Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming addiction... AHAHAHAHA

Options
  • 29-05-2010 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Here's something for a laugh peeps :)

BEWARE: You may lose IQ points, become enraged, beat up little kids, burn kittens and hijack cars by the naivety, noobevity and general stupidity of this article (though that could be as a result of your addiction as well :P). You have been warned.

http://www.lep.co.uk/lifestyle/gaming_addiction_grips_youngsters_1_773488

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

why the outrage?
    I knew several people who got severely addicted to world of warcraft, and one or two who weren't quite as bad but still quite dependant on online poker.

it happens, not every story that doesn't put gaming in the absolute best light possible is a cause for 'omgs, they just don't understand us'

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

And one expert today warned two hours of playing games produces the same high as taking a line of cocaine.
    Ha! I love these experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

One that doesn't put gaming in the best light is fine, so long as it presents itself well and has decent support and explanations. This on the other hand, is typical tabloid tripe that tries to blame/claim that video gaming is on the same level of addiction as crack.

Since when does

kirby.jpg

=

image-of-cocaine.jpg

This article is just about useless and as such, I sought to put it to use... For the Lulz.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

Well 2 Koreans were sentenced recently because they let their baby starve to death because they were addicted to raising an online child. The guy got 2 years, the women got a suspended sentence because she's preggers.

I'm sure there is some gaming addiction but I'm guessing that article is sensationalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,462 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I had to scroll back up to the top of the page to check if this wonderful article was from the mind of a Daily Mail "journalist"... Maybe one of them is doing a nixer.

If they really wanted to drive this home, they should have equated 2 hours of gaming to something more current that the readers of that garbage can relate to, like the "killer drug" mephedrone...

****ing idiots!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

tman wrote: »
    ****ing idiots!:mad:
    Truer words were never spoken...

I was seriously addicted to gaming around 5 years ago...didnt lead me to any sort of lifestyle that moron is writing about in that article!

Idiots, wrapped in morons and basted in stupidity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

According to the article one child threatened to jump out the window after his parents took away their childs console!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Skipping meals to play computer games? :eek:

Dear God!!! They should all be banned straightaway before all our young people turn into axe murderers and then die of anorexia!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

see the way to avoid losing touch with friends is playing online with them..those people mentioned are just n00bs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,609 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Pacman, it's not all about running around in the dark, eating pills you know....
    Oh wait....

I'm sure back in the 1920's you had similar articles about the dangers of letting children listen to too much radio, "probably as harmful as a mug of gin, why not give them something healthier, like a cigarette!" I would guess it would say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 tuffbum

Kiith wrote: »
    Ha! I love these experts.

its true,
    i went out one night and stayed up all night,
    by 2 oclock the next i could hardly keep my eyes open and was falling asleep( which i dident want to do on a sunday afternoon only to wake up in the middle of the night)
    so i logged onto sa-mp(san andreas multiplayer) and sure enough after 20 mins i felt i had just woke up, i played until past 10 at night and when i put my head down i still couldent sleep for at least 40 mins, its true gaming alters your brain chemestry the same way certain drugs do
    so yes it is addictive and if it effects your life then it is a problem you should adress, i have nothing against games i love them
    i dont play everyday anymore.

also unless you have played online you really shouldent post on this topic, if you are someone who playes 4-6 hours every night and you dont agree with what these so called experts are saying then maybe your just in denial, try going 2 weeks with out it honestly if you cant you have a problem! like it or not. plus how ya gona meet a girl to **** in an online game!
    come on like get a life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

tuffbum wrote: »
    plus how ya gona meet a girl to **** in an online game!

simple, do what me and my buddies used to do , play go out on the town, around 4 back on mw2 pwning fools:cool:

ya but alot of 14 and under kids are getting addicted and dont have the same opportunities because they spend too much time gaming, i was lucky i was 19 before i had internet gaming, i was addicted to sa-mp for nearly 2 years i stopped after my 21st because my friends stopped inviting me out, simply because i was always on that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Tommy_NDX

rizzla wrote: »
    Well 2 Koreans were sentenced recently because they let their baby starve to death because they were addicted to raising an online child. The guy got 2 years, the women got a suspended sentence because she's preggers.

I'm sure there is some gaming addiction but I'm guessing that article is sensationalist.

There is a big difference between people addicted to games and just plain stupid people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I think
    evercrack.jpg
    has been responsible for at least one kid being starved before, not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Cocaine must be crap.

(Or I must be playing the wrong games.)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hang on, this may be coming off the back of a scientifically questionable article, but are people really going to dismiss the possibility that gaming is addictive?

For goodness sake, games like WoW or the MMORPG scene in general are built around the concept of addiction. It's within Blizzard's interests that their customers get hooked. Hell, every single arcade game that ever came out did so trying to engender addiction - "just one more go". Modern developments such as DLC are designed to tempt and keep their consumer base paying for minor rewards.

If sex addiction is now being seriously classified as an affliction (which I personally think is bullplop, but anyway) and you have clinics opening abroad to cope with gaming addiction, you then must seriously ask if excessive gaming is in fact addiction. To which I say "yes".

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hang on, this may be coming off the back of a scientifically questionable article, but are people really going to dismiss the possibility that gaming is addictive?

For goodness sake, games like WoW or the MMORPG scene in general are built around the concept of addiction. It's within Blizzard's interests that their customers get hooked. Hell, every single arcade game that ever came out did so trying to engender addiction - "just one more go". Modern developments such as DLC are designed to tempt and keep their consumer base paying for minor rewards.

If sex addiction is now being seriously classified as an affliction (which I personally think is bullplop, but anyway) and you have clinics opening abroad to cope with gaming addiction, you then must seriously ask if excessive gaming is in fact addiction. To which I say "yes".
    To which I say "at what point did any of us dismiss the existence of gaming addiction?"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Slugs wrote: »
    To which I say "at what point did any of us dismiss the existence of gaming addiction?"
    I didn't get the impression that some people necessarily believed the idea of gaming addiction. It's also worth pointing out that a lot of gaming blogs / editorials were running this article, with the feedback generally deriding the idea more so.

It's not the idea of gaming addiction that we're deriding, but the degree to which this article has spurred the opinion that gaming is on the same level of addiction as crack. This is of course comes from the same lack of education that created such other misinformed ideas such as roid rage.

At the end of the day, some people lack self control, and as a result become addicted. This can happen to ANYONE on ANYTHING. Food, Drinks, Cigarettes, illegal substances, Clothes, Money and even shoelaces can be a source of addiction for some people. Can one be worse than the other? No! Can one person be worse than another? Yes!

It's not the object, it's the person.

Slugs wrote: »
    It's not the idea of gaming addiction that we're deriding, but the degree to which this article has spurred the opinion that gaming is on the same level of addiction as crack. This is of course comes from the same lack of education that created such other misinformed ideas such as roid rage.

Hmm, playing devil's advocate for a second, the article doesn't say gaming is as addictive as cocaine, but that its affect is the equivalent of a line of coke. Ok, it's mixed in with an overall trollop that gaming's addictive and destroying the youth etc etc, but on that specific point of what playing games does to your system, I'd actually be on the fence, leaning towards agreement.

I'm not an addict but I would happily admit that yes, after playing games, I feel different. Sometimes it's just feeling over-energised and "psyched", sometimes I feel more confrontational or aggressive than usual.

Right, first off the idea of that level of addiction is implied in the article. Otherwise it wouldn't have been used. Word play my friend, it's a bitch. We can argue all day whether it's there or not, but regardless, it is implied.

Secondly, think for a second, why are you feeling different? Is the console doing something unique to you? No, you feel different after going for a run, watching television, reading the newspaper, listening to music. Your body has adapted to the emotional state you're in, and has released chemicals to adjust to the body change. I repeat, this is no different to anything that you can't not get from another medium. This is just being highlighted by this article.

No one is denying this. No one is saying it doesn't happen, so stop assuming we are. You haven't said it, but you're implying it just like this article is. You see how easy it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭DevilsBreath

The real question here is how did you get time to go looking at this article when you were meant to be gaming pff kids these days.

TBH I know I’m addicted to games, I think it stems from a general dislike for social interaction more than anything else though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

pixelburp wrote: »
    I didn't get the impression that some people necessarily believed the idea of gaming addiction. It's also worth pointing out that a lot of gaming blogs / editorials were running this article, with the feedback generally deriding the idea more so.

I know full well that gaming addiction exists, I'm the mod of a WoW forum ffs!:p
    That doesn't stop that "article" from being so utterly retarded that it genuinely fills me with rage

Advertisement