Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transponder list as file ?

• 29-05-2010 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

I've set up a motor on my dish and am now updating/insertibg transponder data by hand.
    It's possible to use an editor and upload a .BIN file to the receiver with the transponder data.
    My receiver is a Silversrest SL80(LIDL) . I've had it a for abour two years.
    Best part of it is the twin LNB tuners. My SKY dish is fixed and feeds tuner 1.
    Motor system feeds tuner 2. So even if I screw up the motorised dish setup , my sky is still on line. :)

The LIDL*SAT list is limited to 5 sats. and the transponder details are out of date.
    I've been using Lyngsat.com as a guide.

Now the question:

Has anybody got (or knows where to find) an updated .BIN file of the transponder data for all the Northern Hemisphere sats ? In a format that could be uploaded to the receiver ? T'wud save a lot of fiddling with nos.
    Google has been trawled to no avail... I suspect a German site may have it , but my German is NIL

I suspect they change frequently and even a slighlty out of date file would do :)

A.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭nikon1000

There is editor software for the SL80 at http://www.mysilvercrest.de/en/artikel.php?a=129&av=2 I'd imagine you can use this software to create a transponder data file which you can upload to the receiver. You'll need a serial cable like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Serial-Modem-Cable-Female-electrosmart/dp/B00387C7C6/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275159537&sr=8-18 to upload and maybe a USB/Serial adaptor if your computer has no serial port.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Anchises

Thanks for the info.

Maplin sell a usb/rs232 cable that costs Euro 33.00 aprox . :eek:

And my laptop is LInux ....

I may need to haul the receiver to my XP desktop, (or vice versa) to do this.
    It has RS232.

A.

The silvercrest SL80 has a mini USB connector behond the front opening flap.
    I was able to connect a cable and USB stick there. (you must force it to read the USB -it's not automatic.)

It's then only a matter of saving the channels to USB .
    MENU : system settings -> software update -> USb _>
    (it only offers the option if a USB stick is attached !)
    It creates a file called CHANLIST.BIN. This can be edited by the downloaded editor.

I'm now able to edit it on my XP pc and upload it from the stick when completed. No need of RS232 - USB adaptor.

It looks like you could also update the system software via this USB feature, (if there were any software updates. :)

A word of caution: The silvercrest site says that the SL80 and SL250 editors are not compatible. They access different versions of the database(BIN file). Versions 1.0 and 1.1. It implies that one will not work with the other.
    Obviously, my SL80 is a later model because it would not work with editor stated to be for the SL80. It worked fine with the editor for the 250 model.
    At least in editing it. Presumably it *will* upload when finished editing !

A.

re: above :
    'Software Update' should read 'channel list management' OOPS!

The modified file restored perfectly for me. :}

Advertisement