Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poetry-quotes from poems about themselves

Options
  • 29-05-2010 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any? I was told it's a nice way to finish an essay but I'm having no luck with google :mad::D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sheep-go-baa

'Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric, our of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry'
    Yeats

'I write poetry out of an inner compulsion. Deep down I believe it is very important, but I am rather shy about saying how important i think it is, not just for me but as an important way for humanity to redeem itself' Longley

'I have written a few inadequate elegies out of my bewilderment and despair. I offer them as wreaths, that is all.'
    Longley

'The love poem is the most important thing I do.'
    Longley

'Rhythm in what poetry is all about. If the rhythm fails the poem fails.'
    Longley

'...to try and think oneself into into their shoes. To try and imagine how one can be so angry, so brainwashed or in a sense perhaps even so innocennt that one can drive in a car go into a person's house and shoot that person stone dead'
    Longley on Wounds

'I believe that poetry is a normal human activity and its concern all the things that happen to people.'
    Longley

'This is poetry as plain as it gets.'
    Longley on Self Heal

'You have to bring your personal sorrow to the public utterance. Otherwise you are in deadly danger of regarding the agony of others as raw material for your art, and your art as solace for them in their suffering.'
    Longley

As you can tell I have been studying Longley lately :pac: Hope this helps :)

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Nice!
    Boland called Yeats "bitter, cantankerous" :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

'Out of the quarrel with others we make rhetoric, our of the quarrel with ourselves we make poetry'
    Yeats

'I write poetry out of an inner compulsion. Deep down I believe it is very important, but I am rather shy about saying how important i think it is, not just for me but as an important way for humanity to redeem itself' Longley

'I have written a few inadequate elegies out of my bewilderment and despair. I offer them as wreaths, that is all.'
    Longley

'The love poem is the most important thing I do.'
    Longley

'Rhythm in what poetry is all about. If the rhythm fails the poem fails.'
    Longley

'...to try and think oneself into into their shoes. To try and imagine how one can be so angry, so brainwashed or in a sense perhaps even so innocennt that one can drive in a car go into a person's house and shoot that person stone dead'
    Longley on Wounds

'I believe that poetry is a normal human activity and its concern all the things that happen to people.'
    Longley

'This is poetry as plain as it gets.'
    Longley on Self Heal

'You have to bring your personal sorrow to the public utterance. Otherwise you are in deadly danger of regarding the agony of others as raw material for your art, and your art as solace for them in their suffering.'
    Longley

As you can tell I have been studying Longley lately :pac: Hope this helps :)
    Holy shiit. Do you use one of the above quotes for each poem?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

For Boland, I use 'lives living in a state of process'.
    Doesn't make a whole lot of sense but in an essay somewhere it said something along the lines of ' her poems are both thought provoking and individual, particularly appealing not only to women living in Ireland but to people throughout the world who are concerned with what she herself calls 'lives living in a state of process', etc.

theowen wrote: »
    Holy shiit. Do you use one of the above quotes for each poem?

God no! Only if it comes to mind when I am writing the question, the hardest thing is remebering I learnt the quote in the first place.

Here's a few more:

'I believe that a poem isn't complete until there's a reader at the end of it. It can't just be produced; it has to be received'
    Adrienne Rich

'...create an interior space against the storm, an enclave of protection'
    Rich on Storm Warnings

'...speak quietly but do not mumble, respect their elders but are not cowed by them, do not tell fibs'
    W.H. Auden on Rich's poetry

'One of the greatest poems of our time'
    Ruth Whitman on Diving Into The Wreck

'the sounds of death from the television were heard almost daily'
    Boland on the Troubles (good for War Horse)

'...one of many other statments of outrage'
    Boland on Child of Our Time

Poetry Notes, the book, is fillled with loads of them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

God no! Only if it comes to mind when I am writing the question, the hardest thing is remebering I learnt the quote in the first place.

Here's a few more:

'I believe that a poem isn't complete until there's a reader at the end of it. It can't just be produced; it has to be received'
    Adrienne Rich

'...create an interior space against the storm, an enclave of protection'
    Rich on Storm Warnings

'...speak quietly but do not mumble, respect their elders but are not cowed by them, do not tell fibs'
    W.H. Auden on Rich's poetry

'One of the greatest poems of our time'
    Ruth Whitman on Diving Into The Wreck

'the sounds of death from the television were heard almost daily'
    Boland on the Troubles (good for War Horse)

'...one of many other statments of outrage'
    Boland on Child of Our Time

Poetry Notes, the book, is fillled with loads of them :)
    I've never said this to a guy before but, I love you:D (maybe your not a guy:rolleyes:)

theowen wrote: »
    I've never said this to a guy before but, I love you:D (maybe your not a guy:rolleyes:)

I'm a girl, last time i checked :p that's also quite an easy quote to learn and can be used anywhere, yay! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

W.B Yeats' epitaph reads "Cast a cold eye on life, on death"

irish_man wrote: »
    W.B Yeats' epitaph reads "Cast a cold eye on life, on death"

The full thing is:

'Cast a cold eye
    On life, on death.
    Horseman, pass by'

A bit random really:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

The full thing is: