Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New handheld, much more than a gaming device

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

That looks quite cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I dunno, for the same price you could nearly buy a DS and a cheap netbook.....

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

$330 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Looks like it came straight from the early 90s. I laughed out loud when he opened the lid.

Also what a random assortment of ports.

If anything it'll stand as a testament to the fact that design by community doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,371 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I was thinking of getting these a while back but they took forever to manufacture the product so i gave up

looks the business thou

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

It does look pretty cool but me, I don't like playing with emulaters. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

OctavarIan wrote: »
    Looks like it came straight from the early 90s. I laughed out loud when he opened the lid.

Also what a random assortment of ports.

If anything it'll stand as a testament to the fact that design by community doesn't work.

At least its got ports and not tied down to any manufacturer or format. How many ports has a ds/psp/ipad?
    The possibilities with this are endless as it runs linux

Showed it to my missis, now she's not got a DS, but plays the kids now and again, she's not got a netbook as there's several pc's and laptops in the house, but this she would buy, so there is a market

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

ohhhh nintendo are gonna be pissed lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

Ugly as hell but I suppose if it serves its function.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I see he cut off the video just as he was crashing.

At least they're not stingy on the side of connectivity, so it's definitely of more value than an ipad. I have a netbook already which gets used for travelling. Maybe this could be for the shorter journeys, but I'd nearly need a free wireless internet infrastructure around me to tempt me.

I'll be interested to see what the 600Mhz ARM Cortex processor is capable of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 jazzymun

I have ordered one of these devices
    Last July I am in the first 4000 orders
    This will blow all handhelds away
    Unlimited gaming through emulation
    Runs Firefox bluetooth
    N64 and dreamcast at full speed runs Doom 3 at full speed
    Unlimited possibilities

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

HDMI?

So you can play 8bit games on a 40 inch Plasma?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jazzymun

Probably would but definition would be blocky

Its got a usb port, You could plug in some storage and play videos on the tv, even phones are getting HDMI these days, it'd look a little odd with a scart, composite or component :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭nitromaster

I don't see this killing off the ds...that has nintendo games. (and support from all publishers)
    nothing for them to be scared of.

Looks coolish though.

The funny thing is...if a device by an unknown company did manage to miraculously take off..and looked like it poised a real threat, nintendo could just buy them out for spare change and kill the company.
    But that'll never need to happen to be honest.

I don't see this killing off the ds...that has nintendo games. (and support from all publishers)

I'd say they're very worried by it, piracy is absolutely huge on the DS and this has the advantage of being able to emulate the other handhelds (PSP) and older consoles too. It can browse the internet and be a netbook or e-reader, can be whatever You want it to be as it runs open source.
    The funny thing is...if a device by an unknown company did manage to miraculously take off..and looked like it poised a real threat, nintendo could just buy them out for spare change and kill the company.
    But that'll never need to happen to be honest.

That won't happen, Its an open source device aimed to take advantage of free and open source software. They're just a group of guys from all over the world who got together to build a completely open device, it would be against everything they believe in...........read: http://www.opensource.org/

That looks cool but, once he opened the case, I got a headache as soon as I saw the configuration and placement of the buttons.

Looks dreadful, like someone took the professionally-designed form factor of the DS and then tried to shoehorn as many buttons and ports as possible.

Interesting to see but I don't think it'd interest the same people who are interested in the DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Ambitious. But this wont take off for legal and practical reasons. I like the little joysticks and all, but if the main attraction is stuff I can already do on a laptop or a netbook, I dont see the attraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Don't think it's for me. After being promised the world and buying both the GP32 and the GP2X only to find out they never lived up to the hype, I fear the Pandora may be the same. The best hand held for homebrew and emulation stuff is by far a jailbroken PSP.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Nah, why buy that when I can play all those roms on my perfectly fine 17'' laptop?

It's got the same ports too! :pac:

Though it is an ambitious little piece of kit I think it'll just be safe with a niche market. It does look like something from the 90s and the button configurations are crazy (nice touch with the dual analog pads, though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I'm sure no one had in mind this killing off the DS. 4,000 were made (and that is after a 2-year delay). Unless something startling happens, I would imagine that this will remain an esoteric oddity - one wont challenge the DS.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's too bloody expensive.

I want a sub-€100 GameBoy, not some do-everything bloaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It's too bloody expensive.

I want a sub-€100 GameBoy, not some do-everything bloaty.

Maybe have a look into the Dingoo A-320 then, it's a really nice little machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Bulktohulk

Think I'd prefer the iPad tbh.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Bulktohulk wrote: »
    Think I'd prefer the iPad tbh.

Door >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 blottedchimp

Dual analogues! Take note Sony...
    That's what killed me about the PSP Go! It was a chance to correct the machine and give it a pair of analogues, but noooooo.
    Anyway cool little machine, haven't really seen them playing anything more difficult than Mario at this point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

Dual analogues! Take note Sony...
    That's what killed me about the PSP Go! It was a chance to correct the machine and give it a pair of analogues, but noooooo.
    Anyway cool little machine, haven't really seen them playing anything more difficult than Mario at this point though.

The PSP Go is more of an upgrade than a brand new handheld. If it had two analogues, games would have to be built specifically for it and would be unplayable on the original PSP. So two sets of the one game would need to be built for essentially the same console as I don't think Dual Analogue games can be easily changed...

Basically the PSP Go is a pretty looking disaster, and will probably be obsolete in the future due to the medium of software it uses. Retro gamers don't collect software... We want boxes and manuals damn it!

R_H_C_P wrote: »
    Door >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :p

Sorry I like my technology to actually be modern. That thing looks like a pile of ****e if I'm being brutally honest. Sure the iPad ain't the best gaming device, but as a whole, it's feckin sweet.

Bulktohulk wrote: »
    Sorry I like my technology to actually be modern. That thing looks like a pile of ****e if I'm being brutally honest. Sure the iPad ain't the best gaming device, but as a whole, it's feckin sweet.

Now that would be stupid. Whats modern about an iPad? Its a completely gimped product from the start. Where's the headphone jack, card reader, usb slot, HDMI. It doesn't do flash so no flash games and no Youtube. It doesn't emulate anything so its useless for any gaming other than with whats on the app store. And worst of all the battery is glued into the case and cannot ever be replaced, remember the first ipods, batteries went in them within a few mths.

At least the Pandora tried to add as much it can from the start. At least its open source and allows You do whatever You want with it, install a distro etc.

The real reason Apple don't allow flash is that it would affect sales of $15 mini-games on the app store, the ones like those that are free all over the internet in flash. 75% of all the video on the net is flash. The real reason they gimp their product is that the sheep, like You, will buy it, You know they're already working on the new model iPad with one or two of the missing features

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Now that would be stupid. Whats modern about an iPad? Its a completely gimped product from the start. Where's the headphone jack, card reader, usb slot, HDMI. It doesn't do flash so no flash games and no Youtube. It doesn't emulate anything so its useless for any gaming other than with whats on the app store. And worst of all the battery is glued into the case and cannot ever be replaced, remember the first ipods, batteries went in them within a few mths.

At least the Pandora tried to add as much it can from the start. At least its open source and allows You do whatever You want with it, install a distro etc.

The real reason Apple don't allow flash is that it would affect sales of $15 mini-games on the app store, the ones like those that are free all over the internet in flash. 75% of all the video on the net is flash. The real reason they gimp their product is that the sheep, like You, will buy it, You know they're already working on the new model iPad with one or two of the missing features

I'm not some blind apple fanboy,and I know the iPad is lacking in a lot of areas. If I had to choose between my sleek tablet though, that's replaced my laptop for a lot of the daily stuff or that brick, I know which I'd go with. When there's a tablet I consider better on the market, I'll mostly likely replace the iPad. Until then, it's doing me fine, and it's a fine piece of design. A limited fine piece of design albeit, but it's certainly fun to use.

Thanks for calling me a sheep by the way, real mature. I bought the iPad because I can afford it and because I wanted a tablet that doesn't run a full pc operating system, which is not the way tablets should go. It's the first apple product I've bought in years(the only other apple product I own is a 5 year old iMac). My current phone is a HTC and my next will be a Dell. So please don't jump to conclusions.

Advertisement