Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trading DB for Leyland tractor

• 29-05-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

Hi all you tractor enthusiasts, I would like some advise If possible about trading up from a David Brown 885 tractor to a leyland 282. Thats the one with the turbo.The DB is a 1974 model where as the leyland is 1980.My self and the brother went to see one there yesterday.She was in near mint condition with new panels and new clutch among other stuff.We drove her around the yard a bit and the clutch is sweat as a nut and very smooth and the brakes are perfect.You would see there is no comparison with the DB. The only downside is that she is not wired up such as headlights, indicators, rear lights and some of the gauges are not working either.Now I know getting this done is no big deal but that would have to be catered for in the price. Now for the money bit:(, he was asking 4k for her, but is willing to take the DB in exchange.He would take 2200 along with our davy brown. Now is he asking too much for the leyland in the first place and how much are 885s roughly worth.One of the reasons we are trading up is because we sometimes go on tractor runs and the DB is a bit slow for this and are been overtaken all the time and so is not really suited for this and she is rusty a bit such as doors but a good little tractor all the same. He will even delivery it too.Should we bite his hand off or run for the hills?:).Any advise welcome good or bad.

Pics below.

olympus020.jpg

olympus021.jpg

olympus026.jpg
    olympus027.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Forgot to say that she has power steering and hydraulic brakes and clutch I think, oh and synchromesh gearbox.We went to see another one today, a 1970 leyland 383 and she does not have any of those things plus the gears are crunching a bit and a slight vibration from the clutch.The handbrake does not work either and you have to get out to switch her off:eek:.We now know that for the size of the tractor you definitely need power steering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

have you looked at any other tractors than the leyland as they are a bit dated and for 4000 you could buy something a bit fresher.
    your david brown would be worth about 1500 euros if its in good mechanical order but 4000 euros for a leyland is a bit high.

Thanks for that. We were going to look at an International 444 I think but there was a deposit paid on her already.You are probably right about her been dated, but she is modern compared to the DB.See the other problem is that we are restricted by a few things.First we don't have alot of work for her, only runs around the area, and using a bin on her behind so she certainly is not going to be over worked. We don't want to be paying too big money for one or travelling too far to buy one,so typically around 2500.The other thing is we use her in the winter and so would want her to be covered in behind and have indicators etc working,which rules out alot of tractors such as the Massey 135 for instance. She really is a bit big for what we want but its a trade off really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

try offering €1800 with the db

the leyland would not be as realible as the db or the case /IH

don't know the 444 but some of them were slow also which is waht you are trying to get away from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

snowman707 wrote: »
    try offering €1800 with the db

the leyland would not be as realible as the db or the case /IH

don't know the 444 but some of them were slow also which is waht you are trying to get away from.

True the leylands were never the most reliable !!

The 444 were 4 speed and lively on the road, me nieighbour used to have one, waaaaay better tractor than a 135, shame they never caught on better !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 baker turbo

Ford4000 wrote: »
    sorry but this is not ture
    we have had a leyland 272 and 282 for over 15yrs and worked them hard and never gave us a bit of trouble the only think we done to them was service them very year and ther fast on the road the 272 emdarresed many a ford 5610 and massy 675

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Ford4000

sorry but this is not ture
    we have had a leyland 272 and 282 for over 15yrs and worked them hard and never gave us a bit of trouble the only think we done to them was service them very year and ther fast on the road the 272 emdarresed many a ford 5610 and massy 675

Afraid it is true we used to have a 272 aswell and it broke our heart, yes it was fast on the road and a great gripper but the issues with clutch etc were really annoying, my neighbour way back had 2 2100's when he was silage contracting and he said they nearly put him out of business, he was a very carefull operator his brother drove the sister machine they were serviced before it was due always(probably handy when they were in the garage broke down) he only kept them a short while then bought david browns/case's and has never looked back!!

It just shows how a couple of bad experiences in an area can tarnish all future owners, there is not i leyland tractor within ad say 25 miles of where i live, all mf ford and db just shows reliability is the key!!

By the way baker turbo, in your leylands do you find the back end or the gearbox noisy or whiney, i remember ours would bloody deafen u goin downhill, reason i ask is much and all as the old 272 broke our heart i still like the buggers and would have a longing for a nice original 272 syncro. When we had ours i was quite young and all i wanted was a fancy 4wd and i cant remember much of it!!! Da refuses to speak about our old one if u ask him what to look out for he says 'everything' but i know there not that bad. So in your opinion who still has em what would i need to look out for??? i know brakes can be dodgy and water can make its way into the oil, but should the gearbox or back end whine?is this justy the way they are? when you lift something heavy do they groan or rattle?

Speaking of 272s, how similar are these to the 282s?Is it just the turbo, or what? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭dunsandin

Not too sure on the trading "up" bit, more like trading "across".:D
    Wouldn't be a fan of either, though neighbour has both and swears at them. Sorry, by them.
    How about a nice, tidy International? Streets ahead.
    I especially love the way when a leyland blows her hydraulics the hot oil sprays up your back. DB's do have very tough engines. Rest is from antiquity though. If you dig under the bonnet on these two, you could find bits of Viking pottery.

Afraid it is true we used to have a 272 aswell and it broke our heart, yes it was fast on the road and a great gripper but the issues with clutch etc were really annoying, my neighbour way back had 2 2100's when he was silage contracting and he said they nearly put him out of business, he was a very carefull operator his brother drove the sister machine they were serviced before it was due always(probably handy when they were in the garage broke down) he only kept them a short while then bought david browns/case's and has never looked back!!

It just shows how a couple of bad experiences in an area can tarnish all future owners, there is not i leyland tractor within ad say 25 miles of where i live, all mf ford and db just shows reliability is the key!!

By the way baker turbo, in your leylands do you find the back end or the gearbox noisy or whiney, i remember ours would bloody deafen u goin downhill, reason i ask is much and all as the old 272 broke our heart i still like the buggers and would have a longing for a nice original 272 syncro. When we had ours i was quite young and all i wanted was a fancy 4wd and i cant remember much of it!!! Da refuses to speak about our old one if u ask him what to look out for he says 'everything' but i know there not that bad. So in your opinion who still has em what would i need to look out for??? i know brakes can be dodgy and water can make its way into the oil, but should the gearbox or back end whine?is this justy the way they are? when you lift something heavy do they groan or rattle?
    the thing is to look 4 a clean one. if one has been trashed walk away you have the whiny gear box and and a bad lift a well looked after leyland is a great tractor our 272 only whine when you have 6/7 ton on behind :-) and even then it woud not deafen you .all the area i live in is leyland and my unlce has a massy wich as me dad says its not a pach on the leyland . why the oil ends up in the water is becasue of a cracked liner

• Advertisement

jimmyw wrote: »
    Speaking of 272s, how similar are these to the 282s?Is it just the turbo, or what? Thanks.
    282 have a ram on the back to help the left and the clutch is stronger plus they hav a turbo and the later one had a diffrent head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 joshsworld

IH 674, 574? Can pick one up for a reasonable price and pretty reliable machines.

Advertisement