Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Rental

Options
  • 29-05-2010 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭

Basically i found an apartment listed on craigslist for Toronto. The person renting the apartment lives in London. This is the most recent e-mail i received;
    "The deposit will not be necessary. We will use the services of Money Bookers, who will be in charged of payment and the delivery of the keys.

Here's my suggestion:

* To start this transaction i will need to know your full shipping information, full name, full shipping address to proceed with this deal .
    * A soon as I got your e-mail I will go to Money Bookers to theposit the apartment keys on your name and address. Then they will send you a e-mail with a payment invoice for 1 month rent.
    * Your money will be kept by Money Bookers in their safe account.
    * A soon as Money Bookers will receive the money from you, they will send me a e-mail for confirmation.
    * I will proceed with delivery of apartment keys.
    * You will receive the keys of apartment, visit it and e-mail me if everything is okay
    * After I get from you the acknowledgment that my apartment will fit to you, I will contact a local notary for the rent contract.
    * I will send you, by mail, the original contract for signing.
    * You will sign the contract and keep one contract for you and one contract you will have to mail me back to London.
    * After everything is complete you will have to e-mail Money Bookers to confirm that all is okay so they can transfer the money to my bank account.

I hope you will agree with my suggestion."

Does this seem dodgy to anyone else? I would like some feedback please! The appartment is in a good location, has parking and utilities include and is cheap + looks great. It just seems to good to be true so it probably is.

Thanks for any info

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Scam. There's loads of them like that going around. Keep well away.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Scam. There's loads of them like that going around. Keep well away.

Thought as much. Any reason why your so sure? Other than the completely dodgy dealing haha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

jive wrote: »
    Thought as much. Any reason why your so sure? Other than the completely dodgy dealing haha

If you go over to the motors thread,you'll see pretty much the same email as you got,except about a car obviously!
    Anything like that,where they are abroad and want money transfered is usually a scam.
    Even the email is full of broken English.

As you said yourself,if it seems too good to be true,it usually is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

alwaysadub wrote: »
    If you go over to the motors thread,you'll see pretty much the same email as you got,except about a car obviously!
    Anything like that,where they are abroad and want money transfered is usually a scam.
    Even the email is full of broken English.

As you said yourself,if it seems too good to be true,it usually is :D

Yeah the email is what signalled the alarm bells. All the previous e-mails i received were well written but as you can see this one was just terrible haha.

thanks for the advice, i'll avoid this like the plague

Advertisement