Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best & Cheapest zoom lens for Nikon D3000?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The cheapest zoom lens you will probably get is the Kit Lens which came with the camera. This would probably be the 18-55mm VR lens.

The lens you have linked to would be fine as a longer zoom, but as it's in Hong Kong you will have to pay VAT & fees on it, which would not make it that cheap.

If that is the range & speed you are looking for then maybe have a look on Adverts.ie for a similar lens secondhand.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i picked one of those lenses up (the APO one with the motor - there's a version without a motor, but you'd want the one with the motor) for €210 in dublin.

the one you linked to is a canon mount, btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

CabanSail wrote: »
    The cheapest zoom lens you will probably get is the Kit Lens which came with the camera. This would probably be the 18-55mm VR lens.

The lens you have linked to would be fine as a longer zoom, but as it's in Hong Kong you will have to pay VAT & fees on it, which would not make it that cheap.

If that is the range & speed you are looking for then maybe have a look on Adverts.ie for a similar lens secondhand.

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I have the 18-55mm VR lens lens, I'm just looking for an added zoom level. You are quite right re: the fees - the average shipping is $79! before anything else!

I was just wondering what budget lens are available and where's the best spot to buy pricewise! I will investigate the adverts option as a first avenue though - thanks!

i picked one of those lenses up (the APO one with the motor - there's a version without a motor, but you'd want the one with the motor) for €210 in dublin.

the one you linked to is a canon mount, btw.

I'm new to all things SLR! - what the difference between the motor/without motor? thanks...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the D3000 doesn't have a focus motor built into the body, whereas most nikon bodies do - thus, most affordable nikon lenses don't have focus motors in them - which means they would be manual focus only on your camera.
    sigma have a motorised and a non-motorised version of that lens as a result, depending on what nikon you have.
    it quite confusingly means there are four versions, between APO and non-APO, and motorised and non-motorised. the APO motorised version is the most expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Not the cheapest...but the best bang for your buck would be the Nikon 70-300mm VR (Vibration Reduction). This will work fine on your camera body. You may be able to pick up a decent secondhand example for ~€300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭charybdis

Good.
    Cheap.
    Zoom.

Choose two.

Thanks all - Much apprecaited!

I had a quick butchers on Adverts - Any thoughts on these - Some may be older!

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=229705

http://www.adverts.ie/215260/lenses/nikon-af-s-dx-zoom-nikkor-55-200-mm-f-4-56-g-ed-lens-in-black/

Please excuse if these are bogey choices - I'm new to all this!

EDIT: Don't see a lot of 70-300mm VR around the €300 mark.

charybdis wrote: »
    Good.
    Cheap.
    Zoom.

Choose two.

:D

Considering this is a non-professional purchase, just a hobby kinda thing, the important point would be ease of use for me - There must be non-Nikon lenses that will provide a good job for less buck...? My assumption being Nikon will be significantly more than spurious models!

You've heard the saying......"Buy cheap, Pay twice".

We've probably all been there. Just had a look on Adverts and the last couple of 70-300VR's sold for around €320, so I wasn't too far off the mark. Trust me...this lens is perfect for an amateur or pro alike. Fast,quiet focusing and very sharp images. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 sylvesterallein

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/741934/art/sigma/70-300-mm-f4-5-6-dg-macro.html

We just bought this one a couple of weeks ago, it works well.

You can see some of the pics here:
    www.flickr.com/photos/LordLoafer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Currys have NIKON AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 55-200 mm f/4-5.6 G ED Lens in black for €169, Pixmania have the same for €325. Seems a good lenses but no VR

I picked one up in Galway yesterday and this is the result

6C599077C61B41B8A9601646B3990C4A-160.jpg

Join Ireland Weather Network

Thanks again for the advice guys - what do you recon of this one for €150?

No VR though -

http://www.adverts.ie/215260

sticker wrote: »
    Thanks again for the advice guys - what do you recon of this one for €150?

No VR though -

http://www.adverts.ie/215260

Not much of a deal @ €150 considering thecivvie has mentioned above that you can pick one up brand new for 20 yoyos more.

Nforce wrote: »
    Not much of a deal @ €150 considering thecivvie has mentioned above that you can pick one up brand new for 20 yoyos more.

:rolleyes: Oops! Sorry, my bad! thanks...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There are a lot of very very good shots that have been taken on lenses without VR, also without AF for that matter. Now both are nice to have but then so is a Ferrari, but we cannot all afford everything we want.

If you have limited funds, as seems the case, and you do need the extra reach, then look for the best glass without the gadgets. Used well these will reward you with some great photographs. Nikon really do not produce bad lenses. There are quite a few older ones about & I have seen the 70-300 f4 - f5.6 G being sold for around the €70 mark. It will work fine with your D3000 but is not a VR lens. I have one here I bought with my D70s but am giving to my Brother in Law rather than take back to Australia with me (how I will fit the rest in I don't know) but it worked fine for me before I could afford to get faster glass with VR. It still would except I am spoiled. It is a good lens, but not one of their best, but still great value for money.

Below is a shot taken with that lens, long before I knew much about PP, so fairly much straight from the camera.

aDSC_7037-resized.jpg

CabanSail wrote: »
    There are a lot of very very good shots that have been taken on lenses without VR, also without AF for that matter. Now both are nice to have but then so is a Ferrari, but we cannot all afford everything we want.

If you have limited funds, as seems the case, and you do need the extra reach, then look for the best glass without the gadgets. Used well these will reward you with some great photographs. Nikon really do not produce bad lenses. There are quite a few older ones about & I have seen the 70-300 f4 - f5.6 G being sold for around the €70 mark. It will work fine with your D3000 but is not a VR lens. I have one here I bought with my D70s but am giving to my Brother in Law rather than take back to Australia with me (how I will fit the rest in I don't know) but it worked fine for me before I could afford to get faster glass with VR. It still would except I am spoiled. It is a good lens, but not one of their best, but still great value for money.

Below is a shot taken with that lens, long before I knew much about PP, so fairly much straight from the camera.

aDSC_7037-resized.jpg

Sorry for the delay getting back to you CabanSail - many thanks for the advise - great image by the way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I ordered the AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR DX from here last night for €155 brand new.

http://simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=762

I ordered the AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6 VR DX from here last night for €155 brand new.

http://simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=762

Many Thanks Tin Foil Hat -

Anyone think this might be the one to go for?! Looks pretty good (with VR built in!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Simplyelectronics has some... mixed reviews online...

here and here as well as here advise a large amount of 'buyer beware'

• Advertisement

Simplyelectronics has some... mixed reviews online...

here and here as well as here advise a large amount of 'buyer beware'

Ouch! Glad I didn't go for an impulse buy! Many thanks TinyExplosions!

Ouch indeed!
    A long few days coming up methinks.:mad:

ring your CC company and inform them of the purchase and see if they can pull it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭ozymandius

Conns had a couple of pre-owned Nikkor AF-S 55-200 NON-VR lenses last week. Priced at 100 - 150 I think. Cheap and cheerful zoom with a bit of warranty.

I tried to cancel this order, but they sent it out anyway. Delivery is from Hong Kong, which was not made clear on their website.
    So,
    a) I'm probably getting a 'grey' import and
    b) I may be stung for VAT and import duty.

A sneaky dishonest company. Keep well away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

just spotted this on pixmania, seems like a good price and has vr
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/536785/art/nikon/af-s-dx-vr-zoom-nikkor-55.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I was going to go for that one but decided that I prefered €60 in my pocket and went for the one with VR at Currys.

Join Ireland Weather Network

Advertisement