Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay People (Male Question)

Options
  • 29-05-2010 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭

I have a question for the males on here. First of all i have noting agaisnt gays, im happy there proud to be what they are and you would get a good laugh looking at them dancing around.

Does anyone else think that there not the most nicest people in the world.??

They seem to look down on you if youre a straight male.

I dont hate the gays i just wonder why there not really nice people. I knw some are but its my opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Stu

You sound quite young OP. Your generalising here. There are not so nice gay and straight people. Being a nice person has nothing to do with sexual orientation. How do you know somebody is gay by how they dance? Are "the gays" pinching your arse while dancing beside you ? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, just treat everyone how you would like to be treated and don't generalise about people based on any pre-concieved ideas you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am a straight male and know of a number of gay male in both Ireland and England. I have to say them being gay has never bing an issue for me. They are quiet nice people and a lot nicer than a lot of straight males in behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Stop lumping all people who are gay into the same group.
    Just because a person is gay that doesn't mean they can't be an asshat and stop basing what you think of men who are gay based on the one or two you might see.

Its like saying today I saw 3 cars they were all red, all cars are red.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I have a question for the males on here. First of all i have noting agaisnt gays, im happy there proud to be what they are and you would get a good laugh looking at them dancing around.

I dont hate the gays i just wonder why there not really nice people. I knw some are but its my opinion.

How many gay men do you know?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ding-dong

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

every subset of society has its bastards. you may be unfortunate enough to only know mean, unfriendly gays but trust me; the vast majority of gay guys are normal, decent folk who have no prejudice whatsoever against straight people.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

Lets change two words..... for replacements.... read what you have just writen and think really hard, about how silly it sounds..... BELOW

"have a question for the males on here. First of all i have noting agaisnt blacks, im happy there proud to be what they are and you would get a good laugh looking at them dancing around.

They seem to look down on you if youre a white male.

I dont hate the blacks i just wonder why there not really nice people. I knw some are but its my opinion."

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

I love the way those that insult the gays always precurse it with the a statement about how they have nothing against them
    im happy there proud to be what they are and you would get a good laugh looking at them dancing around.

Do you make statements like that in real life or just on the internet? Frankly if you do then I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't treat you like some sort of imbecile.

I'm not a trained chimp there for your acceptence or amusement.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

As a gay person this forum really depresses me. There are generally two types of posts on here- "I think I'm gay, dear god please help me", or "I think all gay men are effeminate and flamboyant/ all gay women are butch and man hating in 10 words or less persuade me that my narrow view is wrong". I really wish the mods could direct the O.P's to counselling websites or informative articles and be done with it. The same posts time and time again, it gets tired.

MicraBoy wrote: »

We haven't seen you dance yet!! ;) lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Well, depression is supposedly more common amongst gays thans heteros, so wouldn't that mean gay people are on average a little bit more cranky? :)

But I agree with the general consensus - there are dickheads in all walks of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

MicraBoy wrote: »
    I love the way those that insult the gays always precurse it with the a statement about how they have nothing against them

Do you make statements like that in real life or just on the internet? Frankly if you do then I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't treat you like some sort of imbecile.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

DubArk wrote: »
    We haven't seen you dance yet!! ;) lol

Trust me it wouldn't be acceptable or amusing......

but it would be sexxxxxyyyy:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

plsStop wrote: »
    As a gay person this forum really depresses me. There are generally two types of posts on here- "I think I'm gay, dear god please help me", or "I think all gay men are effeminate and flamboyant/ all gay women are butch and man hating in 10 words or less persuade me that my narrow view is wrong". I really wish the mods could direct the O.P's to counselling websites or informative articles and be done with it. The same posts time and time again, it gets tired.

With as little facetiousness as possible - what other stuff would you expect in a forum dealing solely with LGBT Issues-with-a-capital-I? There's gay/bi/trans people looking for advice specifically dealing with their sexuality/gender; there's straight people looking for advice about dealing with other people's sexuality gender; and there's some gay-interest news stories and entertainment stuff. I'm genuinely curious as to what huge areas are being missed that an LGBT subforum should be covering? (And, quite frankly, why you're not starting threads on them yourself)

As for just referring OPs to informative articles, I reckon there's some merit in not just having people read about other gay people of every stripe of the rainbow, but actually interacting with them in some way - whether they're gay and having trouble coming out or straight and somewhat backward in their views, having the wide variety of posters that frequent this board yammer away at them for a page or two works better for a lot of people than just reading, for understandable reasons. Yeah, it gets a little repetitive, but if it helps people, what's so depressing about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Ok, what other type of post would you like to see on here? And please feel free to start something of interest to you by the way!

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Nearly every forum on boards.ie suffers from Repeated Post Topic Syndrome (RPTS).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

OP I don't get the feeling gay men look down at me but I kind of understand your experience. I often find gay lads just generally uninterested in talking/being mates with straight guys. It's kind of understandable as straight guys are most likely demographic to be openly homophobic. I'd put it down more to gay lads being concerned you might not want to talk/know them rather than having a superiority complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

OP I don't get the feeling gay men look down at me but I kind of understand your experience. I often find gay lads just generally uninterested in talking/being mates with straight guys. It's kind of understandable as straight guys are most likely demographic to be openly homophobic. I'd put it down more to gay lads being concerned you might not want to talk/know them rather than having a superiority complex.

That definitely goes both ways. Straight guys, not homophobic, just "generally uninterested in talking/being mates with" teh gays. Wouldn't usually see anything malicious behind it. Just an assumption that there wouldn't be much crossover of interests or tastes. Goes both ways.

I do have this conversation with my boyfriend quite a bit though. His friends are pretty much all either gay or female. He's definitely a bit uncomfortable (perceptively, though might not admit it) around a group of straight guys. I guess I never really had that opportunity -- I never really knew any gay people growing up. It was straight friends or no friends. And for me, unless I'm looking to get off with someone, they could enjoy sex with goats for all I care.

Which annoys the better half to no end. He's grown up and always had access to a 'gay community' (came out when he was 14/15) -- he'd be more of the opinion we all need to stick together. He's from Brazil, been here about three years at this stage, and has managed in that time to find more gay men to be friends with than I ever knew existed.

Mneh, I don't know. Just rambling on a bit. I definitely enjoy discussing issues that are relevant exclusively to the gays, with gays (posting to / reading this forum must account for about 90% of my Boards.ie usage at this stage)... but when it comes to choosing my friends, or where to go for a night out (again, unless I'm explicitly intending to go on the pull), I have a hard time understanding why my sexuality should play a part in it.

Maybe I'm just not a very good gay :( :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Ok, what other type of post would you like to see on here? And please feel free to start something of interest to you by the way!

Something I was thinking about was how about a LGBT Chat thread? A lot of forums on here have chat threads, and maybe that might work for this forum too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jimmynala

I won't even dignify the O.P. with a response. We don't need to justify ourselves. I for one am not a flamboyant gay who's sole purpose in life is to entertain with my overtly camp dancing. I agree, I wish these type of questions would be diverted somewhere else

• Advertisement

Jimmynala wrote: »
    I won't even dignify the O.P. with a response. We don't need to justify ourselves. I for one am not a flamboyant gay who's sole purpose in life is to entertain with my overtly camp dancing. I agree, I wish these type of questions would be diverted somewhere else

SO WHY DID YOU?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jimmynala

DubArk wrote: »
    SO WHY DID YOU?
    Felt like it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

As a gay teenager, I agree and disagree with you.
    Most (generalisation) gay youth tend to feel this bizarre need to let everyone know their sexually, and therefore act flamboyant (you all know it's true!) and have mainly gay or female friends. At least the gay youth that I know are like this.
    However, although most of my friends are in fact female, I really wish I had straight male friends, because the few that I do have are so much easier to relate to than the gay male friends that I have. I'm not really camp at all, I wear fashionable clothes and straighten my hair (it's short, and I only straighten it because I can't style my natural hair) but that's it. No flamboyancy. I feel that my sexuality is only a tiny part of who I am, and although I can't really talk to straight guys about boys, I do feel that I can relate to them more than I can to other gays/girls.
    That being said though, my best friend's a lesbian, so there's not much that I can relate to there!
    Anyways, I do get your point, a lot of gay people do tend to be friends with girls and other gays, and if not, their flamboyancy repels a lot of straight boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

As a gay teenager, I agree and disagree with you.
    Most (generalisation) gay youth tend to feel this bizarre need to let everyone know their sexually, and therefore act flamboyant (you all know it's true!) and have mainly gay or female friends. At least the gay youth that I know are like this.
    However, although most of my friends are in fact female, I really wish I had straight male friends, because the few that I do have are so much easier to relate to than the gay male friends that I have. I'm not really camp at all, I wear fashionable clothes and straighten my hair (it's short, and I only straighten it because I can't style my natural hair) but that's it. No flamboyancy. I feel that my sexuality is only a tiny part of who I am, and although I can't really talk to straight guys about boys, I do feel that I can relate to them more than I can to other gays/girls.
    That being said though, my best friend's a lesbian, so there's not much that I can relate to there!
    Anyways, I do get your point, a lot of gay people do tend to be friends with girls and other gays, and if not, their flamboyancy repels a lot of straight boys.

you're like my double :D
    i have mainly girls as friends and i love them don't get me wrong but i'm not flamboyant, i don't go around acting "girly", i find it very annoying actually which makes it hard to meet a boy i like, but oh well.

you're like my double :D
    i have mainly girls as friends and i love them don't get me wrong but i'm not flamboyant, i don't go around acting "girly", i find it very annoying actually which makes it hard to meet a boy i like, but oh well.
    Hahaha! :D I actually read a post in a thread in the Leaving Cert. forum which was something like "what will you do after your last exam?" and some random guy said "go out with the lads and get drunk!" or something, and I got sorta jealous... ¬¬ I want to be one of the lads. Not the lad who hangs around with the girls, or one of the gays. I'm not at all ashamed of my sexuality, and although I hate 'being the same as everyone else', I really just wish that I was 'one of the lads'. God. I sound so idiotic. Oh well :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

Hahaha! :D I actually read a post in a thread in the Leaving Cert. forum which was something like "what will you do after your last exam?" and some random guy said "go out with the lads and get drunk!" or something, and I got sorta jealous... ¬¬ I want to be one of the lads. Not the lad who hangs around with the girls, or one of the gays. I'm not at all ashamed of my sexuality, and although I hate 'being the same as everyone else', I really just wish that I was 'one of the lads'. God. I sound so idiotic. Oh well :rolleyes:

ah you don't, it's normal to want to fit in.
    i used to be 'one of the lads' but i got really bored with them, they were so immature probably why i prefered hanging around with the girls to match my level of maturity but now i wish i was one of the lads again, probably a case of the grass is always greener eh?

I know what you mean. 'The lads' always seem to be immature, but 'the girls' always tend to cause drama. It's a lose-lose situation unless you're childish or bitchy!

Advertisement