Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading bow on beginner violin outfit?

Options
  • 30-05-2010 9:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

I am an adult beginner on the violin (playing about 6 months).

When I started I just went for the "gimme the cheapest one you have" option, costing about 150 all in but from a reputable luthier in Dublin as recommended.

Anyway I would love to upgrade something if I could at the moment. Not the violin because I think the next step up will cost quite a bit but was wondering about upgrading the bow. Will I get any benefit with a better bow if I could spend about 150 on it or would there be no point?

Any thoughts?

Im at grade 2 standard on the violin.

Comments

You'd probably find it a lot easier to do a lot more with a better bow yes so have a look at getting a better one. Ask your teacher for advice also? Are you having any trouble with any aspects in particular

• Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭PoleStar

Thanks for the reply

Any recommendations in particular for bow or where to buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I got a carbon fibre bow for 90eur in Piggotts (I think) in 08.
    It's very light which is nice, but I'm thinking now I need something heavier. But it's done me for the last year, going from grade 2 to grade 3/4 ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

PoleStar wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply

Any recommendations in particular for bow or where to buy?

any decent fiddle shop :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Fatgoogle

I dont play violin, double bass man myself, but yes a good bow makes learning alot easier.
    The carbon fibre bows are veryy good on a budget for a better bow. i got mine for 150 from china and its amazing, my teacher was very impressed. I dont know if Yita music make violin ones but check them on ebay and they might. Get the top model though.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice

My budget is around 100 to 150 euro. Can you get a half decent bow for that?

Carbon fibre is probably the only way to go at that price.

Is a bow a type of thing that is ok to order online and get shipped? Seems like a delicate item to ship.

Also, whats a good carbon fibre bow to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

what make is the starter kit that you bought? I'm a violin teacher and most of the better kits have decent enough bows with them...The benifits of a better violin/bow increase as you improve at the instrument. At Grade 2, the bowing isn't really difficult enough to justify spending any extra money on a bow(unless what you have is truly awful) I would offer to have a look at it for you but I suspect you are in Dublin and I'm based in the South East.

Assuming it is a half decent kit that you bought, the best improvement you can possibly make is to replace the cheap strings that it (probably) came with.€30 - €40 on a decent set of strings will make a world of difference to the sound you make and make the whole experience far more rewarding.

If there is anything else you would like help with just shout!

Thanks for your reply!

I am not sure of the make but I got it in a reputable store in Dublin (Crehan's) and when I got it, they gave it to me with an upgraded set of strings.

I think I might replace the strings though as you advise, any good internet suppliers?

Thanks for your reply!

I am not sure of the make but I got it in a reputable store in Dublin (Crehan's) and when I got it, they gave it to me with an upgraded set of strings.

I think I might replace the strings though as you advise, any good internet suppliers?

No problem at all. Before you go changing strings check the make(look through the left hand f-hole just under the bridge, there should be a sticker in there somewhere). Next have a look just below the bridge where the strings are threaded into the adjusters, there may be some colours on the strings and might give me some clue as to what's on it already.

I generally use www.stringmail.co.uk. Without playing your violin it's hard to know of it's exact needs but these tend to be a very good middle of the road string that suit most instruments.

Thanks for the advice.

I had actually come across that website in my searches and read recommendations about those stings but then got confused when hearing about I should get a silver wound D, a different E etc.

Whats the best combo?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice.

I had actually come across that website in my searches and read recommendations about those stings but then got confused when hearing about I should get a silver wound D, a different E etc.

Whats the best combo?

Sorry about the delayed reply, I was away for a while! Anyway, I wouldn't bother with a gold e string or anything yet, you won't really notice the difference so I would save your money. Any joy finding out the name of the violin yet?

Advertisement