Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Broadband Dongles

• 29-05-2010 10:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

Anyone using these as their sole BB connection (especially at home here in the city) and how are ye getting on and who are ya with!

Also is there a 3g signal here as apparently they work a lot faster than with 2G which is very slow apparently.

I might have to go down this route!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

one word "CRAP" i used vodafone and could get great signal in some areas and when i moved house could,nt get any and as i was only four months into my contract if i wanted to cancel i had to pay off the remainder even though i could,nt get a signal which was no fault of my own!!! get a landline broadband instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Kinda thought that.....I'm near the Hyper and if the signal comes from the masts on Gracediu would it be worth a chance...have a full phone signal.

I'm worried about outages and slowness due to demand at peak times...did you experience this in good signal areas?

O2 have a free 7 day trial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

DONGLE LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i used get full phone signal but as the mobile bband needs 3g signal to work faster i was,nt gettin that at all where i lived.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Depends on where you are..

My place is over near Ardkeen and I can get a 3G signal in the kitchen but in the sitting room its only EDGE (256k) and thats with O2..

Its very fickle at the best of times, but if you're only doing low end stuff like checking email, booking flights, buying stuff online, etc its not the worst.

Anything more than that, get a landline or through UPC..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

Tbh I wouldnt go with mobile internet. I use it for when at work and it servers its purpose for that. But the signal can be choppy. Working 3 shift I can see the differences between 4pm and 4am use.
    ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Its very fickle at the best of times, but if you're only doing low end stuff like checking email, booking flights, buying stuff online, etc its not the worst.

If this is what your planing to do it should be fine. Its ok for watching youtube sometimes. I also stream eurosport but thats usually after 10pm.

I tried skyplayer and again it worked best after 10pm at night and even then it didnt work well all of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

Found myself in this position in South Kilkenny. Eircom Landline is still not suitable for Broadband nearly drove me mad listening to all that smart economy stuff from government. Tried all the sticks O2 3 and Vodafone. Vodafone was the only one that worked amd it was very patchy in and out 3G while only working in one window in the house. Fitted an external aerial with a 3G repeater and USB router to create a local wifi zone in the house. Now have continuous 3G signal difference is amazing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Mind if I ask what model of 3G repeater you're using?

Was looking at these before, but heard mixed reports about various ones..

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

Andrew MR2118 unit

Advertisement