Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato cake

Options
  • 29-05-2010 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭

I typed in irish potato cake into google and got this now when I think of potato cake I think of the fried patty kind of things and I know it's what my friend thinks of as well. So I've started to wonder is it just that this person that has just called what she's made Irish(I don't think it's just this person too) or is it just a thing where I am that our potato cakes are fried and never baked.

Also I went a bit further and looked at wikis entry for potato cakes, I've never heard it called potato bread or spid bread!? (I know wikis not the best of sourses but at least they got the fried part right)
    Irish potato cakes are typically made from mashed potato and baking soda and are usually fried. It differs from boxty as boxty is made of raw potatoes where as potato cake is made from cooked potatoes. In Ireland, potato cakes are typically known as potato bread, or spid bread and are served in traditional breakfasts along with soda bread and toast.

A little further seraching Odlums to the rescue!

But has anyone grown up in Ireland making baked potato cakes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Orla K wrote: »
    I typed in irish potato cake into google and got this now when I think of potato cake I think of the fried patty kind of things and I know it's what my friend thinks of as well. So I've started to wonder is it just that this person that has just called what she's made Irish(I don't think it's just this person too) or is it just a thing where I am that our potato cakes are fried and never baked.

Also I went a bit further and looked at wikis entry for potato cakes, I've never heard it called potato bread or spid bread!? (I know wikis not the best of sourses but at least they got the fried part right)

A little further seraching Odlums to the rescue!

But has anyone grown up in Ireland making baked potato cakes?
    I still make them ocassionally lovely with some tuna mixed through and served with some sweet chili sauce on the side.
    Or lovely with the 100% pure corned beef off the deli counter mixed through .
    I usually just steam the spuds mash the potato with a little butter , mix in tuna or corned beef , make into patties and dust the patties in flour before putting on the pan. :D Nom Nom Nom hungry now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

The odlums recipe is the most similar to mine. I sometimes add in some mustard/paprika or tabasco simply because I love the heat.

They must however be served with a dippy fried egg... .yummmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Yup. My late mother used to make them for us from the leftovers quite often. So left over mash pototoes, if any leftover meat that would be chopped up and added in, some finely chopped onion and sometimes mushrooms. Just add egg- one or two depending on quantities- roll them into patties and chill in the fridge for a bit, then fry. She never used breadcrumbs, but sometimes if too sticky might put a bit of flour on them. I make them all the time myself now too, good for hiding vegetables and meat for reluctant kiddies. Yummy with ketchup.

Or fishcakes are nice too- left over mash, with cooked flaked salmon and spring onion, an egg and bobs your uncle. Nice with a little lemon juice.

Advertisement