Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MMA Medical Checks

• 29-05-2010 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 859 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

I was reading that Dub Laoghaire thread and it struck me that I didn't have the first clue what would have constituted a good medical check for a fighter. What sort of thing goes on at the bigger shows (EFR, Chaos, Tribal Warfare, etc.)?

I had figured each guy would need a complete medical every year (like a pilot for example). ECG, MRI, eye exams, that kind of thing. As for the night of the fight I guessed it would be usual stuff, eyes, heart, cognition. Some stuff for contagious diseases (e.g. impetigo). I know a lot of this stuff is demanded for pro fighters in the states but I wasn't sure about here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

Hey folks,

I was reading that Dub Laoghaire thread and it struck me that I didn't have the first clue what would have constituted a good medical check for a fighter. What sort of thing goes on at the bigger shows (EFR, Chaos, Tribal Warfare, etc.)?

I had figured each guy would need a complete medical every year (like a pilot for example). ECG, MRI, eye exams, that kind of thing. As for the night of the fight I guessed it would be usual stuff, eyes, heart, cognition. Some stuff for contagious diseases (e.g. impetigo). I know a lot of this stuff is demanded for pro fighters in the states but I wasn't sure about here?

It would be a good idea to get the pilot medical for each fighter, but realistically not many fighters would have the required eyesight or hearing so they would fail on that, but it still wouldn't make them unfit to fight if you get me.
    Certainly, ECG's, HIV and hepatitis tests should be carried out, essentially to rule out that the fighter has any diseases that could be passed on through blood/sweat transfer or any heart problems that would be worsened by the adrenaline rush or the work you do while fighting.
    On the night from what I've seen and experienced at various shows the doctor checks the fighters previous medical history, for diabetes, asthma, any heart problems etc. I was checked with a stethoscope for bi-lateral breathing(meaning both lungs are working together basically), breathing sounds, my blood pressure and pulse was taken also. Thats all I can remember though, its been a while since I had one done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭kravicecreama

cool thread.
    I lifted this from

http://globalfightleague.ning.com/forum/topics/new-hampshire-mma-licensing

"In order to fight as a PRO MMA fighter in NH, you must have a NH PRO MMA license. You can get your license during the weigh-ins for NH MMA fights. Fighters are weighed-in and are given pre-fight physicals the night before scheduled MMA events. During the weigh-ins, if you are an unlicensed PRO fighter, you can get a NH PRO MMA license. You have to provide the NHBWC a valid, government-issued photo ID and $15.00, and you will be issued a license which is good for one (1) year.

In order to fight in the MMA show as a pro or amateur fighter, you must provide copies of the required medical results to the NHBWC at the time of the weigh-ins. As of September 20, 2009, this is required for any amateur or pro MMA fighter. Even if a pro fighter already has a current NH pro MMA license, you must provide copies of the required medical exams to the NHBWC at the time of the weigh-ins.

The required medical exams are as follows:
    HIV, Hepatitis B, and Hepatitis C (no more than 6 months old at the time of the weigh-ins);

A physical exam (with a statement from the doctor that they have examined you and you are fit to fight) (no more than 1 year old at the time of weigh-ins);

An EKG (you must provide a copy of the EKG print out) (no more than 1 year old at the time of weigh-ins);

An eye exam which includes a dialated pupil exam and examination of the retinas (no more than 1 year old at the time of weigh-ins).

Just so everyone is clear, all pro and amateur fighters must provide these medicals EVERY TIME you fight in NH. And every pro fighter must have a valid, unexpired pro NH MMA license at the time you fight as a pro in NH "

what do the boards members think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Regarding the eyesight check, what if you do have bad eyesight? Are you not allowed to wear contacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Daniel2oo9

When i fight in the MMA League next year will i be medically checked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

When I was competing regularly I got blood tests done for every show I was on, then it was the usual concussion, blood pressure and so on checks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Daniel2oo9 wrote: »
    When i fight in the MMA League next year will i be medically checked?

No,there is a very large number of competitors in the MMA league so having a medical would cost too much time and money than is worth the risk. This is the case with any Grappling competition too.

There are medics there on the day of course though

Advertisement