Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Copyright law for private (but possibly commercial) recording services?

• 29-05-2010 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭

We have set up a studio to record a few tracks over the coming months.

In the mean time, I've been asked by a few amature musicians if they can come in and record a track, for their own amusement while I'm set up.

I'm wondering, am I in breach of copyright when someone wants to record a version of say, a Killers song and I provide the service?

Thanks for any input!
    Ten

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Your not in breach of anything.

If they do a cover and then fail to notify the publishers and/or the copyright owners then THEY will get into trouble SHOULD they even release/broadcast/perform.

You could actually help the situation (and cover your own ass / do the band a favor) by submitting the details to the respective agency. Let the band know that it's the right thing to do from the off as larger companies tend to nasty fast.

I remember having a conversation with a manager in London that had a track that Kate Bush had refused to let a band release, he went ahead anyway saying 'they only care if you sell more than 5000 copies' - basically the number back then that a larger company would get its interest piqued and go for the throat.

So, basically - find the company/person who has the rights and forward the details if the band plan on exploiting it - if they refuse, then that's all they do - they will say 'you can't exploit or perform this' and won't care about who recorded it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭TenLeftFingers

Thanks Neurojazz - that's great. These guys are actually individuals, as opposed to a group. They're just recreational musicians that can't really sing or play but would love a CD for the hell of it. It'll never go past there - I'm sure of that :)

If I get anyone half serious, I'll follow your advice - which I really appreciate by the way. I should have just asked here before doing all the web-searching.

Thanks again,
    Ten

Advertisement