Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MUGEN is back

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

I've always been interested but people tell it's ****e. Someone tell me different!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Mugen is less Balanced than SFIV!!1!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Where have you been Farz, it's been back for months.

It isn't exactly ST or 3S, but it's fun to mess around with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

Mugen = AE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Mugen was gone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It was kinda lost for a while, yeah.

Hmm.

Anyone up for a team project?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Mugen is less Balanced than SFIV!!1!

Saying MUGEN is unbalanced is like saying C++ is unbalanced. I hope you realize that.

The biggest problem with the MUGEN scene is that nobody wants to make a game. Yes, that includes the people who are supposedly making games. None of these people want to actually make a game. At best, most of them want to make a character and throw all their ideas into it. Maybe they'll spread those ideas among several characters, but the point remains the same: building a complete game isn't something they're interested in enough to actually do it. This begets "games" which are actually just collections of unrelated characters which haven't been balanced or otherwise designed to fit within the same environment. Some people love collecting these random characters, especially the most over the top (and almost universally terribly designed) characters. Others strive to simply create the most absurd, unfair AI for people to try to beat. There are more examples as well.

All of the above is fine, but none of it is actually making a game.

Look at Fighter Maker 2nd. There are dozens of games of wildly variant quality built on the engine -- Vanguard Princess, Dong Dong Never Die, Wonderful World, (Super)/Strip Fighter IV, Super Cosplay War Ultra, and more. There are people who only convert characters from existing games as well, but it's not nearly as epidemically common as it is with MUGEN. There are complete and tangible results of well polished games being released fairly often on the FM2nd engine, which is very much not the case with MUGEN. The result is that the MUGEN engine itself, and its capabilities, are sold short. People call the engine garbage because creator #7209 doesn't understand alignment or hit velocities, or creator #5877 thought it would be cool to take an existing creation and add things to it without actually understanding what he was doing.

I suppose it's partly the fault of the engine's design for having modular components that are easy to swap around, as well as most of the documentation being character-driven. Nevertheless, MUGEN itself is a great platform on which to build a game, if a person were so inclined. It's pretty easy to learn, is designed in a logical way, is very open-ended while also being structured enough to be easy to follow, and now with recent releases is graphically representative of the current century. I htink it's avery good engine. Having not used it seriously in years, I don't have the programming experience with new versions to break down what its weaknesses are. I just know that its capabilities are abundant.

The only problems I'd have with Mugen are:
    1. I'd have to learn to draw
    2. I'd have to learn to code (a bit)

*edit*
    What I mean is, I'd have no problem planning out systems or anything, it's just that I have NO art skills at all (still scribbling) so it's all technical.
    I'd be like a crap version of David Sirlin, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Placebo wrote: »
    Saying MUGEN is unbalanced is like saying C++ is unbalanced. I hope you realize that.

The biggest problem with the MUGEN scene is that nobody wants to make a game. Yes, that includes the people who are supposedly making games. None of these people want to actually make a game. At best, most of them want to make a character and throw all their ideas into it. Maybe they'll spread those ideas among several characters, but the point remains the same: building a complete game isn't something they're interested in enough to actually do it. This begets "games" which are actually just collections of unrelated characters which haven't been balanced or otherwise designed to fit within the same environment. Some people love collecting these random characters, especially the most over the top (and almost universally terribly designed) characters. Others strive to simply create the most absurd, unfair AI for people to try to beat. There are more examples as well.

All of the above is fine, but none of it is actually making a game.

Look at Fighter Maker 2nd. There are dozens of games of wildly variant quality built on the engine -- Vanguard Princess, Dong Dong Never Die, Wonderful World, (Super)/Strip Fighter IV, Super Cosplay War Ultra, and more. There are people who only convert characters from existing games as well, but it's not nearly as epidemically common as it is with MUGEN. There are complete and tangible results of well polished games being released fairly often on the FM2nd engine, which is very much not the case with MUGEN. The result is that the MUGEN engine itself, and its capabilities, are sold short. People call the engine garbage because creator #7209 doesn't understand alignment or hit velocities, or creator #5877 thought it would be cool to take an existing creation and add things to it without actually understanding what he was doing.

I suppose it's partly the fault of the engine's design for having modular components that are easy to swap around, as well as most of the documentation being character-driven. Nevertheless, MUGEN itself is a great platform on which to build a game, if a person were so inclined. It's pretty easy to learn, is designed in a logical way, is very open-ended while also being structured enough to be easy to follow, and now with recent releases is graphically representative of the current century. I htink it's avery good engine. Having not used it seriously in years, I don't have the programming experience with new versions to break down what its weaknesses are. I just know that its capabilities are abundant.

My cat's breath smells like cat food!!1!

My cat's breath smells like cat food!!1!

nice

FYI to ppl saying mugen was never gone?
    it was discontinued for the past few years, the developers left saying they didnt appreciate the hacks and complaints from their 'fans'

If a single person or team made a game then it may just work,
    i mean look at marvel vs capcom, megaman vs morgan looks like a mugen scene ! lol

• Advertisement

As far as i remember the scene did die, Mugen was always beta and there were crashing problems, memory leak and such issues and most of the character websites were dead/broken links and seemed out dated. The forums were also deserted , im sure one or two youtube videos emerged but that didnt mean the scene was still being followed.

Mugen was great back in the day when consoles were expensive and modding and emulated was at its minimum, with lots of 2d fighting releases and the emulation of cps2, mugen faded.

it would be nice to make a game, but i think making the sprites would be the main pain.

swish, good times lol.

well mugen uses a single file, thing its sff for sprited.
    you get all your sprites as single png files and they are compiled into that

then you can call sff array number to do your animation
    I actually meant drawing sprites if it was a custom game,

otherwise it would be easy as there are ripped sff out there already and we could come up with a custom solid game

street fighter 2:Irish strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

lolwut is that some Dio Brando?

Currently looking at:
    So you want to be a Pixel Artist (pt9) - Making Fighting Game Sprites.

Looks heavy. Will have to get this started slowly, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I'd like to get involved in a Boards Mugen game but I don't know if i have the time. Would be really cool to do.

What's the coding like as I reckon its the only thing I could do.

jesus if we are to make our own sprites, it would be a full time task

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

No point doing it half arsed.

Give ourselves till next year and try to get it together for running a big major.

First major fighting game convention in Ireland also unveils the irish mugen game. Would be great.

i think alpha characters were looking at 200-300 sprites per character.
    Cant remember correctly, either way thats an insane amount of work and we need an artist to do it.

no one wants a kung fu man
    mugen_kung_fu_man.jpg

or we could modify sprites already out there or trace over them
    OR we cud use hitbox videos for sf4 and use those sprites :O

It would take a bit of research, but I'd love to do The Ulster cycle or similar...

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Mugen was never gone, though :confused:

BTW

http://www.elecbyte.com/mugendocs/history.html

scroll down to
    14 April 2002

then next update was 22 Sep 2009

it was gone, for 7 years !

ALSO
    http://shoryuken.com/f177/fighting-game-modding-romhacking-thread-242372/

starting at 20f6f0 in 3s's decrypted 10 file, are frames of sorts in a 24 frame repeating pattern for yun's command throw
    000014B2F30000000000000040000258000000000200000000 00
    looking like those. the 14B2 part is what sprite is used. if you set it to 18b2 you get some dudley frame for example

• Advertisement
Advertisement