Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the correct speed for USB2?

• 29-05-2010 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Recently got a 16GB Sandisk Flash Drive from Tescos for €14.98 with the model of it being "SDCZ37-016G". My problem is that it only copies stuff at 5.4 MB/sec as opposed to a speed of 29 MB/sec that I get with a WD Passport drive. I'm wondering is the SanDisk flash drive defective, or is this normal?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Thats normal for a usb key, the fastest You'll get on a usb key is 15MB/sec write and about 30MB/sec read for a super-duper expensive one, this is a cheapo-nasty Tesco one :p
    If You want speed avoid usb.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

USB 3.0 ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

USB 3.0 ftw

Yeah in a year when tech supporting it comes out :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Venom wrote: »
    Yeah in a year when tech supporting it comes out :(
    It has been on mobos for the past few months. Not sure what size flash drives are USB3, though, nor their price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

the_syco wrote: »
    It has been on mobos for the past few months. Not sure what size flash drives are USB3, though, nor their price.

Motherboards and USB 3.0 addon cards are all I can find at the moment and until USB HD enclosures and flashdrives come out it just wont take off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

USB 3.0 ftw

You can have the link between the computer and disk as fast you want but if the disk cannot keep up, what's the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    You can have the link between the computer and disk as fast you want but if the disk cannot keep up, what's the point?

Exactly.

Theoretically USB 2.0 has a max transfer speed of 480mbits/sec (60 MB/sec). Taking into account transfer overhead it's more like ~40MB/sec. This is the max speed the bus supports, but that doesn't mean you're destined to get it. Lots of other factors come into play, the speed of the drive being written to is the most important. The reason I never bought a Tesco 16GB drive was that I figured it's read & write speed was p*ss poor and by the sounds of it I was right.

In future pay more attention to the read & write speeds for flash drives and you'll be fine. External hard drives aren't so hard to get wrong, they all spin fast enough for 40MB/sec ;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

uhu uhu but I have an SSD, so yeah. :)

16GB USB3 sticks are starting at 50 quid by the way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Having a USB 2 interface or USB 3 does not guarantee that a device will transfer data at anywhere close to the theoretical limit of the interface. Manufacturers can put a usb3 interface on a portable floppy drive, but it might even get slower.

The speed of this device is not limited by the USB 2 interface, it's limited by the internals of the key; the choice of flash memory chips, how they are configured and controllers.

There's a pile of Sandisk types, many are faster, but some are around the speed you measured...
    http://usbspeed.nirsoft.net/
    for an idea of how the speed can vary between models.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

uhu uhu but I have an SSD, so yeah. :)

16GB USB3 sticks are starting at 50 quid by the way

http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html

Go on, impress us with the real world Read / Write speed of your SSD.

Have a link to the USB3 Flash disk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Menengroth™

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html

Go on, impress us with the real world Read / Write speed of your SSD.

Have a link to the USB3 Flash disk?

Can everyone play?

15dux08.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭wolfric

maybe one of the mobs could add that nirsoft link to a stickey up the top? (http://usbspeed.nirsoft.net/)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭simoniz

3.0 :)

Advertisement