Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mortgage Rate about to expire - what are my options??

Options
  • 29-05-2010 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Ok so, my 5 year fixed rate is about to expire (well in July), so what are my options, can I move provider, if so, what kind of costs are involved????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭pjmn

Firstly - your current mortgage provider should write to you before your fixed rate expires outlining what options you have (are you on an option to revert to a Tracker Rate? - if you aren't sure check your mortgage offer or your fixed rate letter of offer)... don't give up a Tracker Option easily if you have one...

Whether another provider is willing to take over your mortgage will largely depend on two issues...

a) what your ltv is - i.e. your loan expressed as a percentage of your current property value - the higher it is the less likely another provider will take your mortgage over - if it's over 100% (i.e. your loan is greater than the current value of your property), then I'd say your chances of moving are virtually nil..

b) assuming your ltv is say below 90%, the second key issue is an assessment of your ability to repay your mortgage - security of your earnings will be a key consideration for a potential new provider...

c) assuming you come through the first two hurdles, there will be a legal cost in moving - I'm not sure what the actual cost would be - I'd suggest a quick call to a reputable solicitor should give you a quick guide...

best of luck...

pjmn

Advertisement