Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gastroscopy results...

Options
  • 30-05-2010 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭

I have to have a gastroscopy this week and I'm not nervous about it but I am nervous about the results.

Are you given the results immediately after the procedure ?
    If not is there a long wait for the results ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

The specimens need to be stained, sliced and reviewed by up to 2 pathologists. Then typed, reviewed again and signed off and sent to the requesting doctor.

This can take a few days if very urgent but a couple weeks if longer. Being a good pathologist means you are thorough and careful to examine everything very carefully so a slight delay to allow this is job to be done well is actually a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thank you Dr Indy that's good to know. I asked the Dr but he gave me the usual "wait and see" answer. Strangely enough the secretary told me that they tell you the results immediately after the procedure but what you say makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I had a similar test a few years ago (an endoscopy) and they had the results within two weeks, they were a long two weeks though...its like anything, waiting for results is hard - am waiting on CT results at the moment so you have my sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

chilly wrote: »
    Thank you Dr Indy that's good to know. I asked the Dr but he gave me the usual "wait and see" answer. Strangely enough the secretary told me that they tell you the results immediately after the procedure but what you say makes more sense.
    That is and isn't correct.

They can tell you the results of the visual camera test immediately - if you have a big ulcer or very obvious crohns etc. Pathology results are not as fast. If you have a significant abnormality or even a mild abnormality but they need to give an all clear - then results are delayed as a second opinion is sought to confirm or refute the initial findings.

Minimum time is 24 hours to stain and fix anyway and sometimes additional test are needed for which samples have to be sent to other labs which takes even longer.

Advertisement