Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japan vs England

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ITV sport poses controversial question? Shirley not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I have to say both Lampard and gerrard push to far up when they play in the middle and it's going to be hard for two seasoned players to change there habits now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

mike65 wrote: »

i don't mind a bit of controversial questioning, but when he starts asking questions about Capello's future just before the WC, it's f*cking moronic.

it's like they're looking to de-stabilise the team half the time.

also, trying to coax Capello into revealing the 23 looked very amateur altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

hahah the stadium graphics showing D.Brent was subbed off... so thats what he did after managing in Slough :pac:

David Brent would probably be good enough for England too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Victor McDade

mike65 wrote: »

128829258575318996.jpg

Couldn't resist it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

If I was an England fan I'd be worried about the constant tinkering of the team. You would think Capello would know what his best system and line-up is at this stage. I thought England were lucky to get the result. Still think they will come through their group comfortably, but it seems a good while since Rooney scored.

Japan were more comfortable on the ball than I expected. Felt sorry for their keeper who had a good game and was beaten by two O.G.s. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

They looked much better when J.Cole was playing of Rooney, gave Japan more to think about and his runs movement created space for the midfield and Rooney.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

If I was an England fan I'd be worried about the constant tinkering of the team. You would think Capello would know what his best system and line-up is at this stage. I thought England were lucky to get the result. Still think they will come through their group comfortably, but it seems a good while since Rooney scored.

He does know his best team and system. He has said he knows 20 of his 23 players for South Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Melion wrote: »
    He does know his best team and system. He has said he knows 20 of his 23 players for South Africa.

He said he knows all 23 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

This is a very poor England squad. A lot of fairly average players and a few world class players (Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard). They look weak at the back and they haven't found a partner for Wayne Rooney. Will probably bow out at the quarter-final stage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Im sure if 20 of us were to guess his starting 11, injury free. At least 19 of us would get 10 or 11 of the players and positions right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭gibson

Capello obviously likes Walcott on the right and although he isnt really doing the biz atm he ddid score a hattrick in crotia during the qualifiers and in doing so cement his starting role in Capellos eyes there and then. Capello however also likes Lennon who imo is more deserving of being in the team atm so is trying him out on the left to see if both can be accomodated since Lennon has played there before for Spurs. With Walcott already having played the majoritty of the last match however i would expect Johnson on for 20mins to stake a claim for his place on the plane as lennon (who could be considered competition to backup Gerrard if he plays left wing dependant on how capello views his performance) moves to RW.

Unfortunately tho Theo's living on past performances. He was brilliant against Croatia but his performance today summed up his entire season, he looks like he almost gets scared when he has the ball, doesnt know what to do so just tries to run anywhere then 9 times out of 10 puts in a very poor cross. Glad to hear hes working with Beckham on his crosses though, no better teacher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Melion wrote: »

He might know the players he wants to use but I'm not sure he knows his preferred system. I don't see why he's contemplating a 3-5-2 system at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

He might know the players he wants to use but I'm not sure he knows his preferred system. I don't see why he's contemplating a 3-5-2 system at this point.

I think this may be mainly contingency planning for if there is an injury to Glen Johnson or Cashley as the backup full backs options are pretty poor (Carra, Warnock, Baines) especially when you compare them to the other top teams. Also in a game situation if England are chasing a game - bring on a 3rd CB and give Cashley and GJ a lot more license to get further forward. Those are pretty much the only times I could see 3-5-2 being used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think this may be mainly contingency planning for if there is an injury to Glen Johnson or Cashley as the backup full backs options are pretty poor (Carra, Warnock, Baines) especially when you compare them to the other top teams. Also in a game situation if England are chasing a game - bring on a 3rd CB and give Cashley and GJ a lot more license to get further forward. Those are pretty much the only times I could see 3-5-2 being used.
    I'd be pretty certain that the reason he is considering it is that he doesn't want to use Rooney on his own up front, he is losing out on too many goalscoring opportunities by having Rooney on his own.

Heskey in the lineup brings goals, his very presence will mean more chances for Rooney, Lampard and Gerrard.

When you think about it, England could get dominated in midfield if they only play 4 there so adding in a 5th midfielder is one option but that leaves only 3 at the back.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I think he worked out his best system in qualifying and will revert to it but in the friendlies he wanted to try out plan Bs such as Gerrard behind Rooney (apparently done a lot in training) or this 3-5-2

As said i think most of us can pretty much pick Capellos starters if all are fit.

.........................James

Johnson...Ferdinand.....Terry.....Cole

Walcott....Lampard.....Barry....Gerrard

..............Rooney.....Defoe*

* defoe may not start, like in qualifiers he may come on at around the hour mark for Heskey or Crouch.

J.Cole to be LM cover
    Lennon to be RM cover
    Milner to be CM cover and backup cover for the wings

Carragher to be backup for Johnson (and Kings fitness issues as CB cover)
    Baines to be backup for Cole
    King to be backup for CB

Hart & Green to go

thats 21 players to start with with one more DF and Midfielder to come from the following afaic:

Dawson, Warnock, upson, A.Johnson, SWP, Huddelstone, Carrick, Parker & Bent

id probably take Dawson & Huddelstone or Parker given the choice and positional need but wouldent be surprised to see Upson & Carrick round out the squad due to England experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I think he worked out his best system in qualifying and will revert to it but in the friendlies he wanted to try out plan Bs such as Gerrard behind Rooney (apparently done a lot in training) or this 3-5-2

As said i think most of us can pretty much pick Capellos starters if all are fit.

.........................James

Johnson...Ferdinand.....Terry.....Cole

Walcott....Lampard.....Barry....Gerrard

..............Rooney.....Defoe*

* defoe may not start, like in qualifiers he may come on at around the hour mark for Heskey or Crouch.

J.Cole to be LM cover
    Lennon to be RM cover
    Milner to be CM cover and backup cover for the wings

Carragher to be backup for Johnson (and Kings fitness issues as CB cover)
    Baines to be backup for Cole
    King to be backup for CB

Hart & Green to go

thats 21 players to start with with one more DF and Midfielder to come from the following afaic:

Dawson, Warnock, upson, A.Johnson, SWP, Huddelstone, Carrick, Parker & Bent

id probably take Dawson & Huddelstone or Parker given the choice and positional need but wouldent be surprised to see Upson & Carrick round out the squad due to England experience.

I'm pretty sure Green is ahead of James, Lennon ahead of Walcott and Crouch/Heskey ahead of Defoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I think Lennon will start ahead of wallcott and could see milner in at lm if Barry isn't fit so that lampard and gerrard are in the middle

I'm sure Barry will be fit, might miss just one game at most.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

JPA wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Green is ahead of James, Lennon ahead of Walcott and Crouch/Heskey ahead of Defoe.

well yeah maybe but i was more about who would be left out of the 23 man squad and all those will be included imo (and i did mention defoe would possible be just a impact sub for Heskey/Crouch a la like in the qualifiers. Barry will supposidly be back for the Algeria game which is a good time for him to get a run and match fitness before later games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I believe this was the main purpose of the two friendlies, and I believe the performance of players in training will have done as much as their performance in game time to affect their chances of making the cut, hence why he gave certain players no time on the pitch as he has already made his mind up about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Don't see this England team going beyond the now all-too-familiar QF stage. They don't look the full unit!

Hargreaves absence and Carrick's huge dip in confidence (more for club) may prove to be the crucial factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

While I wouldn't buy into the hype beforehand I also wouldn't write them off based on that kind of friendly. England aren't all that great but yet they are one of several teams that could go deep if things start to gel. Nothing changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

I agree the lack of a quality holding midfielder is a huge factor. Barry is rated very doubtful and besides was he a holding midfielder at Villa and now at City?
    Alan Shearer had no holding midfielder in his proposed 23 man squad :rolleyes:
    Think he said Milner could do the job!!!:o

Englands biggest asset is Capello.
    He's the key to any success.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

That OG guy who was so prolific for United this season fully deserves his international call up after his two goal performance today.:pac:

Advertisement