Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MTB upper body strength - what exercises to do? (and not to bother with - me a LSB)

• 29-05-2010 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

Im a lazy son of a beach.

What do I need to do to be a better MTBiker?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Ride you bike more often and faster. As for upper body strength, ever seen a picture of a pro cyclist? There's your answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

worded wrote: »
    What do I need to do to be a better MTBiker?
    Watch more youtube clips

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

Diarmuid wrote: »
    Ride you bike more often and faster. As for upper body strength, ever seen a picture of a pro cyclist? There's your answer
    Upper body of a professional mountain biker:

lopes-280-75.jpg

Get into the weights room!

XC is different of course (the guy above is a 4x/DH pro). The main 'upper' body issue you will have in XC is lower back pain, which you can alleviate with core strength exercises. Building this strength just by riding is going to involve a lot of hurt, so I'd look up some core exercises to do daily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

I remember seeing this image adorn the front cover of a mag in 1998 and the scrawny me thinking I'd a lot to do.

Turns out he was an EPO cheat.

1998.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Julien Absalon is 5foot11 and 68kgs. Doubt much of that 68kgs are triceps/delts/traps

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,657 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I think the OP's needs the upper body strength to help him to carry the bike up the hills when he hasn't enough in his legs to cycle up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

Work on your technique, leg strength and cardio-vascular endurance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

MTB - I thought initially it was all leg muscles and I was so wrong. Ive been biking three weeks, SPDs on the way from chain reaction.

Last ride – at times I was nearly sitting on the back wheel going down hill and also leaning very far forward going up a very steep long hill. I think I need to stretch in future as my lower back is still in pain after that five days later (but lower back its getting slowly better)

Upper body strength – I will get a set of weights.

Advertisement