Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

READ: Regarding HL IRISH & ENGLISH

Options
  • 29-05-2010 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hey all, basically, im at the stage where i am about to cry over these exams.

First Irish: the essay ....i have never written a good one EVER! what does everyone else think is coming up? so little time left, would anyone be able ta send me a sample one on maybe problems with youths or s
    something, or maybe sport? then theres an trial :( i got 6 out of the total in the mocks?? what do ya study for that?

English? king lear?? possible q's? and then the comparative, i got 6 outa 70? like which ones should i learn??

PLEASE HELP ME

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭orlabobs

Hey all, basically, im at the stage where i am about to cry over these exams.

First Irish: the essay ....i have never written a good one EVER! what does everyone else think is coming up? so little time left, would anyone be able ta send me a sample one on maybe problems with youths or s
    something, or maybe sport? then theres an trial :( i got 6 out of the total in the mocks?? what do ya study for that?

English? king lear?? possible q's? and then the comparative, i got 6 outa 70? like which ones should i learn??

PLEASE HELP ME

Ok, don't panic, that simply is pointless. It just wastes time. Ok I don't do higher Irish so I can't help you there, but on english.
    There is nearly always a character question. I find it best to do a little plan of the storyline (love test, G+R houses, storm, Gloucesters eyes, cordelia and Lear reunite, cordelia's death) and figure out what roles each character play in each part and why they did it and what is our interpretation on it.

For example: "lear is a man more sinn'd against than sinning"
    You need to consider who the essay is about :lear.
    Consider how he sinned: bannising cordelia and kent, dividing up his kingdom, being fooled by r+g, had a huge ego.
    Consider how he was sinned against: humiliated by his own children,reduced to nothing by the removal of his knights, thrown out into the storm, lack of gratitude from his daughters and disrespect.

Its not too bad once you know the storyline. Once you know that and have quotes at your disposal you should be able to mould any question into an answer. Just don't get stressed over questions thrown in a strange light. Consider the forces of good and evil. Good are lear, cordelia, kent, edgar. Evil are Regan, Goneril, Cornwall and Edmund. Albany goes from good to bad.

As for Comparative. 6 out of 70 is quite shocking. I'm not quite sure where you're completely missing the point so I'll just go through everything.

1) Know your three texts well. For GV know if they are dark, light or a bit of both. For me, A dolls house is exceedingly dark. Il postino is bright and Pride and Prejudice is a mixture of the two.
    2) Know how to compare and contrast your three texts well. This is the key to the comparative as although it is essential to know the texts, unless you compare you will go nowhere.
    3) Have three topics of discussion. Although this is not necessary it helps you know what to write. For example "Gender Roles". Therefore you can compare how gender roles are similar and dissimilar in your texts. For example: A dolls house is exceedingly dark under the topic of Gender Roles. Nora is crushed by Torvald as a woman as she is totally dependent on him for financial security. In stark contrast, Il Postino shows a bright portrayal of gender roles. Unlike ADH, the women in IP are independent women and have financial security.
    4) Take time to write out a general essay for your comparative, using as many notes and comparisons as you can under three suitable headings. Hand this up to your teacher (if you can) and once it is corrected, take all the amendments made by your teacher, write it all out again with the corrections and learn it. Make a summary page so that when you go into the exam you kind of know what your going to write.
    5) oh and have a key moment for each text under each topic!

If you do all that you will be fine. I'm not saying what I just said is gold, but i'm not bad at english and this should be of some help. Just don't cry and panic and declare that you can't do it. Just do a bit and you'll be fine. :)

orlabobs wrote: »

Albany goes from good to bad.
    :)

Sorry goes from bad to good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 ilovethecraic

thank you sooo much for this. must of took you ages to write out. Much appreciated ;):D

hank you sooo much for this. must of took you ages to write out. Much appreciated wink.gifbiggrin.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

I dont believe that Albany as a character ever showed any inherently bad characteristics. He was guilty of being oblivious to what was taking place with Lear but soon severly reprimanded his wife for her part in it.

If you refer to his decision to fight alongside Edmund, then that was only for patriotic purposes, to defend his country from an incoming volatile force. Thus that would be a good characteristic. Furthermore, he states his intention not to harm Lear or Cordelia.

I think Albany is one of the most important characters in the play, because he, despite being surrounded by evil, is an inherently good person.

Also, at the beginning of the play, we hear that there is conflict between Albany and Cornwall. Now we can't make a definitive statement on the matter, but could one construe that Shakespeares eventual display of Cornwall as an extremely evil entity only provokes more feelings of respect towards Albany?

I just struggle to see where Albany was ever bad?

• Advertisement

But regardless, a character question is probable for the exam.

Here is a list of possible questions that one should have a good knowledge of:

- Do you agree with the assessment that Lear is "a man more sinned against than sinning"?

- Discuss the importance of Cordelia in the play King Lear.

- The play King Lear has scenes of great violence and cruelty, but also great love and tenderness

- The play King Lear shows us representations of the very best and worst in humanity.

- The theme of love is a redemptive force in King Lear, discuss.

- In the play King Lear, the character of Edmund sees people as meer obstacles to his ambitions.

- The theme of ingratitude of children is pivotal in the play King Lear, discuss.

- In King Lear, is it fair to state that good triumphs over evil

* Now many of these questions are basic good versus evil questions. Structurally, they can be dealt with in two ways. The first way is to deal with the good parts first, and then with the evil parts. The second way, is to compare and contrast characters in similar positions with different characteristics.

e.g Goneril and Regan vs Cordelia. Edmund vs Edgar. Kent vs Oswald. Albany vs Cornwall

==>>> If you know the key events as was mentioned above, the people in them, and a nice adjective or two to describe their emotions/motivations. I wont try and prescribe too much, but if your serious then you need to do this. It is not too late to bring your grade up

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭daysleeper

First Irish: the essay ....i have never written a good one EVER! what does everyone else think is coming up? so little time left, would anyone be able ta send me a sample one on maybe problems with youths or something, or maybe sport?

From another thread:
    ceol18 wrote: »
    best way i've found of learning these is learning it in themes, so you can bring in differnet parts depending on the essay title.
    for example, learning paragraphs on:
    • Daoine óga
    • Polaiteoirí
    • Oideachas
    • Culú na hEacnamíochta
    • Aeráid na cruinne
    • Mean cumarsáide...etc
    and then manipulating the essay title to bring in as many as you can =D
    for example in my mock the question i answered was "tríalacha agus tríobloidí an duine óg", so i was able to talk about daoine óga, oideachas, mean cumarsáide (it's influence on young people), agus cúlú na hEacnamíochta (bring in the lack of jobs etc etc). Throw in a couple of seanfhocáils and sentences relating to the question and BAM! =) you're sorted =D
    This really works, I got an A2 in the mocks ;)

Basically exactly what that poster said. You can learn paragraphs from different topics and then manipulate the question so as you can use what you know.

Here's a couple of little points on social problems you might find handy to get you started:
    • Níl amhras ar bith orm ná go bhfuil fadhb na ndrugaí, fadhb an fhoréigin agus fadhb na coirpeachta ag dul in olcas, ní hamháin in Éirinn ach ar fud on domhain. There's no doubt in my mind that the problems of drugs, violence and crime are out of control, not only in Ireland but all over the world.
    • Tá sé fíordheacair teacht ar réiteach ar bith ar na fadhbanna seo, atá i bhfad níos measa faoi láthair ná mar a bhíodh am ar bith roimhe seo. It's very difficult to come to a solution for these problems that are far worse nowadays than they have ever been before.
    • Níl gach duine ar aon intinn faoi bhunchúis na bhfadhbanna seo, cé go n-aithnítear go forleathan go bhfuil an dífhostaíocht agus on bhochtaineacht ina measc. Not everyone agrees upon the root-causes of these problems, however it is widely recognised that unemployment and poverty are among them.
    I got those from LC revision books...- in most libraries you can borrow them while you're studying there or whatever so maybe try to do that if you're stuck for vocab. Here's a small list of phrases and words that you can always throw in:

Pléadh an t-ábhar le déanaí - the subject was discussed recently
    Chualamar go leor cainte faoi - we heard loads about it
    eachtra(í) foreigneach(a) - violent episode(s) (event)
    faoi leith - particular
    ar nós - mar shampla (for example)
    ionsaí chiníochach - a racial attack
    faoi chaibidil - under discussion
    is fadhb mhór í - it's a big problem
    ní thiocfaidh réiteach - there will be no solution
    is deacar a rá - it's hard to say
    Sula dtéim níos faide ba cheart dom a rá - before i go any further i should say
    baol - danger
    bagairt - threat
    Tá gach seans go rachaidh cúrsaí ó smacht - there's every chance that things will go out of control
    Is é mo thuairim go bhfuil foréigean ró-choitianta sa lá atá inniú ann - it's my opinion that violence is too common nowadays

edit: and here is a nice lengthy list to add to that

hope this helps even a little bit...- good luck! :)

Now for Comparitive, it would help if I knew what texts you were doing, as if we only had even one in common, I could better relate my advice to you

I dont believe that Albany as a character ever showed any inherently bad characteristics. He was guilty of being oblivious to what was taking place with Lear but soon severly reprimanded his wife for her part in it.

If you refer to his decision to fight alongside Edmund, then that was only for patriotic purposes, to defend his country from an incoming volatile force. Thus that would be a good characteristic. Furthermore, he states his intention not to harm Lear or Cordelia.

I think Albany is one of the most important characters in the play, because he, despite being surrounded by evil, is an inherently good person.

Also, at the beginning of the play, we hear that there is conflict between Albany and Cornwall. Now we can't make a definitive statement on the matter, but could one construe that Shakespeares eventual display of Cornwall as an extremely evil entity only provokes more feelings of respect towards Albany?

I just struggle to see where Albany was ever bad?

Granted, I take your point, perhaps I should have phrased it as "on the side of evil" as he never was truly evil, just tagged along with the wifeen. But it would be wrong to say he was good at first as he did nothing to control goneril's evilness at first. He was her puppet. But he does change to the side of good by standing up to her. So although granted he was never really evil, he wasn't great, more he was bad on the weakness of his character. Does that make sense?

But he's hardly one of the most important character, he's only a small part. His change is unique and could get up to a couple of paragraphs in a relevant question but.........

and then the comparative, i got 6 outa 70? like which ones should i learn??

Can I ask, I'm not being rude, so please don't intemperate it that way but, what did you write for your comparative question? I mean, to only get 6 marks. Not being rude, mean or anything, just wondering.....what did you write?

(please don't get narky at me, im just plain curious.)

• Advertisement

Now for Comparitive, it would help if I knew what texts you were doing, as if we only had even one in common, I could better relate my advice to you

im doing the truman show, dancing at lughnasa & the story of lucy gault :P

Can I ask, I'm not being rude, so please don't intemperate it that way but, what did you write for your comparative question? I mean, to only get 6 marks. Not being rude, mean or anything, just wondering.....what did you write?

(please don't get narky at me, im just plain curious.)

haha, dont worry, i dont take any offence what so ever :P ... if i was you, id be woundering too :) ..i wudnt have a problem with ya reading it atal, only i havnt got a clue where i left the paper.. was looking for it there and its missing. but basically, i knew it was something about pesimism & optimism....if i find the paper iol right it down. but it was complete and utter rubbish! i failed paper 2 anyways. only got like 20 something % in it! i only just past because i done a good paper 1 :) ypu know for the poets, would ya be safe just to learn boland & kavanagh?? ;)

daysleeper wrote: »
    From another thread:

Basically exactly what that poster said. You can learn paragraphs from different topics and then manipulate the question so as you can use what you know.

Here's a couple of little points on social problems you might find handy to get you started:
    • Níl amhras ar bith orm ná go bhfuil fadhb na ndrugaí, fadhb an fhoréigin agus fadhb na coirpeachta ag dul in olcas, ní hamháin in Éirinn ach ar fud on domhain. There's no doubt in my mind that the problems of drugs, violence and crime are out of control, not only in Ireland but all over the world.
    • Tá sé fíordheacair teacht ar réiteach ar bith ar na fadhbanna seo, atá i bhfad níos measa faoi láthair ná mar a bhíodh am ar bith roimhe seo. It's very difficult to come to a solution for these problems that are far worse nowadays than they have ever been before.
    • Níl gach duine ar aon intinn faoi bhunchúis na bhfadhbanna seo, cé go n-aithnítear go forleathan go bhfuil an dífhostaíocht agus on bhochtaineacht ina measc. Not everyone agrees upon the root-causes of these problems, however it is widely recognised that unemployment and poverty are among them.
    I got those from LC revision books...- in most libraries you can borrow them while you're studying there or whatever so maybe try to do that if you're stuck for vocab. Here's a small list of phrases and words that you can always throw in:

Pléadh an t-ábhar le déanaí - the subject was discussed recently
    Chualamar go leor cainte faoi - we heard loads about it
    eachtra(í) foreigneach(a) - violent episode(s) (event)
    faoi leith - particular
    ar nós - mar shampla (for example)
    ionsaí chiníochach - a racial attack
    faoi chaibidil - under discussion
    is fadhb mhór í - it's a big problem
    ní thiocfaidh réiteach - there will be no solution
    is deacar a rá - it's hard to say
    Sula dtéim níos faide ba cheart dom a rá - before i go any further i should say
    baol - danger
    bagairt - threat
    Tá gach seans go rachaidh cúrsaí ó smacht - there's every chance that things will go out of control
    Is é mo thuairim go bhfuil foréigean ró-choitianta sa lá atá inniú ann - it's my opinion that violence is too common nowadays

edit: and here is a nice lengthy list to add to that

hope this helps even a little bit...- good luck! :)

tanx a million for taking the time to write that :) much appreciated. do you yourself think it will be problems among youths that will come up this year? :)

haha, dont worry, i dont take any offence what so ever :P ... if i was you, id be woundering too :) ..i wudnt have a problem with ya reading it atal, only i havnt got a clue where i left the paper.. was looking for it there and its missing. but basically, i knew it was something about pesimism & optimism....if i find the paper iol right it down. but it was complete and utter rubbish! i failed paper 2 anyways. only got like 20 something % in it! i only just past because i done a good paper 1 :) ypu know for the poets, would ya be safe just to learn boland & kavanagh?? ;)

Hmmm....... i see, well I'd say spend a good chunk of time on comparative then before the exam. Its 17.5%........
    I can't give you a sample essay because we do totally different comparatives. But eh, do you know if your comparatives are pes or opp? and why and how they differ?

as for poetry, if you want to just do two, id say do boland and rich. Boland and kavanagh on its own is a bit too risky, in my humble opinion...

im doing the truman show, dancing at lughnasa & the story of lucy gault :P

ya, none of mine are the same. Ok my class are doing dal so tech i could help with that, but i don't even know the other two. at all.

Hmmm....... i see, well I'd say spend a good chunk of time on comparative then before the exam. Its 17.5%........
    I can't give you a sample essay because we do totally different comparatives. But eh, do you know if your comparatives are pes or opp? and why and how they differ?

as for poetry, if you want to just do two, id say do boland and rich. Boland and kavanagh on its own is a bit too risky, in my humble opinion...

awhh tanx a mil for all your help anyways...:) jeeez i HATE ENGLISH :( ...ya'd never think i got an A in the j.c with the results i got with it in the mocks :P....weh weh*

awhh tanx a mil for all your help anyways...:) jeeez i HATE ENGLISH :( ...ya'd never think i got an A in the j.c with the results i got with it in the mocks :P....weh weh*

No probs, happy to help. Plus it helps jog ideas into your head. But english isn't too bad once you get used to it. But please, please, go and figure out comparative. You can send me a message asking questions if needs be, but it is one that can be excellent marks if you can just get it. :)

No probs, happy to help. Plus it helps jog ideas into your head. But english isn't too bad once you get used to it. But please, please, go and figure out comparative. You can send me a message asking questions if needs be, but it is one that can be excellent marks if you can just get it. :)

sweet, thanks for that ;) if im not talking to ya..BEST OF LUCK nyhu ;)

Advertisement