Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First full size ladies bike

• 29-05-2010 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭

Ok so I found this template you guys have come up with to make things easier so I hope someone can give me some advice please:

What type of bike do you want? (MTB / Hybrid / Road Racer) I'm thinking of either a ladies hybrid or road cruiser

Where will you be using it? on-road around town and out the country roads

What's your budget? up to €800

Do you want to ride before buy or happy with online purchase? I think it's best to try a few out before I buy but will consider on-line

Do you need attachment points for a rear rack? yes! for mudguards and maybe a rack

Do you want aggressive geometry or more comfortable? more comfortable but not upright like a Dutch bike, definitely not road race, don't like the drop-bars.

What gearing? Fast, easy or fixie? at least 7 or 8 gears, Wicklow is hilly!

Any preferences on brand? Will consider anything but I like the look of Trek and Cube

Any preferences on components? Would love hub gears cause I think they look nicer :D and are pretty much maintenance free but any bikes I see with them seem to make the bike either too heavy or over my budget so derailleur it may have to be. Also lightweight frame.

Any preferences on weight? I'm 5'4 and weigh 49kilos and VERY unfit so I'd like a bike that's not too heavy to take on hills. Preferably up to 10 or 11 kilos but will go over that a bit for the perfect bike.

Will it be locked in public? If so where - do you have a good enough lock? God yeah, it will definitely be locked if I have to leave it in public and I'll buy a good lock for it. It will be stored indoors in my apartment.

Are full length mudguards required? Preferably but any kind to keep the rain off

Do you need to use it off road (answer: no you don't and you won't and potholes do not require front suspension): em, that's a no then? :D no I think I'll stick to the roads around Wicklow.

Are you concerned with speed? I'd like a pretty fast bike yes as I want to get fit, but I don't need a racer as I don't envisage doing huge millage on it and I don't want those really skinny slick tires to be found on racers.

What distances will you be doing? Building up to 10 or 15 miles a day. I run too so I want a bike to increase my fitness levels on days I'm not running so I can exercise different sets of muscles.

Do you have a bike/bike(s) already and how comfortable are you with them? Yes I have a piece of crap folding bike for going to the shops, 20" wheels but it's useless for taking out for long journeys and it's damn heavy too.
    I've never had a bike with 26 or 28" wheels so this'll be my first.

I had a look online and I like the Trek 7.3 as it seems to come highly recommended and looks good (yes, looks are kind of important to me :o)
    Others that look suitable maybe are: Giant Dash 4 Giant CRS 2 Lapierre Shaper 300 Lapierre All Elements Rock '10 Cube LTD. CLS Pro Bike Giant Escape 2 (I like that it already comes with mudguards and a rack) and the Trek 7300 WSD

Am I right in thinking that mudguards could be fitted to all these bikes?
    Is there any of the ones I mentioned a definite no-no or not a good bike?
    And is there any one that sticks out above the others for quality of components, or because it's a smooth ride?
    I want a sturdy bike that'll last me a few years as money is an issue for me and I need to get the best for what I can afford.
    If anyone has any other suggestions for other bikes I haven't thought of please do say.
    Thank's in advance :)
    Oh and I'll consider anything as long as it's not bloody pink :rolleyes: don't know why bike manufacturers think all us wimmin likes pink bikes. I don't, I hate them, wouldn't be seen dead with anything pink :mad: and I know female friends who don't either so please stop patronising us with yer pink frames please! /rant

*ahem*:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Of the bikes you list I would go for the Giant Dash 4 or the Lapierre Shaper.They look like nippy lightish flat barred road bikes.Not sure if they take mudguards or racks though.

Several of your listed bikes have front suspension. I would count these out for road riding.(The mtb revolution led people to believe they needed suspension on road bikes. Its just extra weight and the bouncing soaks up your cycling energy.)

Boardmans worth a look. They offer great value. If you or someone you know has an axa insurance policy you can get 15% off.

E.g http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_502559_langId_-1_categoryId_212377#dtab

Cheaper and dearer models also.

Edit: I like pink.(btw:))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

papac wrote: »
    Of the bikes you list I would go for the Giant Dash 4 or the Lapierre Shaper.They look like nippy lightish flat barred road bikes.Not sure if they take mudguards or racks though.

Both of them bikes look ideal for your type of cycling. From the pictures the lapierre will take mudguards and rack but hard to tell about the Giant, best to call into the shop to confirm. Get the Shop to quote a price with these fitted as well. You may exceed your 800 budget once you factor in accssories

Although I do like the name of this one and seems to tick all the boxes for you, including hub gears:

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=39&idproduct=32119

Cube,Giant & Lapierre are good reputable brands so with a bit of TLC you should get good life out of both bikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You could also look at a charge tap. Sold in cycleways. www.chargebikes.com €660

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

:cool: I'll check them out when I get to cyclesuperstore next week.

Several of your listed bikes have front suspension. I would count these out for road riding.(The mtb revolution led people to believe they needed suspension on road bikes. Its just extra weight and the bouncing soaks up your cycling energy.)

I never even checked if the bikes I saw had suspension :o that makes sense though about it using up cycling energy, I never thought of it like that. I thought front suspension might be useful on our roads but it's not a necessity. I just avoid the pot-holes when I can!

Boardmans worth a look. They offer great value. If you or someone you know has an axa insurance policy you can get 15% off.

Thank's!

E.g http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_502559_langId_-1_categoryId_212377#dtab

Cheaper and dearer models also.

Yeah that one is lovely but a bit spendy for me by the time I get mudguards and whatever else I need on the bike. It's also too small. I have long legs for my height-31" so I'd go more for this one within my price range:

http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_502571_langId_-1_categoryId_212377

TBH I never even considered Halfords as I don't think of it as a proper 'bike shop' but I'll have a look there now. Those Boardman's are beautiful bikes. I didn't expect to find such a high spec. bike for the kind of money I'm spending. That's a pleasant surprise :)

Edit: I like pink.(btw:))
    :eek:
    :D
    Both of them bikes look ideal for your type of cycling. From the pictures the lapierre will take mudguards and rack...

Yep, I love the Lapierre.

Although I do like the name of this one and seems to tick all the boxes for you, including hub gears:

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=39&idproduct=32119

Yes! I saw that one, it was the only hub-geared one I thought was acceptable within weight range. It's on the top of my list.

Cube,Giant & Lapierre are good reputable brands so with a bit of TLC you should get good life out of both bikes.

Ah, good to know, thank's ;)
    Bluefoam wrote: »
    You could also look at a charge tap. Sold in cycleways. www.chargebikes.com €660

Oh, missed that one, I'll check it out, ta

Ok thank's guys for all your help :)

Sorry if I got the quoting wrong, first try multi-quoting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

It's also too small. I have long legs for my height-31" so I'd go more for this one within my price range

:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

Its the length of the top tube that counts. You can put the seat up to suit your long legs- the medium frame will be too long imo.

Also worth shopping online for accessories as they are much cheaper usually. I would always spend the budget on the bike and pick up the bits as I go along. Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭Greentopia

:http://www.sheldonbrown.com/frame-sizing.html

Its the length of the top tube that counts. You can put the seat up to suit your long legs- the medium frame will be too long imo.

Thank's for the link. Very informative. Seems like I have a lot more to learn about bikes than I realised :)

Advertisement