Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louth Customer service

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Been a while folks.. :)

The good!

Paddy Dwyer Shoes in Drogheda - Lads are always helpful and willing to knock a few bob off (without asking).

Waterstones in Scotch Hall - Very friendly staff, go out of their way to find something for you.

The Black Bull - Great staff even in difficult situations.

The bad

Can't think of many, but..

The Kylemore on West Street is a stand out - Horrible horrible staff. No manners - one particular young girl is the most infuriating person I've ever had the displeasure to deal with. Don't know how they get away with it. Never again.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Als76

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Two more i've thought for, devennys always has what you're looking for. But it seems like your sticking a knife through them for a simple request.

Then the cinema staff are all very nice except for the woman manager.

was in Devennys recently the younger staff were in thae back were helpful but the old lady and young one on the desk should learn to smile, say thanks and be nicer to customers. Its a busy little shop

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Als76 wrote: »
    was in Devennys recently the younger staff were in thae back were helpful but the old lady and young one on the desk should learn to smile, say thanks and be nicer to customers. Its a busy little shop

lol haven' t been in devenneys for years but that takes me back....she was always a sour ole wan........snappy and unfriendly.
    the one in the gift and art gallery ( i since saw her in the paper and she owns it ) is ignorant. its a horrible place to go in, you can't look at anything. she has no manners or customer service skills.
    agree with service in garage at oriel, top class always, friedndly no matter who is on.................cheevers is good too but EVERYTHING is priced wrong but thats another issue.

agree about sloanes too , always friendly and the regular girl in joans shop up ath the top of ave road is very friendly.....but the shop on alphonsus road, can't remember name but used to be cash stores years back, there's a wee red headed guy in there and he has the manners of a dog, and when you hand him money he slams the change back on counter rather than hand it to you..... rude as hell !

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭D.R Adams

For a start i just want to say this was a f**king great idea for a thread, so many people have hit the nail on the head when it comes to good & bad service in Louth.

That redhead guy in Alphonous Rd shop is a right little nark, id love to take a pop at him! Ditto for the guy who owns the butchers in Greenacres (and the woman that is usually working with him - a wench).
    I find the guy whos owns La Cantina a bit unfriendly also.

As for good service you can't beat Mankind - always helpful & jolly, Sloanes shop ( all the family) i always try and use it over the franchise shops(centra, spar etc). Also Conlons Deli, and a special mention for the guy who owns Planet video store - extremely helpful and pleasant, always makes me go there instead of Xtravision.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 carrie b

I shop a lot in M&S Laurence center, sales assistants are very polite and efficient but I noticed a number of times when certain managers are on staff seem very uptight and there seems to be a bad atmosphere, these sales assistants are doing a great job, so managers lighten up for all our sakes!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

the one in the gift and art gallery ( i since saw her in the paper and she owns it ) is ignorant. its a horrible place to go in, you can't look at anything. she has no manners or customer service skills.

i can't disagree more and won't let that comment go unanswered. I don't have cause to shop there too often but when I do she, and all the staff, are very helpful. I have never had bad serve from them. They'll even exchange stuff if you're not sure it was bought there. Your comment is unfair and a fault with this type of thread which can slag off anybody or any business on one person's opinion or gripe.

Actually I think the MODs need to be careful of some of the defamation that is here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Folks,

I've deleted posts and edited others. Be careful what you post from now on as there may be no further warnings. As always, if you've a problem with any post use the 'Report Post' function to bring it to our attention. Feel free to drop me a PM with any queries or concerns.

Thanks.

D.R Adams wrote: »
    That redhead guy in ***** shop is a right little nark... Ditto for the guy who owns the butchers in ***** (and the woman that is usually working with him - a wench).
    I find the guy whos owns ****** a bit unfriendly also...

This is not directed at you specifically but to all the others who have posted about bad service in particular locations. The same applies to the OP always getting bad service in a fast food outlet. Why go back to these places? If I get bad service, or don't like someone's attitude, I don't give them my custom or money. If the woman in the stationery shop is so off putting don't go back. If the guy on the till is a pain then tell the manager and don't go back.

Just as an aside, I always make a point of complimenting good service. I say it to the person involved and tell the boss as well (often phoning afterwards to praise the staff member). Do many others do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Bande_nere

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Two more i've thought for, devennys always has what you're looking for. But it seems like your sticking a knife through them for a simple request.

Then the cinema staff are all very nice except for the woman manager.

Agreed, In my opinion this particular persons behaviour is a text book example of how not to treat your customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Why go back to these places? If I get bad service, or don't like someone's attitude, I don't give them my custom or money.

If a particular place sells something you really want and you can't get it anywhere else I suppose you've no choice but to put up with bad service.

• Advertisement

Ann22 wrote: »

If a particular place sells something you really want and you can't get it anywhere else I suppose you've no choice but to put up with bad service.

Burgers, Stationery, and corner shop groceries, as complained about here, are hardly exclusive to the outlets mentioned. One thing about Dundalk is we're not stuck for other retaillers providing those goods.:)

I have never had bad serve from them. .

aren't you lucky then ? the point is this thread is about louth customer service..........i gave examples of good an bad (In My Opinion).......i am very conscious of the service i get an expect to get the respect that i give..........i appreciate good service and friendly staff and have on occasion mentioned it to the ppl concerned or their bosses. my point was, in the case you accused me of 'defamation' i found this particular person to be rude and unhelpful..........maybe you're the type of person she wants in her shop and i am not, who knows........either way my experience is my experience, yours is yours ! both are as valid as each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Has anyone that's complaining ever had a prolonged job that they had to deal with the public? Like in a shop?

The lack of intelligence and pure ignorance of some customers would dumbfound you!

For that reason I sometimes give bad customer service the benefit of the doubt but if its constant thats a different matter

...you accused me of 'defamation' ...maybe you're the type of person she wants in her shop ...either way my experience is my experience, yours is yours ! both are as valid as each other.

If you read the comment you'll see I referred to defamation in the thread as a whole not in your comment and therefore accused you of nothing whatsoever. That said, the way you stated it, it was certainly defamation. Believe me, I'm right on this one and the MODS have saved your blushes by editing it correctly.

No need to get so personal in your reply. I pointed out my experience and alerted posters to defamatory remarks. I did not invalidate your comment; just gave a contrary view. Get over it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

When I worked in retail no matter how stupid, ignorant and rude the customer was because I had pride in the customer service I gave no one was ever treated as shoddily or rudely as overall customer service has become in shops these days. It beggars belief how the fact of people spending in your place of work equates to your wages being paid and, in some cases, your job surviving eludes some of the people serving behind counters or on shop floors.

It's not the customers fault that you're not happy in the job/are hungover/had a row with your o/h /your boss is a w*nker.

The customer doesn't want to hear who or what you are doing at the weekend OR how much you are going to drink. Nor do they want to hear the intimate details of the goings on in the shop two doors down.

And when they are standing with an item in their hand at the till YES, they would like to pay for it.

Yes I had my fair share of gobsh*tes giving me a hard time, but I was able to rise above it with a smile on my face and usually they came back with their tail between their legs.

But if you feel anyone and everyone spending their hard earned cash in your place of work deserve your contempt - then you're in the wrong job.

If you read the comment you'll see I referred to defamation in the thread as a whole not in your comment and therefore accused you of nothing whatsoever. That said, the way you stated it, it was certainly defamation. Believe me, I'm right on this one and the MODS have saved your blushes by editing it correctly.

No need to get so personal in your reply. I pointed out my experience and alerted posters to defamatory remarks. I did not invalidate your comment; just gave a contrary view. Get over it!

what an idiotic thingto say ! should i bow to your superior knowledge.........how did i get through my life thus far without your input. also given that your post was mod edited also you're in no position to comment on mine ! also you took issue with my post.......there is a report function for that and as the mod then correctly pointed out ....use it ! what would the point be in commenting on customer service if you can only 'agree' with Clementine Curved Piccolos point of you. and as for getting personal to you.......where exactly ???? you're trying to cause an argument where there is none ...... back seat modding at it's best.

also given that your post was mod edited also you're in no position to comment on mine ! also you took issue with my post.......there is a report function for that and as the mod then correctly pointed out ....use it

1. The edit was only to amend the quote from your post, to remove the defematory comment from you. :D None of my own input was amended.:)

2. I did use the report function! :p

Relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

washiskin wrote: »
    When I worked in retail no matter how stupid, ignorant and rude the customer was because I had pride in the customer service I gave no one was ever treated as shoddily or rudely as overall customer service has become in shops these days. It beggars belief how the fact of people spending in your place of work equates to your wages being paid and, in some cases, your job surviving eludes some of the people serving behind counters or on shop floors.

It's not the customers fault that you're not happy in the job/are hungover/had a row with your o/h /your boss is a w*nker.

The customer doesn't want to hear who or what you are doing at the weekend OR how much you are going to drink. Nor do they want to hear the intimate details of the goings on in the shop two doors down.

And when they are standing with an item in their hand at the till YES, they would like to pay for it.

Yes I had my fair share of gobsh*tes giving me a hard time, but I was able to rise above it with a smile on my face and usually they came back with their tail between their legs.

But if you feel anyone and everyone spending their hard earned cash in your place of work deserve your contempt - then you're in the wrong job.

I agree with some of what you are saying. I don't want to hear about last night or how you were put on late nights by the manager 3weeks in a row or that your getting your highlights done tomorrow.

But...
    There are absolute w*nkers out there that treat you like a piece of dirt on their shoe. They shout, swear and make a show of themselves and expect you to break company policy and pander to them - and as much as you try to give good customer service - there are some people that just push you too far with insults and threats and have to be stood up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Burgers, Stationery, and corner shop groceries, as complained about here, are hardly exclusive to the outlets mentioned. One thing about Dundalk is we're not stuck for other retaillers providing those goods.:)

Burgers aren't the same in every take away:)..like Kfc for example, it's getting a bad press here. I love the food, I'd hate to deprive myself of its scruminess 'cos of unpleasant staff. In saying that, In my experience, I don't find their staff ignorant. I've an issue with the price of their ketchup though:)

I'm always buying stuff in the Gift and Art. Good selection of stuff, jewellery and gifts for every occasion. I used to find the staff intimidating a few years ago, especially when I had my son with me. I felt they watched every move...especially when the shop's crowded. Lately though, I've found them a lot better, there's a few younger girls working there now and they're very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭gilmour

The manageress/head waitress/owner (not sure of her exact title) of Eno is a miserable so and so, her depressing responses and general bitchy attitude to any simple request or question makes me feel like hitting her over the head with the menu. Why do i go back? Because i love to rant about her everytime i leave the place, clears the head out.

The KFC is definitely another that stands out. You have to give it to them, they excel in consistency. Ive been to the drive through over a dozen times and not once did they manage to serve my order without missing something out.

• Advertisement

gilmour wrote: »
    The manageress/head waitress/owner (not sure of her exact title) of Eno is a miserable so and so, her depressing responses and general bitchy attitude to any simple request or question makes me feel like hitting her over the head with the menu. .

I don't know! I must look for something completely different when I use some of these shops and cafes! I go to Eno not only because they have great coffee but also because my wife and I find them very pleasent and friendly. When we go for a meal they will go off menu for my picky tastes.

I'm starting to wonder if Customer Service is in the eye of the beholder. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭SOCOM

Bought an iPhone about 9 months ago from this shop and found the overall service top notch, about 3 weeks later my iPhone crashed, went back in to seewhat could be done, I am not joking when I say they had absolutley no interest whatsoever! It turns out all I needed to do was reboot the phone by holding down a couple of buttons for a few seconds, you would think they would know this simple fix, but no they suggested I call apple with my dead phone!!
    In hindsight I remember just after I signed the contract the customer rep's attitude changed instantly as in we have you now cos I asked a few more questions about the phone and tariff, they grunted and referred me to the website
    apple on the other hand were sound they did not need my blood type or my dads mothers maiden name in order to sort the problem
    thanks for letting me air my grieveance!!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

draffodx wrote: »
    Has anyone that's complaining ever had a prolonged job that they had to deal with the public? Like in a shop?

The lack of intelligence and pure ignorance of some customers would dumbfound you!

For that reason I sometimes give bad customer service the benefit of the doubt but if its constant thats a different matter

That doesn't excuse being rude to a person who is polite to you.

I've worked in retail since I was 16 and have never worked in a shop that would tolerate that kind of behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭peewee_44

Deffo one for the Good Customer Service has to be Matthews Chemist. I think they are fantastic esp the girls that work on the pharmacy part of it. Always serve with a smile and have a bit of chat with you. There are a few shops that could take a leaf out of there book.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

SOCOM wrote: »
    Bought an iPhone about 9 months ago from this shop and found the overall service top notch, about 3 weeks later my iPhone crashed, went back in to seewhat could be done, I am not joking when I say they had absolutley no interest whatsoever! It turns out all I needed to do was reboot the phone by holding down a couple of buttons for a few seconds, you would think they would know this simple fix, but no they suggested I call apple with my dead phone!!
    In hindsight I remember just after I signed the contract the customer rep's attitude changed instantly as in we have you now cos I asked a few more questions about the phone and tariff, they grunted and referred me to the website
    apple on the other hand were sound they did not need my blood type or my dads mothers maiden name in order to sort the problem
    thanks for letting me air my grieveance!!

I used to work in a phone shop and every i mean everything said above is true in 99% of phone shops :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

draffodx wrote: »

I worked in retail for 3 years, and I know exactly what you mean. The sense of entitlement some people have is just jaw dropping. Also doesn't help when you're taking stick for following company policy and are then overruled by a cowardly manager, just feeds the behaviour of these people.

The "Cries of Retail" thread in Ranting & Raving is my favourite thread on boards! :D
    Lol, heres one most of you wont have experienced. The Remnant Basket, Chapel St, Dundalk has to be the perfect case study for appalling customer service.

I have experienced their service actually! I have to say it wasn't too bad though. :) Maybe I got them on a good day?

Funglegunk wrote: »
    I have experienced their service actually! I have to say it wasn't too bad though. :) Maybe I got them on a good day?

Have to agree. I find the Remnant Basket staff to be ok. Nothing brilliant but nothing wrong with them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭D.R Adams

This is not directed at you specifically but to all the others who have posted about bad service in particular locations. The same applies to the OP always getting bad service in a fast food outlet. Why go back to these places? If I get bad service, or don't like someone's attitude, I don't give them my custom or money. If the woman in the stationery shop is so off putting don't go back. If the guy on the till is a pain then tell the manager and don't go back.

Just as an aside, I always make a point of complimenting good service. I say it to the person involved and tell the boss as well (often phoning afterwards to praise the staff member). Do many others do this?

Who is saying that we do go back to these places?? We are just commenting on bad customer service that we have experienced. Plus as another poster has mentioned, it can be hard to avoid these places if you really like what they offer, La Cantina for example, the food is great but i don't particularly care for the owners manner.
    Its peoples opinions so don't get all high and mighty over it.
    If you think some of the posts re so bad then take a leaf from your own book and stop reading the thread.

well said dr adams.........i think its a great thread but feel that free speech can't be facilitated cause we may have a mate of a mate or a concerned party contributing to sway favour. personally i have posted on those i praise and criticise............i hve no allegiance or pre concieved predjudice to any. if you find good service....say it......if you don't.....say it.....dont start a ridic row where there is none warranted.

ps
    i've recently been back to la cantina.......rude element has gone....changed hands....new table cloths, cutlery, quality of food and service........not to mention the ridic statue of mary in the corner ???????!!!!!!

• Advertisement

D.R Adams wrote: »
    Who is saying that we do go back to these places??..Its peoples opinions so don't get all high and mighty over it.
    If you think some of the posts re so bad then take a leaf from your own book and stop reading the thread.

1. If you bothered your neck to read all the posts you'd see that I was referring to people, in general, who return time after time to a shop/service and yet complain about bad service. Time to go somewhere else if you have complained of poor service and things remain the same. There are no goods so special or rare that they can't be sourced elsewhere or done without if faced with bad service.

2. I agree it's each persons opinion and, believe it or not, I respect that fact. However, aren't we ALL entitled to have an opinion even if it disagrees with what others think? High and mighty? You have got to be joking! My opinion; your opinion. It's all opinion. No airs. No graces. Just expression of a thought. Not my fault if my style of writing causes you uncomfortable moments, or cause to read something in a tone in which it was not written.

3. Who said anything about any posts being bad? Not I. Defamatory certainly (fact proven) but I certainly never said any post was bad.

I like this thread but it has to be fair and honest with all opinions shared and appreciated. Please don't put a tone, which I haven't added, to my posts just because the sentiment is at variance with your own.:)

Advertisement