Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orange Lines?

Options
  • 29-05-2010 4:30pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed an awful lot of re surfaced roads on the Waterford to Limerick road with a straight orange line painted on them. Could someone point out what purpose they serve?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Think they're temporary markings before they put the wearing course on, from having seen them in use through roadworks in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭coolperson05

I actually saw them on the N30 New Ross - Enniscorthy Rd last week. Orange lines saying "Experimental Road Surface" and a reduced speed limit....
    Felt extremely smooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,367 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Felt extremely smooth.
    Possibly because it had no wearing course and therefore no real grip.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thanks folks, interesting to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Those orange lines on the Waterford/Limerick road have been there a long time now.

I like them actually. I like the definite divide between each side of the road. The uniform white lines, although fine for us Irish/English who are used to that system of road marking, it must be very difficult for, say Americans, who come here driving on roads with several lanes and all the lanes are white. Sometimes, from an objective view point, it's a difficult system to understand, who's lane is whose (not talking about normal two lane roads of course, just the more complicated set ups).

A yellow line system like the US would be good here I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭wellbutty

Could've sworn I read somewhere that these are experimental higher-visibility markings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

the bad weather over the winter brought out potholes by the thousands all along the N24 therefore the road needed to be resurfaced. the orange line is to indicate TEMPORARY ROAD MARKINGS . i must say iv never seen any road get a resurface so quick and the surface is so smooth, far better than the original , :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 radagast

There are a few of these between Cahir and Clonmel at the moment too.
    I was wondering what they were about - as were the Gardai that I asked at a checkpoint just 100 meters away from one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Victor wrote: »
    Possibly because it had no wearing course and therefore no real grip.

I drove the N30 on Monday and was surprised to see central and verge cats eyes fully installed, so the surface is the wearing course.

I've seen orange lines on the:

N24
    N30
    N74

I hope they don't become the norm. Has anyone asked the NRA about this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Furet wrote: »
    I drove the N30 on Monday and was surprised to see central and verge cats eyes fully installed, so the surface is the wearing course.

I've seen orange lines on the:

N24
    N30
    N74

Iv just sent them an email, so we will see whats said. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Furet wrote: »

This has been like this for over a year now and is indeed the permanent surface. No idea what's experimental about it (other than the fact the signs say it is!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

New marching routes for the OO?

Sully wrote: »
    Iv just sent them an email, so we will see whats said. :)

Bit of a delay with response but nonetheles..
    I refer to your email of 19 August 2010 in relation to the above.

When improvement works are being carried out on roads, local authorities employ distinctive orange coloured road marking tape as temporary centre line and edge markings to emphasise an unfinished road. This would remain in place until the final surface course is laid.

Iv asked how long a temporary surface should be used for, as these lines have been in place a while now.

Advertisement