Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting cross border

Options
  • 29-05-2010 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

any 1 kno the crack with takin a n.irish licensed gun into the reublic to shoot? have a mete just moved to fermanagh but wants to kno if he can shoot here with me with his gun. i kno he can get a temporary permit but can he shoot with it? cant find nothin on interweb. where can i find irish gun laws?:confused:

thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

any 1 kno the crack with takin a n.irish licensed gun into the reublic to shoot? have a mete just moved to fermanagh but wants to kno if he can shoot here with me with his gun. i kno he can get a temporary permit but can he shoot with it? cant find nothin on interweb. where can i find irish gun laws?:confused:

thanks

European firearms passport he needs, he can get off the PSNI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭jimbrowning

do you kno if that wil allow him to shoot here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

European firearms passport he needs, he can get off the PSNI

He will need a Firearms Certificate issued here also AFAIK ?

http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/Firearm%20Certificate%20Application%20Non%20Resident%20Firearms%20Acts%201925-2009%20as%20amended%5B1%5D.pdf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Bunny has it spot on. A non-resident firearms certificate is required. They are €40 and run for one year from date of issue. A EFP is also required and it must be the original, not a copy. Any hunting licenses must be applied for and gotten before traveling (deer, etc).

Just as a matter of information, a European Firearms Pass is not a license to shoot in other countries nor does it act as a firearms license in any form. It has 2 functions. To allow the local authorities to trace all firearms on the pass and to identify/verify that the firearms in the persons possession are those on the pass.

I think some people are under the impression that if you have a EFP that nothing else is needed or that it is more important than an actual license/permit for the area you intend to shoot in. Its not.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

ezridax wrote: »
    Bunny has it spot on. A non-resident firearms certificate is required. They are €40 and run for one year from date of issue. A EFP is also required and it must be the original, not a copy. Any hunting licenses must be applied for and gotten before traveling (deer, etc).

Just as a matter of information, a European Firearms Pass is not a license to shoot in other countries nor does it act as a firearms license in any form. It has 2 functions. To allow the local authorities to trace all firearms on the pass and to identify/verify that the firearms in the persons possession are those on the pass.

I think some people are under the impression that if you have a EFP that nothing else is needed or that it is more important than an actual license/permit for the area you intend to shoot in. Its not.
    One can not bring the firearm into this country without one, to shoot it you need as Ezridax stated.

I should have said your mate needs both!
    A permit to cross the border, and a permit to fire.

Well spotter Ezri;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

..........I should have said your mate needs both!.......A permit to cross the border, and a permit to fire...........Well spotter Ezri.......

But you didn't :P

You need both, end of !!!!

I spotted it first :P :)

Now where is that shovel I need a hole dug :P

Just as well some of us here know the right advice ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

ezridax wrote: »

With the exception of the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom it is,
    A sports shooter that has been issued a European Firearms Pass
    has been issued it by the licence/ permit authorities in their EU country of origin,
    so they have met/complied with their national legislation requirements.

Once they have an invitation to take part in sport shooting in the country of destination,
    that invitation and the European Firearms Pass is all they require,
    this is how it was intended to be implemented across the entire EU
    Ireland and the UK included.

Dvs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

I know when I go piggy shooting in France all I need is my EFP !! Then all i need to do is buy my local game licence when I get to France.

tfox wrote: »
    I know when I go piggy shooting in France all I need is my EFP !! Then all i need to do is buy my local game licence when I get to France.

A passport is to travel, like a human passport.
    A permit is to work, like a humans visa.

That was always my understanding of the system that was explained to me many years ago.
    My EFP is out of date; and I own none of the firearms listed on it any more.
    I must get an updated one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

In my humble opinion when it comes to crossing the border with the UK your EFP by itself is a worthless piece of paper, but without it you can do nothing :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

thanks

Tell your friend to call into Enniskillen Police Station and ask for the firearms people. They'll happily sort him out for a European Firearms Passport. After that it's the Gardai for a ROI visitor permit. The other way around works exactly the same. EFP from Gardai, visitor permit from PSNI.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Dvs wrote: »
    With the exception of the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom it is...................................................this is how it was intended to be implemented across the entire EU
    Ireland and the UK included.

Thats my point. Try go to the UK, Northern Ireland, etc without the visitors permit or come from there to here without the non-resident firearms certificate and just your EFP and see how you get on.

Intention/intended/meant to does not equate to actuallity. As with the current firearms legislation that was meant/intended to be enacted as a fair and unbiased application of the law with no harm/effect to the legitmate sports shooter. We all seen how well that worked.

It should be an open Europe and as such we should only need the EFP, but until the ROI and the UK fall into place this is not the case. Saying "with the exception of the ROI and UK this is the case" (while mostly true) does not cover all of the EU and therefore my statement that having the EFP only will not suffice holds merit.

I'm not getting into a p***ing match here as to who is the "more" correct, but i still say have an EFP, but carry your licenses with you all the time. As the OP was asking about his mate bringing his own guns into the country and the advice i gave him was correct for this scenario i do not see the need to go further off topic with a long and ultimately pointless debate (here at least, maybe on another thread) about where you can/cannot go with or without a EFP.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement