Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are wellies ok for guys

• 29-05-2010 4:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

A girlfriend of mine says I should get a pair of wellies for the outdoors, walking, etc
    I'm not so sure wellies on guys are cool. And I certainly wouldn't wear a farmery green or black pair.
    Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

If it's just outdoors stuff where mud is involved then they're fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Boots might be a better option. Personally, I find a men wearing wellies that aren't green or black to be odd. Of course, this coming from a farmers son...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

wellies are fine but please stick to the green or black ones. If you want to get a really cool pair the Hunter green ones are the best but they are pretty pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭Woow_Aqualung

I find nothing wrong with it but I myself wear a pair of Doc's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Micahelxcx

Well, thank you all for your responses. However, I cannot see myself wearing a green pair or indeed black pair, Hunters or not.
    And I definately won't be wearing a pair of docks, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Get a good pair of hiking boots then, you can waterproof them and use them for a lot more things than wellies. Although I don't think you need to worry so much about what you look like when you're out walking!

Micahelxcx wrote: »
    And I definately won't be wearing a pair of docks.

:eek: Why not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭convert

Guys wearing wellies is perfectly acceptable. But guys wearing anything other than green/black/dark navy wellies just doesn't do it for me at all!!

Hunter wellies actually look good on guys because they go the full way up the lower leg, stopping just under the knee, so they're probably the best to go for. Pricey, yes, but they are really comfortable to wear, your feet won't get sore in them, and they last for ages (plus they keep your feet warm when it's cold). There's nothing worse than guys wearing wellies that stop mid calf (kind of like the boots that builders/engineers wear on a building site - a big turn off!)

If you're really adamant not to wear wellies, Dubarry could provide an alternative, but be warned, they're bloody expensive and I think wellies would look much better on a guy than these, even though I saw quite a few men wearing them over the weekend.

Hunter are much cheaper than Dubarry and provide a much better choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Novelty wellies look bad on women, but they look ridiculous on men. Stick to plain green or other dark colours and you'll be fine. What colour wellies were you planning on getting if you don't want green or black ones?

You may not like Dr Martens but they do make a really good alternative to wellies, a lot of my guy friends wear them for festivals and other muddy occassions. I wore a pair for last years Oxegen and they worked out well, much better looking and more comfy than wellies and they stayed waterproof even when ankle deep in water. Only problem with them was it took a lot of scrubbing and powerhosing to get all the mud off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Micahelxcx wrote: »
    A girlfriend of mine says I should get a pair of wellies for the outdoors, walking, etc
    I'm not so sure wellies on guys are cool. And I certainly wouldn't wear a farmery green or black pair.
    Any thoughts?
    Surely black and farmer green are the only wellies a man can wear?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

White. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

They're perfectly fine as long as you're out in the great outdoors, walking etc. but please don't wear them when ya hit the town :)

These are what I have.
    4981258.jpg

Advertisement