Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help choose a mountain bike

• 29-05-2010 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Hello all.

I am fairly new to mountain biking and was on the Balyhoura trails last night. The bike I was using had full suspension and v style cable brakes. While the bike was amazing on downhill parts I really struggled on the climbs as the bike was just too heavy.
    I would like to get a bike that would be suitable for these types of track but will buy a cheap one to try out for a while. I was thinking of these few from Halfords as disc brakes are a must:
    Trax TFS.1D Mens Mountain Bike 150 euro
    The Apollo Phaze Hard Tail Mountain Bike €249.99
    The Apollo Kanyon Full Suspension Bike €279.99
    Has anybody bought these bikes or used them in Ballyhoura. I would be grateful for any advice you can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

From that price range that you've listed 150-280, you are basically buying cheapo heavy stuff, and without knowing what you've got already, I'd take a guess there'll be no noticeable improvement.
    What gearing ratios are you working off at the moment, as you may just need a larger cassette at the rear to help you up the hilly bits.
    If your budget is as low as you suggest, I'd recommend not buying a new bike, but either extend your gearing range or maybe look at SH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The Apollo bikes are dire, they will fall apart and cost you more in maintenance than the bike itself. Buying a cheap one is pointless. You'd be better off taking the ~300 euro you'd spend on a cheap one and rent from the XTC crowd a couple of times. At least then you'd be able to determine if you want to keep at it.

An entry level mtb will cost at least 500 new and you can get a good reliable bike for 500 secondhand. Don't spend less than that, if you do get into it, you'll just have to spend more again.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Thanks for replying guys. I hadn't actually thought of buying second hand. What i dont want to do is go and pay 7-8 hundred for a bike and then not be happy with it.
    I had intended on renting a bike but the guy was gone last night when we went there.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭kakee

Advertisement