent

Not so much an elephant. I agree Emigration of Irish adults is increasing but we are still more populated now than 10 years ago. Since 1960 birth vs death rates have excelled last year was the biggest baby boom in 119 years plus we still have an over hang of foreign immigrants. So it would have to double in amounts of people emigrating to be a serious problem.

And Nama for intense purpose is the biggest conspiracy the gov has ever pulled let me make it clear I hate what they have done they could of just nationalised the banks and let the anglos go to the wall but thats another days work. But it is essentally there to prop up the market

What was your position again Gurramok :)

Well let me have a go at each of these

Point 1 - -Prices still too high do not help sales.

Agree with the prices high will not help sales but for anyone who has bought in the boom I garentee you they will not sell unless forced to sell, which means a repossession. Which means the house goes into Nama and stays there as it will decrease supply or goes on a fire sale which means Mr Tax payer pays more.

Point 2 -Strict or as I say normal lending will keep prices down.

I aggree but there is an estimated 80 million in savings within Ireland now I am not saying all these people are waiting to buy but its about time there was stricter laws. All this will do is regulate the amount thats sold and bought which should have happened ages ago. But sure there has been feck all sold in the last 2/3 years. But once again if you bought something back in 2006 for say 300k and your being offered 150k why would you sell? See point one for what will happens if your forced to sell

Point 3 - Salaries have taken a knock and will take a while to recover.
    Not everywhere has taken a knock and infact some people have got pay rises. The P.S are striking and the Gov is backed into a corner. Now IMF may come in and cut the **** of them but who knows whats going to happen there but no one knows whats going to happen.

Point 4 - -Unknown tax hikes down the line to hit disposable income in order to balance the exchequer deficit

Google Ireland tax and the law of diminishing returns this has already been pointed out to the gov and I reckon they can squeeze slightly more but if they keep going it will be like flogging a dead dog

Point 5 --Quality of builds of mostly apts in urban areas militates against strong sales. -Down the line we do need a constant construction industry, not a bloated one like before so supply in demand areas cannot be held back for too long.

Construction companies within Ireland are fecked have a look at the level of completions from 2005 to now and you will a sharp drop. What developer in there right mind would build in Ireland. The only people building now are individuals who want their dream home and the hoops and ****e that you have to go through for planning permission in this country is a dissaster..

Point 6 - -And the elephant in the room. Emigration of Irish adults means fewer buyers around as we know foreign people who immigrate here do not buy that much as they prefer to rent

Not so much an elephant. I agree Emigration of Irish adults is increasing but we are still more populated now than 10 years ago. Since 1960 birth vs death rates have excelled last year was the biggest baby boom in 119 years plus we still have an over hang of foreign immigrants. So it would have to double in amounts of people emigrating to be a serious problem.

And Nama for intense purpose is the biggest conspiracy the gov has ever pulled let me make it clear I hate what they have done they could of just nationalised the banks and let the anglos go to the wall but thats another days work. But it is essentally there to prop up the market

1 - Since when do repossessions go into Nama? They certainly go to the banks but explain how they end up in Nama which are new builds only.

2 - You forget alot of people have homes already and will not buy more houses from their savings in a depressed market with feck all return.

There are alot of people out there stuck in negative equity, thats a huge chunk not buying.

3 - A minority have taken a payrise...have a look at the Politics forum for stats, most are on a pay freeze or a paycut and will take a few years to recover their disposable income. Yes, if IMF come in, all hands on deck!

4 - This is FF ya know. PS pay is not gonna be touched if that Croke Park agreement goes through. Cuts will come from welfare, captial spending and taxes of course. How high taxes go, we'll have to see. End result, less disposable income to support house prices.

5 - Most gaffs built in Dublin have been apts with shoddy workmanship. In my own, noise is an issue. Familes won't live in small Irish apts and that miltates against Nama. Most houses seemed to have been built in middle of nowhere!
    Construction will recover at some point once local oversupply in cleared, then building will return where demand exists.

6 - You do not make sense. Less Irish adults around mean less buyers. there are not more foreign people here than a year\2yrs ago, thats more rentals left over to soak up any more immigrants that may arrive.

Birth rate has no affect on housing units, these babies are not gonna buy until 30yrs time.

1 - Since when do repossessions go into Nama? They certainly go to the banks but explain how they end up in Nama which are new builds only.

2 - You forget alot of people have homes already and will not buy more houses from their savings in a depressed market with feck all return.

There are alot of people out there stuck in negative equity, thats a huge chunk not buying.

3 - A minority have taken a payrise...have a look at the Politics forum for stats, most are on a pay freeze or a paycut and will take a few years to recover their disposable income. Yes, if IMF come in, all hands on deck!

4 - This is FF ya know. PS pay is not gonna be touched if that Croke Park agreement goes through. Cuts will come from welfare, captial spending and taxes of course. How high taxes go, we'll have to see. End result, less disposable income to support house prices.

5 - Most gaffs built in Dublin have been apts with shoddy workmanship. In my own, noise is an issue. Familes won't live in small Irish apts and that miltates against Nama. Most houses seemed to have been built in middle of nowhere!
    Construction will recover at some point once local oversupply in cleared, then building will return where demand exists.

6 - You do not make sense. Less Irish adults around mean less buyers. there are not more foreign people here than a year\2yrs ago, thats more rentals left over to soak up any more immigrants that may arrive.

Birth rate has no affect on housing units, these babies are not gonna buy until 30yrs time.

Ok but your missing all the points I made

On Point 1: Nama isnt just for new builds are you serious. Nama will take over the loans weather they are new builds or for a building that was built 100 years ago and bought recently. These loans are against the asset of the building/property. If a person is forced to sell its a repossion and as I said it will either go into Namas Property portfolio (reducing supply) or there will be firesale which will result in more of the tax money paying for this instead of paying off the national debt.

On Point 2: There are a ****e load of FTBs waiting to buy...like I have said to you if your looking for an investment property here in Ireland is not the place for it. If your buying home for 20years+ and remember FTBs want to buy they have to weigh up how much of a drop in prices there will be. how much higher will interest rates be by the time they want to buy and then factor in how much will they pay in rent in that time.

On Point 3/4: No one knows if there is going to be more paycuts that said I dont think there will be too many payrises. The public sector for the last 15 years has driven the wages in this country they were streets ahead years ago then got benchmarked up. and now dont want to be cut and the Croker agreement to me says that wage prices are stablising Could be wrong and if I am then IMF is in and if that happens I will be on the first plane to Oblivion.

On point 5 - I agree there hasnt been enough regulation with regard to property builds. Families will live where they are put you cant have both ways like less wages , higher taxes, more unemployement and then if someone is in that unfortunate position and losses a house and are offered somewhere to live I garentee you most families will jump at the chance to live somewhere. Construction will never come back as big as it was...Not in a million years. Once again you cant have it both ways your saying that banks will not lend as they are stricter well the same applies here for construction companies looking for loans.

On point 6 - 6 - Well let me go through it again we are still more populated now than 10 years ago we have more birth rates increasing all the time from 40 years ago. So the adults leaving are being replaced all time. 18th birthday your an adult. All I am trying to point out is that emigration will only be a factor if it doubles. Not saying it wont but at the moment it isnt a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Ok but your missing all the points I made

On Point 1: Nama isnt just for new builds are you serious. Nama will take over the loans weather they are new builds or for a building that was built 100 years ago and bought recently. These loans are against the asset of the building/property. If a person is forced to sell its a repossion and as I said it will either go into Namas Property portfolio (reducing supply) or there will be firesale which will result in more of the tax money paying for this instead of paying off the national debt.

No offence inteneded here but you clearly have absolutely no grasp of Nama or its mandate.

Zamboni wrote: »
    No offence inteneded here but you clearly have absolutely no grasp of Nama or its mandate.

Well then go ahead educate...what part of what I said have I got wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Just spotted this
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/property/2010/0610/1224272187779.html?via=mr

Still a bit pricey for a one bed. Would these be considered fire sales??

Advertisement