Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More car-audio setup questions...

• 29-05-2010 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Apologies for all the questions in the past while but I swear this is the last batch ;)

So, I want to replace the speakers in my VW Golf 04 Mk5 for a number of reasons (one blown in the front and none present in the back) and have a few questions:

Whats the standard speaker size for a VW Golf 04 Mk5 (theres two right? the standard lower door and tweeters, are the backdoor the same type as the front?) - I can't seem to find the spec anywhere, also do I really need to put speakers in the back of a hatchback? There are none at the moment as I think the previous owner removed them but does it add to the overall sound?

Whats the standard wattage of car-stereo speakers, by this I mean what should I get to suit a sony stereo with Max. Power Output (1KHz, 40Ω) 4x 52W ?

Thanks in advance for both your time and help folks

J :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

4 x 52watt? Sounds a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

afaik there 13cm speakers, thats 52 watts max (25 watts RMS) a channel , so most car speakers will do , get yourself a nice set of pioneers or blaupunkts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

JayC5 wrote: »
    ...also do I really need to put speakers in the back of a hatchback? There are none at the moment as I think the previous owner removed them but does it add to the overall sound?

Is the wiring there? Traditionally lower spec cars didn't have any rear speakers fitted (which also meant there was no wiring so you'd have to run cables from the stereo yourself), but I thought that would be unusual for something so modern. Are VW that cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Is the wiring there? Traditionally lower spec cars didn't have any rear speakers fitted (which also meant there was no wiring so you'd have to run cables from the stereo yourself), but I thought that would be unusual for something so modern. Are VW that cheap?

Not sure about the wiring, haven't checked yet. I assume there were speakers there previously as the perforations are there in the door where said speakers should be...

Is it that noticeable to have speakers in the front as opposed to a 4 speaker setup tho - that's what I really wanna find out ;)

Also, are there any decent Irish websites for buying speakers - it costs a fortune in shipping to get 'em from the UK!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I would go for 4 speakers if I were you.
    As for what to buy..?
    How much do you want to spend?
    It is not as expensive as you may think to get them in from the UK ;)

• Advertisement

Not sure about the wiring, haven't checked yet. I assume there were speakers there previously as the perforations are there in the door where said speakers should be...
    Many cars I've seen with only 2 speakers fitted have the facilities for placing rear speakers in the doors or behind the rear seats, but no wiring. My Fiesta has spaces for 6 speakers - standard front door, tweeters in front doors, and rear speakers (adjacent to the parcel shelf), only the two front speakers are fitted and wired.
    Is it that noticeable to have speakers in the front as opposed to a 4 speaker setup tho - that's what I really wanna find out ;)
    It's certainly noticeable for the rear passengers :) I dunno in general, cars are a pretty terrible place for acoustics anyway...

It's certainly noticeable for the rear passengers :) I dunno in general, cars are a pretty terrible place for acoustics anyway...

Apparently one model of Golf had particularly good acoustics.

Maybe relative to other cars, but they are far from optimal for any sort of decent listening experience - you've got a lot of glass, you're not sitting in the centre so the stereo "image" is completely skewed (unless you have a McLaren F1 :) ), and there's seats/people pretty much in the middle of the car blocking a lot of sound between the front and back of the car, and then there's road noise, etc.

Maybe relative to other cars, but they are far from optimal for any sort of decent listening experience - you've got a lot of glass, you're not sitting in the centre so the stereo "image" is completely skewed (unless you have a McLaren F1 :) ), and there's seats/people pretty much in the middle of the car blocking a lot of sound between the front and back of the car, and then there's road noise, etc.

Bloody hell..
    We are talking about a car here.
    of course it is relative to other cars.. You hardly thought I was comparing it to a home cinema or a concert hall :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

vectra wrote: »
    I would go for 4 speakers if I were you.
    As for what to buy..?
    How much do you want to spend?
    It is not as expensive as you may think to get them in from the UK ;)

Hey,

Well I'd like to keep the price around 100euros or less, much less if possible but I do want a decent enough sound I suppose. Where would you recommend from the UK then as a matter of interest?

J

• Advertisement

Hey,

Well I'd like to keep the price around 100euros or less, much less if possible but I do want a decent enough sound I suppose. Where would you recommend from the UK then as a matter of interest?

J

I bought some kit from this company in the UK for my Civic.
    Delivery is a flat rate of £20 + £40 for 2 pairs of speakers = £60 all in.
    You could got for these assuming you need 13cm
    Pioneer

Personally I would got for something a little more expensive and get some more cash together and stick an amp on later.
    But you probably wont need it .

Hope this helps

Advertisement