Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blood tests/Diabeties

Options
  • 29-05-2010 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I just went for a full medical check up, i got my bloods and urine taken. The results came back saying i had slightly high cholesterol. My question is would diabeties have been found from these tests and a check up from my gp.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Depends what test were done, I doubt the bloods would have been checked for the glucose levels unless there was considered a reason to do so.

Do you think you are diabetic?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

I told her that my symptoms were fatigue and i was waking up in the night very thirsty i didn't want to mention diabeties to her because i thought the symptoms i was mentioning would make her suspect diabeties.i know its strange logic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Make an appointment and describe your symptoms again, this time mention your own suspicions. They can't test for everything routinely (or mind-read!).

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neelyohara

Call your GP as ask if a glucose serum was taken.

Were you told to fast before the tests? If yes then it's a good indication that they were checked.

... but like I said, a quick call to your GP will tell you. If you're still feeling off then you should definitely go back for a check up anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Nari85 wrote: »
    I told her that my symptoms were fatigue and i was waking up in the night very thirsty i didn't want to mention diabeties to her because i thought the symptoms i was mentioning would make her suspect diabeties.i know its strange logic

I understand the logic, but diabetes doesn't wait to be diagnosed before it becomes a problem. If you have it, you it. Make another appointment, seriously. If you DO have it, it's a problem until it becomes diagnosed- your blood sugars will be constantly rising and you may do irreparable damage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I agree that you need to go back to your GP, expalin your symptoms and ask for a test. I was diagnosed when I was 10 but there was a delay as my parents asked my consultant for thyroid condition I have to test for it and he only tested my thyroid! My daddy ended up bringing me in almost in a coma and they finally diagnosed it. One of my friends was exhibiting all the symptoms but was too scared to get the test - she ended up with cataracts and is scared that she may have done other lasting damage. You are better knowing either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

neelyohara wrote: »
    Call your GP as ask if a glucose serum was taken.

Were you told to fast before the tests? If yes then it's a good indication that they were checked.

... but like I said, a quick call to your GP will tell you. If you're still feeling off then you should definitely go back for a check up anyway.

I concur with this also as generally speaking if they do a fasting blood test, they'll do your glucose levels also. You can ring practice and ask them to check for you also. Then you'll know for sure. If not, go back and get a fasting blood test that includes your serum glucose.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Nari85

Thanks for the replies. I went back in and she said everything was okay. I had fasted before i went in just to be sure. Slightly high cholesterol was the only worry.

Advertisement