Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UFC 114 Live Thread

124»

Comments

With the amount of dodgy decisions in MMA and particularly the UFC would it not be better to introduce a better scoring system?

Brilz-Lil Nog, Shogun-Machida and now they're having an Edgar-Penn rematch, which I don't think Penn deserves, Frankie beat him clean imo. (thats a discussion for another time though)
    Where do they get the Judges from anyway? And how qualified are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

With the amount of dodgy decisions in MMA and particularly the UFC would it not be better to introduce a better scoring system?

I think it should be the last resort, educating the judges and adding alot more clarity to the scoring should be the top priority at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

unknown13 wrote: »
    I think it should be the last resort, educating the judges and adding alot more clarity to the scoring should be the top priority at the moment.

I asked Dana White about that at the Fight Club Q&A in Germany for 99. He said pretty much the same. It's taken so long and is an ongoing battle to get the sport regulated in the US states so to go now and try to revamp the scoring system would be too big a task right now.

He also said that educating judges was the only option right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

One thought that came to mind last night was the position of the judges, do they sit together? Or do they sit alone around the cage?

At one point I saw 2 men in black and white striped shirts sitting side by side during the fight , I assumed they were judges but might not have been.

The thought did cross my my mind though , hey they should be spread arond the cage .

I'd love to know what their point allocation was like. As in, A takedown compared to a headkick. or a punch compared to a transition. I don't think it's divided equally anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

Russow's knockout of Duffee was nothing short of amazing.

Will be interesting too see Rashad vs Shogun for the title.

Also very happy for John Hathaway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Whats the score with Phil Nurse? I thought he got a 2yr ban from the Greasegate fiasco, he was back in Rashad's corner at the weekend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

calex71 wrote: »
    One thought that came to mind last night was the position of the judges, do they sit together? Or do they sit alone around the cage?

At one point I saw 2 men in black and white striped shirts sitting side by side during the fight , I assumed they were judges but might not have been.

The thought did cross my my mind though , hey they should be spread arond the cage .

The guys in black and white are just timekeepers, as far as I know. The judges sit in three different spots around the cage. They really need to be given monitors to watch the fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Jayo_M wrote: »
    I just watched Nog Vs Brilz. I scored the first round 10-9 for Nog, second 10-8 for Brilz and third 10-8 for Nog. Nog was much better on the feet for the first half of the first round and stuffed Brilz takedowns. Brilz didn't do a whole lot when he did get Nog down in the first. The second was a totally different story, other than a couple of sweeps and a brief guillotine from Nog, Brilz was all over him. He pretty much outclassed him in the second. Then the third was a reverse of that. Very strange fight!

Agreed with most of this, i thought Little Nog scraped the 1st round, lost the 2nd round and by far won the 3rd round-overall the right man won imo, i think the fact that Brilz competed when not expected to is making people judge his performance romantically instead of realistically!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

scudzilla wrote: »
    Whats the score with Phil Nurse? I thought he got a 2yr ban from the Greasegate fiasco, he was back in Rashad's corner at the weekend

I don't think he got a ban, they just changed the rules about the numbers who were allowed in the cage between rounds. I'm pretty sure he was in GSP's corner against Hardy too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

cowzerp wrote: »
    i thought Little Nog scraped the 1st round, lost the 2nd round and by far won the 3rd round-overall the right man won imo
    Agreed. I think Nog barely won the first and dominated the 3rd. It was a close call, it wasn't a clear cut win to Brilz. I don't see why people are calling it a bull**** decicsion.
    i think the fact that Brilz competed when not expected to is making people judge his performance romantically instead of realistically!

Yeah, I think it's a case of having such respect for a fighter taking a fight against a dangerous opponent with such short notice. Fair play to Brilz, he put in a great performance and was an absolute gent in defeat.

Also, Rampage was very gracious in defeat too. It was nice to see him humbled in the post fight interview. I was hopoing for him to KO Rashad in the 3rd. Atleast he didn't have too many excuses (ring rust).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭Sean Quagmire

Did anyone notice the look on Joe Rogans face when Goldberg was introducing the main event "The most anticipated fight in UFC history!!".
    Rogan was like WTF are you talking about and was shaking his head. classic.

Fight went exactly as I thought it would. Rampage is terrible when he has prolonged breaks from fighting. Remember when he lost to forrest he said 'never again will I be out for 7 months'. This time it was 14 months so, its quite fitting that he was twice as bad as he was againts forrest.

i see Dampage has started with the excuses, leading up to the fight he was, in his own words, in the best shape of his career, he'd had an awesome training camp, the angriest of his career, no problems at all.

Now he lost he's complaining he had ring rust and hadn't trained properly.

Damn i hate that feckin idiot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Even if he was in the best shape of his life I still think Rashad would beat him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Quick question. How can Rashad Evans have weighted 206 for this fight when the limit is 205 ?

thegoth wrote: »
    Quick question. How can Rashad Evans have weighted 206 for this fight when the limit is 205 ?

You get a 1lb allowance, i'm pretty sure i'm right in saying that some commissions allow 2lb, but it's mainly 1.

Also, if for example, Rashad had come in at 209lb and physically couldn't cut anymore, Dampage would have been asked if he still wanted to take the fight, Rashad would lose 30% of his pay check and i think Dampage would have gotten that.

The most famous case for this was UFC 67 i think, Travis Lutter had won TUF 4, and in doing so the prize was a title shot against Anderson Silva.

Lutter only fails to make weight!!! Therefore he lost 30% of his purse AND the fight went ahead but as a non title fight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭thegoth

Didn't know about the 1lb allowance. Does this apply to boxing too or just MMA ? Its a wonder you dont see more people take advantage of this allowance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jayo_M

It depends on the commission, it's basically giving the fighter the benefit of the doubt when they weigh in that the scale might be a little off. Alot of people do take advantage of it, but in truth one pound probably won't make that much of a difference when getting back to their 'fighting' weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

scudzilla wrote: »
    i see Dampage has started with the excuses, leading up to the fight he was, in his own words, in the best shape of his career, he'd had an awesome training camp, the angriest of his career, no problems at all.

Now he lost he's complaining he had ring rust and hadn't trained properly.

Damn i hate that feckin idiot
    Why do people read so much into this?

He's hardly gonna be going into a fight saying "I havn't been training to well.It's been a long time since I was in the ring so i'll be rusty". Thats just telling your opponent to keep grinding and i'll get tired out(although that was always gonna be rashads plan anyway).

And ring rust can be very deceptive in every sport.You could go as long as you want in training but thats no guarantee you'll do the same when the time comes, especially after a long layoff.

You don't like Rampage but newsflash, every single fighter & sportsman on the planet does the exact same thing!

thegoth wrote: »
    Most commissions will allow a giving of a pound but afaik they wont when it comes to title fights. Pretty sure you have to be on the button for those.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Stuffy

No the 1lb allowance is still valid for a title fight. Its not an allowance for the fighter that he is only a pound over, its to allow for the scales incase they are slightly off.

I have never heard of a commision that gives 2 lbs over tbh.

Stuffy wrote: »
    No the 1lb allowance is still valid for a title fight. Its not an allowance for the fighter that he is only a pound over, its to allow for the scales incase they are slightly off.

You sure? Most references I can find state theres a 1lb allowance for non-title fights only (although finding references for these references is a bollox)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

No allowence for title fights.

No allowence for title fights.

and in Florida

Oh right apologies about that Ultimate_Chin.

I was aware that the allowance was for the scales not for the fighter, so how can they justify the scales being off for 9 weigh-ins but by main event weigh-ins they are perfect? (which they usually are)

I'm sure it is just to contain any legal loopholes and whatnot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

Everyone is given the 1lb difference apart from title fights. Everyone else just weighed in on the button or below

Mike Kyle was given a 2lb allowance when he replaced Chris Wilson at UFC 98 because he was a late replacement the commission gave him a 2lb allowance

Mike Kyle was given a 2lb allowance when he replaced Chris Wilson at UFC 98 because he was a late replacement the commission gave him a 2lb allowance

Late replacement is justified I suppose but Paul Daley didn't get it when he nearly collapsed against Hazelett before the weigh-in.

Google is the job aswell ;)

Late replacement is justified I suppose but Paul Daley didn't get it when he nearly collapsed against Hazelett before the weigh-in.

Google is the job aswell ;)

The commission refused to let him cut the extra weight because they felt that would do him harm.

• Advertisement

The commission refused to let him cut the extra weight because they felt that would do him harm.

I know that and they were dead right but my point is there is no 2 lbs allowance only in very rare cases as the one you have mentioned, i.e if Pile wasn't a late replacement he would not have been given a 2 lbs allowance so no commision actually allows 2 lbs over, it is only in certain instances.

The 2lb allowance is only used in special cases and is not allowed in regular cases. The 1lb allowance is the only allowance the commision allowance allows in normal cases.

Advertisement