Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a backpack please

• 30-05-2010 7:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭

I currently ride with one of the Crumpler Dhardlys in extra large size:

HAR-002.jpg

It's massive and have used it for at least 2 years, but usually has to carry quite a bit. Too much clearly as I'm having probs with my shoulder and back as a result. It probably doesn't help that the second strap is missing. So I need a good sized backpack that i can use to commute (big enough to carry clothes and some shopping) and also do day long spins without my back being drenched in sweat. I've been checking out Deuters, but wondering if anyone can recommend a specific Deuters bag or any other decent sized bag to fit the bill? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Have you considered panniers? Why would you carry a backpack on a day long ride?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

As Blorg says I would not carry stuff on my person for more than a short spin unless my name was Matt Talbot.

I think something like this might be my next purchase.
    http://www.in-sy.de/main/R_111.htm?0
    http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=RrzKj&page_id=70621&v=U3

All the convenience of a rucksack and no achy sweaty back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

how about one of these - it even has a bottle opener:

Minoura_18540-4.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

I currently ride with one of the Crumpler Dhardlys in extra large size:

HAR-002.jpg

It's massive and have used it for at least 2 years, but usually has to carry quite a bit. Too much clearly as I'm having probs with my shoulder and back as a result. It probably doesn't help that the second strap is missing. So I need a good sized backpack that i can use to commute (big enough to carry clothes and some shopping) and also do day long spins without my back being drenched in sweat. I've been checking out Deuters, but wondering if anyone can recommend a specific Deuters bag or any other decent sized bag to fit the bill? Thanks

I have 2 different Deuters bags and find them excellent for commuting and like yourslf I also collect some shopping when returning from work so I use the following one:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/deuter/cross-bike-ec011769?query=deuter

I still also have to carry a shopping bag with it, but usually only 3 or 4km. The other one is 10L and I only use when I have nothing to collect.

However as mentiond you should consider panniers if your worried about sweat as no bagpack will prevent sweating, I shower each day in work so don't worry about that. I tried the pannier option and didn't like the overall weight of the rack and bags so went back to the bagpack after a few months. My commute is 11 kms each way, if any longer then 15 I'd return to the panniers option.

You also mention long day rides, panniers would be more suitable again for this type of riding. I've done the long day trip with the bagpack and its not pleasant.

Advertisement