Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Computer won't power on?

• 29-05-2010 11:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭

Just tried to turn on my main desktop computer there and it won't start. I push the start button and get nothing. No sound or any hint of anything. I have checked all the plugs and they are all working fine. I have checked the power cable to see if it works ok. I plugged it into my printer and it work fine. Everythiing is still plugged into the PSU and its switched on. Switched off for a bit there and back on again, nothing. The computer was working fine last night. Now nothing at all happens when i press the power button. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

do the power lights even turn on?

if the power light does not turn on the outside open up the casing and see if there is a power light showing on the motherboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭Ironbar

If you want to check the PSU remove all cables from mobo and drives and put a paperclip into the green and a black pin on the 24pin plug. then turn on the psu and see if the fan is spinning. If it doesnt its dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Ironbar wrote: »
    If you want to check the PSU remove all cables from mobo and drives and put a paperclip into the green and a black pin on the 24pin plug. then turn on the psu and see if the fan is spinning. If it doesnt its dead.

This is assuming the PSU is an ATX PSU!

Do not do this until you can in fact confirm it's an ATX PSU.

The other thing you could do in the mean time is track back the cables from the power button to the motherboard, remove the cables (but obviously make sure to remember where they go) and then short out the exposed pins to see if the computer will come on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Ya its an ATX PSU. Its a corsair HX620W. I'm a not that sure about sticking a paperclip into and electrical device so I might try and get a PSU tester.

Broken arrow: no lights come on at atll, outside or in.

Does this happen often. PSU's working one minute then broken the next day? Thats whats really annoying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Yeah it could be the case that it works one day and not next. I'd try another PSU from another computer and see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

suppafly wrote: »
    Ya its an ATX PSU. Its a corsair HX620W. I'm a not that sure about sticking a paperclip into and electrical device so I might try and get a PSU tester.

Broken arrow: no lights come on at atll, outside or in.

Does this happen often. PSU's working one minute then broken the next day? Thats whats really annoying

Actually, sticking the paper clip in as suggested by Ironside is the way to go. It's perfectly safe so long as you don't do anything silly like lick it or something. All it will do is trick the PSU into turning on.

Actually, sticking the paper clip in as suggested by Ironside is the way to go. It's perfectly safe so long as you don't do anything silly like lick it or something. All it will do is trick the PSU into turning on.
    Paper clip works alright but under load, the PSU's do fail but then it would probably make some attempt to start. I'd give paper clip a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

Ironbar wrote: »

AFAIK, if you're going to test a PSU in this way, there should always be at least one drive (or mobo) connected up to draw the load.

OP, does sound like a new PSU is called for, but someone else might have further suggestions - a PSU tester would probably not be worth the cost if this is a one-time thing, would be great if you could get your hands on an old system and test with that PSU.

Thanks for all the replies lads appreciate it

Ya i buddy in work had just changed out his PSU so i reckon i can borrow his. I had a look on youtube about the paper clip thing and it looks alright. I'll give it a go tomorrow after work. I post up how i get on with it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭RogerThis

Did you try to reset the RAM chip. Just take them out, give the metal connectors a quick clean with you hand and re-insert it. It often a cause of problems. It would be the first thing I would check.

• Advertisement

By RAM chip do you the RAM modules? If so, then yes, i have removed and then reseated the RAM and no joy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

RogerThis wrote: »
    Did you try to reset the RAM chip. Just take them out, give the metal connectors a quick clean with you hand and re-insert it. It often a cause of problems. It would be the first thing I would check.

That wouldn't make a computer not power up.. If the ram was at fault , the least the computer would do is either beep 3 times continuously or just power on and display nothing.. lights would be on etc.
    Not to offend by the way;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Usually just plugging in the pc(without turning it on) will make the cpu fan twitch, fairly obvious but did you try the fuse in the plug?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭simoniz

case switch might be? have you try switching it ON via motherboard?

simoniz wrote: »
    case switch might be? have you try switching it ON via motherboard?
    Another possibility. You could short the 2 pins where the jumper for the switch connects to. I do it with head of screw driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭simoniz

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Another possibility. You could short the 2 pins where the jumper for the switch connects to. I do it with head of screw driver.
    screw driver is the best tools:)

simoniz wrote: »
    screw driver is the best tools:)
    Multi purpose. Almost as good as the Persuader Tool, the hammer.

Advertisement