Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I dreamed a dream in time gone by.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I don't have anything huge in specific that I am aiming for - dropping out of med obviously took the old neurosurgeon plan out of the equation!

Obviously, I want to be happy. But I have accepted that nobody's ever going to be happy all the time, so I want to be able to look back on my life with as few regrets as I can manage about the choices I've made and where I've ended up as a result.

Career-wise? I honestly have no idea - I could be in research (either maths or physics), I could do a taught Masters in med. physics and combine the best of two worlds I've experienced, I could work in finance.. I could end up doing none of those and still be entirely happy with where I am. I could be a politician, hopefully actually doing something right for this country. I could be Taoiseach. Hell, I could probably take over the world if I wanted to do it enough.

Thing is, I'm ambitious enough to get just about anything I set my mind to - my problem is in setting my mind to the task at hand to begin with. But I'll cop on some day, and I think that's the time for the world to start being afraid. :D

Oh, a few things I know I have to do at some point. Get published again, and this time something I'm genuinely happy with. Complete the book I've worked on, on-and-off since I was 16. I want to do a marathon, a triathlon (maybe an Ironman one!), cycle the famous mountains of the Tour de France, the Giro d'Italia, the Vuelta a Espana.

I want to (and will!) build my own house. I want to live somewhere that isn't a generic clone of its next-door neighbour in some estate. I want it to be home, not some house I happen to live with.

I hope to keep myself surrounded with the kind of friends I've made within the past year or so. I want to spend as much time as possible with the people I love, and hope to not waste (much) time on silly fights with said people. Like I said before, I don't want regrets - especially not where these people are concerned. <3 my people!

I want to be able to leave my mark on the world, even in some small way. I want to make tiny changes and see what sort of chain reaction follows.

I don't ever want to have to settle for second best.

I'll be honest here - I want everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

I want to visit North Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I want to finish writing my book.
    And I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I don't know what I want. I mean, I'm 19. I don't even know what I want to do for the summer, never mind what I want for the next 70 years (yes, I will like until I'm at least 89). Of course I want to be happy, who doesn't? But I don't really care what the catalyst of my eventual happiness is. To be honest, I wouldn't care if that meant I was married with 7 kids, or twice divorced with a load of friends.

Though on the job side, me and my friend were talking about this a few weeks ago. I'd much rather not have a job where massive amounts of creativity or initiative are required. I'd rather have regular hours, and go into work and just be told what needs to be done, instead of guessing what has to be done.

Then again, like I said, I'm 19. I just finished first year of college. My mind will change. Many times over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lou91

I want to be content but not complacent.
    I think happiness comes when you're really engaging in something, whether it be work, watching tv, or relaxing with friends. It doesn't really matter what it is, just as long as you're there in the moment it's all good. Keeping that in mind, I don't want to have some job I'll start in my 20s and do the same thing for 40 years. I could see myself having several "mini-careers" instead. I'd like to keep building on skills and progressing, but not necessarily in the same field.
    More importantly, I'd like to be able to stop myself from always focussing on the end point and just chill and appreciate the journey a bit more.

On the relationship aspect... It's important, but not worth losing yourself for. I think the second worst thing in life would be growing old and dying alone. The worst? Settling for someone you don't really want. Doesn't do anyone any favours.

Basically I want to be a bigger and better version of what am I now.

(And stay hot for as long as possible, naturally)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Craguls

I've some lofty ambitions but nothing really definite; being disappointed at the end of my life is something that I'm afraid of.

Like, I want to be a neuroscientist for a variety of reasons. I want to get a phd and go into research and do something that interests me and I want to travel some more, after that it gets vaguer.

I'd like to visit some places again. I didn't see the parts of Paris I wanted or New York so I need to do them properly. I'd like to visit Tokyo at one point too.

The romantic part of me would like to admit I want to be in a relationship but the realist doesn't believe in marriage. I also don't intend on having kids.

I want to live some place that's nice and quiet but that's still in a city, that I can decorate in a creative way. I want to be surrounded by people who are open minded. I want to be self sufficient and not struggle to make ends meet.

As regards myself I want to develop personally a bit more and I want to be in good health. Maybe be multilingual too.

I'd like a pet hedgehog too, who I'd name him sonic;
    section0-tvl-backto--media-1-quizX5Fid-z20070913135041399X2Dw009.dbplc.comX2DX54X50X2DX50rocessor70X2D16762-u-20070913135041399X2Dw009.dbplc.comX2DX54X50X2DX50rocessor70X2D16762-z-f.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭jefreywithonef

I wanna grow up to be a debaser.

/gives in to nerdy temptation.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

You know that song 'If a body catch a body comin' through the rye'?

Anyway, I keep picturing these little kids playing some game in this big field or rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean, except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    You know that song 'If a body catch a body comin' through the rye'?

Anyway, I keep picturing these little kids playing some game in this big field or rye and all. Thousands of little kids, and nobody's around - nobody big, I mean, except me. And I'm standing on the edge of some crazy cliff. What I have to do, I have to catch everybody if they start to go over the cliff - I mean if they're running and they don't look where they're going I have to come out from somewhere and catch them. That's all I'd do all day. I'd just be the catcher in the rye and all. I know it's crazy, but that's the only thing I'd really like to be. I know it's crazy...

Oh, I get it.

I get jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I want to visit North Korea.

Oi! Get your own dreams, don't be stealing mine!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I don't really *do* dreams, was never really into the long term planning thing...never even told family that I wanted to do medicine til I was putting in the CAO, even tho i wanted to do it for years :rolleyes:

One and only thing that I've been dreaming about for years is doing a skydive...and thanks to my boyfriend and an amazing birthday prezzie, I'll soon be throwing myself out of a plane...woop! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

I really want to program computer games, not sure if I'll be able to but I'm going to try my hardest to get there. Doing maths in college at the moment and planning on doing a masters in maths modelling and coding and maybe another one in coding specifically for games. Then I'm going to work in Rare and force them to make another Viva Pinata or Banjo Kazooie. Its going to be awesome.

So long as I pass 3rd maths that is which is looking unlikely at the moment

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    I really want to program computer games, not sure if I'll be able to but I'm going to try my hardest to get there. Doing maths in college at the moment and planning on doing a masters in maths modelling and coding and maybe another one in coding specifically for games. Then I'm going to work in Rare and force them to make another Viva Pinata or Banjo Kazooie. Its going to be awesome.

So long as I pass 3rd maths that is which is looking unlikely at the moment

Someone who wants to program games doing maths :eek:.
    Most of the people I know who want to program games for some reason have no idea it's like the most Maths/Physics intense programming ever, so you at least have way better chances than them.

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Someone who wants to program games doing maths :eek:.
    Most of the people I know who want to program games for some reason have no idea it's like the most Maths/Physics intense programming ever, so you at least have way better chances than them.

I'm hoping my maths abilities will make up for my lack of programming skills. Though I'm going to try and learn how to program in Java during the summer. If I can find a good online course, I'd screw everything up if I tried to just learn it by myself

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I just want to fight :o

I'm hoping my maths abilities will make up for my lack of programming skills. Though I'm going to try and learn how to program in Java during the summer. If I can find a good online course, I'd screw everything up if I tried to just learn it by myself

Ewww ewww ewww.

Don't learn Java.
    I mean I'd be saying that anyway just because I don't like it, but really games programming is pretty much always done in C/C++.
    I wouldn't say they're harder than Java either, they're a bit more tedious to use in some ways but apart from pointers there's really nothing extra to learn, and pointers can be pretty damn useful.

I did some C++ in 2nd year. I was going to learn Java because my masters will include it and C# so I thought I would get a head start on it. And do some harder C++ as we only did fairly basic stuff, focusing more on working out the maths than doing hard programming

I did some C++ in 2nd year. I was going to learn Java because my masters will include it and C# so I thought I would get a head start on it. And do some harder C++ as we only did fairly basic stuff, focusing more on working out the maths than doing hard programming

A masters including Java and C#?

What is this, a business degree?

Nope, maths modelling and coding. Taking real life situations, making a system of mathematical equations to model the situation then making a program to run the system. I'm not entirely sure what its intended for, it doesn't really say. But it is government funded, which makes it awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

I just want to fight :o

Your violent nature worries and scares me. >_>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Jako8 wrote: »
    Your violent nature worries and scares me. >_>
    Im not violent really............im a teddy bear...........a skinny non hairy teddy bear :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭Jako8

Im not violent really............im a teddy bear...........a skinny non hairy teddy bear :confused:

Oh that's ok then. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I will be famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

To have a pet dinosaur.
    To own an island near Fiji.
    To go shopping with Marie Antoinette.
    To grow a bit more.
    To make a scientific discovery.
    To direct a Shakespeare play.
    To beat The Stig in a drag race.
    To have dinner with Nelson Mandela, Mary Magdaline and Cleopatra.
    To marry Spiderman.
    To get my degree and a masters in Education =D

(Again, dreams arent meant to be realistic :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

I wanna be a vet. Dammit I WILL be a vet!* I'd love to work with wildlife conservation around the world, too. Write a bit, maybe. Marry Jesse Lacey.

*feel free to rub this in my face if the plan goes títs up come results day next year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I wanna be a vet. Dammit I WILL be a vet!* I'd love to work with wildlife conservation around the world, too. Write a bit, maybe. Marry Jesse Lacey.

*feel free to rub this in my face if the plan goes títs up come results day next year
    Don't worry, there's planty of ways to do anything, not just that specific degree :)

Loving the determination though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

See you in UCD :D

It's a **** hard course. Nearly broke one of my friends this year.

BUT she passed everything and freaking loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

Want to play and sing my songs at big festivals around the world ,hearing people sing them back to me .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I am afraid that I am going to have to end you :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Extrasupervery

I want to work for the make a wish foundation.

Nicest job EVER

Advertisement