Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Louth Customer service

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭washiskin

Went into TK Maxx in Drogheda yesterday morning - around 11am ish and was one of the first people in.

The place was really quiet and I didn't stay long so I reckon I was one of the first at the checkouts. Well to say that the reception I got from the girl was glacial is an understatement. I pointed out that the price tag on one item was inside the packaging and I got "I Know" snapped back at me. Ignoring this I smiled and said "it took me ages to find". Deadpan - no acknowledgement at all. Stuff scanned and I got "7.98" - no please. I took out a fiver and counted out the remainder quickly as I was now slightly embarassed and wanted to go. "Theres 2.98 there" I said handing it over. "I said 7.98 ! " was the terse reply as I handed over the fiver and then a mumbled "oh". I said thankyou and goodbye but again no reaction - except she was checking a text message on her phone.

It's not my fault you had to work on a Bank Holiday madam and the bare minimum you could have muttered was please and thank you. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭furiousox

washiskin wrote: »
    It's not my fault you had to work on a Bank Holiday madam and the bare minimum you could have muttered was please and thank you. :mad:

Yeah but why didn't you say that to her?
    Sounds like you should have.

CPL 593H

To be honest, I really felt like it but she was too busy scowling at her phone so it would have been a waste of time. I did look around for a managment type but there were very few staff on. Usually the staff there are nice.

AND I didn't want to end up on "The Cries of Retail" thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...It's not my fault you had to work on a Bank Holiday madam and the bare minimum you could have muttered was please and thank you. :mad:

I agree that this girl was very rude, but it sort of IS your fault that she has to work on a Bank Holiday. Well, not just you alone, but shoppers like you in general who want to go shopping on a Public Holiday. If people didn't want to shop, the shops would close on a BH.

I agree that this girl was very rude, but it sort of IS your fault that she has to work on a Bank Holiday. Well, not just you alone, but shoppers like you in general who want to go shopping on a Public Holiday. If people didn't want to shop, the shops would close on a BH.

I normally don't go shopping on a Bank Holiday, I went in because the shop was quiet and I was passing by.

I'm sorry but I don't agree that shops would close if people didn't want to shop on an Bank Holiday. I'm sure people across Germany (for example) would like to browse in the shops on a Sunday but they can't because the shops just don't open. It's the love of the wonga by the shops and government here that keeps them open on a Bank Holiday.

Do you honestly think TK Maxx look out into the car park at 12 noon on a Sunday and say "Ah it looks quiet out there lads, shure close up" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I normally don't go shopping on a Bank Holiday, I went in because the shop was quiet and I was passing by.

I'm sorry but I don't agree that shops would close if people didn't want to shop on an Bank Holiday. I'm sure people across Germany (for example) would like to browse in the shops on a Sunday but they can't because the shops just don't open. It's the love of the wonga by the shops and government here that keeps them open on a Bank Holiday.

Do you honestly think TK Maxx look out into the car park at 12 noon on a Sunday and say "Ah it looks quiet out there lads, shure close up" ?

I would love not to have to work weekends and bank holidays - but that's when most people get their only chance to shop so I can see why it's become the norm in retail.

I really hate the opening hours in the run up to Christmas though. Seriously - it's not worth opening until 9pm on a Monday night in November.

In the north shops cannot open their tills until 1pm and shut at 6pm- even if Christmas Eve falls on a Sunday -It's the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

:D No, not quite!

BUT, if they were paying wages for all the staff on Sundays or BHs, and nobody was turning up to shop, and they were losing money, then yes, they would make the decision to close on those days.*

It is a bit 'chicken and egg'; does the demand for shopping on those days drive the provision of the service, or does the availability of the service drive the demand? It's a bit of both, tbh, but certainly if the demand wasn't there, the service wouldn't be either.

* I don't mean that on any given Sunday they'd close if it was quiet, but that if over a period, they were losing money generally, they'd decide to stop Sunday shopping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

in all fairness if the customer service isnt up to scratch these people obviously dont like their jobs... i am sure there are plenty of other people willing to have their job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have to compliment the Foodhouse in Clanbrassil St Dundalk (McAteers I think). I was blown away reently with not only the friendly staff but the level of service. Not the fastest service in the world but I don't rush a meal or coffee break anyway. I had cause to go there recently and, while I don't want to go into all the details, they went above and beyond the call with service. Very nice place and very nice people. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭D.R Adams

Listen this is by no means any shoppers fault, if the stores chose to close on a Sunday and BH then nobody would be able to go there and what would happen is people would expect and get used to shops being closed on these days and would spend them doing other things.
    But here in Ireland shops stay open 7 days a week and no matter how many of us decide to stay away there is always going to be Sunday shoppers.
    And it is not this persons fault that that rude girl has to work on a Sunday or BH, its her employers fault.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 SAMCRO

I personally found the service in JJB soccer dome to be top notch always finds friendly. Esspecilly the big tall blonde guy he is very nice and helpfull and great with kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dioza

SAMCRO wrote: »
    I personally found the service in JJB soccer dome to be top notch always finds friendly. Esspecilly the big tall blonde guy he is very nice and helpfull and great with kids.

Shut up Stephen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 SAMCRO

Dioza wrote: »
    Shut up Stephen :D
    Stephen?? Im afraid I dont know what you are talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Staff in Mullens (the ones in Roden Place and Blackrock not the ones on the Castletown Road and the one up towards bridge street) are dead sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭BordorFox

Well in all honesty, if you were to work in the situation most of them do, which i do, you would know they get complaining shoppers all day and most of management in retailers try to avoid such situations most the time by passing the buck, staff don't have that luxury and it does get tiresome.

Just the other day had some guy try to tell me i had stolen his change that he was suppose to get when he sent his two 7yr olds in to shop for him, they had left their change behind them in a auto till, somebody next..lifted it, however he was intent of accusing me of stealing it because i worked there.

When you have to work in those sort of scenarios you can build up a dislike, but told to keep a smiling face or lose your job.

My point is, if you expect to be treated good, at least pay the other person the same respect, even if you don't get it much in return, you could be lightening up their day and it will have an effect, but sometimes the scale of customer service is out of the servers hands when they're told to do various things and not what you would actually like.

Happy Shopping :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Linda123

can't believe nobody has mentioned Kearney & Lynch paint shop. They are very helpful and knowledgeable, and always knock something off the price.
    Also, Dublin Providers on the Ramparts are great.
    Have to agree with Gamestop, they are helpful and very knowledgeable.
    Although , the manageress in Smyths toys in the retails park is a horrible person, and I try to avoid the place if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

Dunnes Stores in Scotch Hall very poor customer service. I'm not trying to sound racist or whatever but there are a lot of foreigners working the tills there. Thats not the problem, The problem is that almost everytime I go there they never say a single word during the transaction...

Not even a "hello" or "goodbye". Even worse, when they're finished scanning the items through they just hold out their hand and wait for you to put some money in it. They don't even tell you how much. A lot of the women (AFAIK its only women who work the tills) at the desk there spend entire transactions talking with their workmates and ignoring the customer, its a true disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭fh041205

whelan1 wrote: »
    in all fairness if the customer service isnt up to scratch these people obviously dont like their jobs... i am sure there are plenty of other people willing to have their job

Its actually kills me seeing people who are blatantly obnoxious or rude when I spent a good part of the summer applying to the exact same places for a job and didn't get one. Instead this ignoramous is being paid for treating people badly. Boils my blood...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Linda123 wrote: »
    Also, Dublin Providers on the Ramparts are great.

You have got to be joking! DPL don't give any service. They are the talk of the town - how you can wander about for half an hour looking for some member of staff to serve you. When they do, they know nothing about the products they sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Went into fast fix beside fás last week, there's a little window behind the trade counter that you can see into the warehouse.
    There's was two of the younger lads inside and one of them looked at me then put his head down.
    The other said "aaahhh you made eye, contact you have to serve him, that's the rule" he replied "f##k off" and then made his way back to the rear of the warehouse then up the stairs.
    The remaining lad turned around and headed to the rear also.
    I was there for nearly 10mins, shouting into the warehouse to get attention before finally being served by one of the regular lads who seemed to be returning from his morning break.
    Now the items i buy there can only be got by them so i have little choice but to go back.
    However they've been charging me nearly 50% less on this product since i started going there, a mistake on their part from the start, so i'm going to keep quiet on this occasion :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭pinky 06

I think Dundalk Plumbing are good. There's an english lad who works there that seems to know his stuff and is always very helpful.
    Also the spirit store have great customer service. Always friendly and cheery! :)

Advertisement