Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30yrs old - First Bike!!

• 30-05-2010 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

In short, I want to buy a bike that I will do my test on and keep for a couple of years before getting something bigger, probably a 600cc.

I've got a car so this will not be used for every day travel.

The options so far are:

1) Honda CBR 125R @ only €2,800 this is by far the best value
    2) Yamaha YZF R125 €4,495
    3) Kawasaki Ninja 250cc €5,250 (Insurance depending)

What do people out there recommend?

I've just got the category A provisional. Is it true if I pass the test in the A category on a 125cc, then I can only ride 125's? I thought if I passed in the A category even on a 125cc that I could buy any size bike after 2 years.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Sids Not

Deffo the Ninja for me...........;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

It's gotta be the Ninja, and they're bang on the 33bhp limit so the most power you can have without getting a restricted bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

KamiKazi wrote: »
    It's gotta be the Ninja, and they're bang on the 33bhp limit so the most power you can have without getting a restricted bike.

Have you ever ridden one? Is it slow as hell like the 125's?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭agrostar

A buddy of mine did his bike test on a Virago 125 and passed no bother:). Only problem was he had ticked the wrong box on the application form and only got a full licence for upto 125. He had to fill out another application form and resit the exact same test again needless to say he was less than impressed:D:D:D If i was you id prob get the likes of a Honda r Yamaha, Suzuki and Krapawaki:mad: are troublesome enough in the smaller sizes. The likes of a Honda cb400(bulletproof):) or a Yamaha XJR400 would be better for a learner rider good reliable machines and there is plenty of torque to keep you amused as you get better and more confident on the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

If you want a bike you can keep for a few years and do your test on, consider a second hand 600 like a bandit, hornet, SV, ER-6 or a CB 400, zzr400. They can all be restricted for around €300 or you could look for a factory restricted model.

At 30 insurance shouldn't be too bad esp if you do training and get an assessment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

agrostar wrote: »
    Only problem was he had ticked the wrong box on the application form and only got a full licence for upto 125.

I've heard of someone else doing this also. If you do the test on a 125 but tick the "A" category does that mean 2 yrs later you can drive whatever you want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

pureirish wrote: »
    I've heard of someone else doing this also. If you do the test on a 125 but tick the "A" category does that mean 2 yrs later you can drive whatever you want?

I think you're confusing the 33Bhp limit restriction for 2 years after you've passed your test (and for the time up to your test) with the difference between an A and A1 license.

A - Motorcycles over 125cc
    A1 - Motorcycles with an engine size of 51-125cc and/or a speed capability of over 45km/h and with a power rating not exceeding 11 kW

If you do the test on a 125cc, you get an A1 license, and you're stuck with 125cc or below, you can't get a higher cc, unless you sit the test for A, with a bike over 125cc. (Though it appears the requirement is a bike of 150cc, I assume there are bikes between 125cc and 150cc ?)

Open to correction on the above.

Edit: The 33Bhp restriction means the bike you have must put out 33Bhp or below (you can get bigger cc bikes restricted to this), and you're stuck with that for two years after you pass your test.

From MSA Ireland:
    The ‘A’ is Learner Permit from 18 years of age for motorcycles, with or without a sidecar, subject to a power limit before the Driving Test and for 2 years afterwards of 25Kw/34bhp. or a power to weight ratio of less than 0.16kW per kg) – the restriction continuing for two years after taking out a full licence in that category. However, at a cost, virtually any bike can have its power reduced to come within these limits.

The Driving Test must be taken on a motorcycle over 125cc. This is the first-choice motorcycle licence.

The ‘A1’ Learner Permit is available from 16 years of age, but will restrict the holder to motorcycles of 50cc to 125cc and a 11Kw/14.5bhp limit. Even if you pass the ‘125’ Driving Test, when you up-grade to a bike over 125cc you will need an ‘A’ licence provisional, a second ‘test’ on a bike over 150cc, and endure all restrictions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I am confused, as I plan to take a few lessons whats the best option for a bike (engine size) where I don't have to sit the test a second time if I end up upgrading?
    a bike that is greater than 125 can be less than 25kw so whats the point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

No you would be stuck on 125 for good.
    Merch wrote: »
    I am confused, as I plan to take a few lessons whats the best option for a bike (engine size) where I don't have to sit the test a second time if I end up upgrading?

It needs to be bigger than 125cc, so realistically you need to look for a 250cc - 600cc starting off.
    Obviously need to be restricted to 33Bhp, any bike can be restricted.

You can always get a 125 and rent a bigger bike for some lessons and the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

A bike 150cc or bigger, and you'll be fine.

If you're doing lessons on school bikes they'll will probably be CB250s or 600ish cc bikes restricted to 33Bhp, so they're fine for the test too.

The 25kW is a restriction - the bike can't be over that, but it can be under it no problem, as long as it's 150cc. (Why 150cc, when the requirement is just to be over 125cc?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I was in a similar position a few years ago and got a BMW F650 (CS version) It had ABS brakes and a belt drive rather than a chain. all in it was a great bike and available in a restricted version. This means when you have your licence for two years you can remove the restrictor.

Really liked that bike I suppose its a bit like your first girlfriend after time you just remember the nice bits.

Cionn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

In short, I want to buy a bike that I will do my test on and keep for a couple of years before getting something bigger, probably a 600cc.

I've got a car so this will not be used for every day travel.

The options so far are:

1) Honda CBR 125R @ only €2,800 this is by far the best value
    2) Yamaha YZF R125 €4,495
    3) Kawasaki Ninja 250cc €5,250 (Insurance depending)

What do people out there recommend?

I've just got the category A provisional. Is it true if I pass the test in the A category on a 125cc, then I can only ride 125's? I thought if I passed in the A category even on a 125cc that I could buy any size bike after 2 years.

to be honest buddy I wouldn't touch anything smaller than a 250, you'll be bored of it within a matter of weeks... you should take a look at suzuki bandits 600's or a suzuki sv650, yes they are big bikes but they wont pull yer arms off... You'll have to get it restricted but this will only cost 250 quid... and the insurance would be about the same as the smaller bikes...

You'll be just wasting money on anything else cause I'd put money on it that you'll be moving up in the CC's fairly soon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

jameshayes wrote: »
    to be honest buddy I wouldn't touch anything smaller than a 250, you'll be bored of it within a matter of weeks... you should take a look at suzuki bandits 600's or a suzuki sv650, yes they are big bikes but they wont pull yer arms off... You'll have to get it restricted but this will only cost 250 quid... and the insurance would be about the same as the smaller bikes...

You'll be just wasting money on anything else cause I'd put money on it that you'll be moving up in the CC's fairly soon...
    Well I agree in toatl regarding 125, but a Bandit 600 or SV650 woudl be waaay too heavy for a newbie to start with.

Start on a 250, 125 will bore you pretty quick. I started on a 250. At the time I was a bit apprehensive but I would have been apprehensive on a 125 anyway. Believe me, 125 is too little. What will you go to from 125, 250 probably, when instead if you start from 250 for 6 months or a year, you can then go on to 400/500/600 cc easy enough. With a 125 your only introducing a hurdle before you move onto something bigger, you'll regret it.

And I cann't imagine the insurance been so greatly different on 125 to a 250. Best of luck regardless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

SlabMurphy wrote: »
    Well I agree in toatl regarding 125, but a Bandit 600 or SV650 woudl be waaay too heavy for a newbie to start with.

Start on a 250, 125 will bore you pretty quick. I started on a 250. At the time I was a bit apprehensive but I would have been apprehensive on a 125 anyway. Believe me, 125 is too little. What will you go to from 125, 250 probably, when instead if you start from 250 for 6 months or a year, you can then go on to 400/500/600 cc easy enough. With a 125 your only introducing a hurdle before you move onto something bigger, you'll regret it.

And I cann't imagine the insurance been so greatly different on 125 to a 250. Best of luck regardless.

I started on a 650cc. Nothing wrong with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I started on a 650cc. Nothing wrong with it.

I've said this a good few times here, so sorry for repeating myself but at twenty six, I started on a restricted bandit 600 and after maybe four months, I moved over to a restricted GSX1400.

Ain't no thang if you're properly trained.

cantdecide wrote: »
    I've said this a good few times here, so sorry for repeating myself but at twenty six, I started on a restricted bandit 600 and after maybe four months, I moved over to a restricted GSX1400.

Ain't no thang if you're properly trained.

Until you drop it and don't expect it to be such a heavy fvcker when picking it back up :pac:

I'm planning to take some lessons first, I'm sure this has come up before but any pointers on who to go with (dublin)
    No bike, just want to try first, then take a bunch of lessons

opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Merch wrote: »
    I'm planning to take some lessons first, I'm sure this has come up before but any pointers on who to go with (dublin)
    No bike, just want to try first, then take a bunch of lessons

opinions?

David Lyons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

Until you drop it and don't expect it to be such a heavy fvcker when picking it back up :pac:
    Exactly. And for the newbie I would have thought to err on the side of caution would be good advice as their probably people of average ability like everyone else, unlike some of the people on the thread.......

Look at the comparable weight of bikes though. My GSX was only marginally heavier than my bandit. I did my day's training with a slight seventeen yr old girl- she probably would struggle to pick any bike up but that shouldn't stop her learning to ride?.
    My point is simple- every new biker should get the bike that's right for them. You won't be a learner for all that long. I passed my test after 7 months and not because I'm a class bloke...

• Advertisement

the weight of the bike nor the strenght of the rider really matters when you're lifting a bike, if you know how to do it...

I've seen/heard that name mentioned before, I'll look into that, just need to check if he rents bikes too, think I'll be going for a 250 now from what I've heard, I'm sure that guy is great but any other recomendations? I'm on the south side.

the weight of the bike nor the strenght of the rider really matters when you're lifting a bike, if you know how to do it...

Looks easy on a flat level surface with a rubber mat for grip, might not work so well in the real world. Looks like a light enough bike as well.

Looks easy on a flat level surface with a rubber mat for grip, might not work so well in the real world. Looks like a light enough bike as well.

I don't have sound here so ignore this if they've mentioned it but I think if it fell on the 'wrong' side, the only solution must be find a bus stop.

I had to do it with a heavy bike with a bus full of people looking at me on a main road, got it up without a problem... it's amazing how easy it is to lift a bike like that... I'm not strong by any means, i'm barely 6 foot and about 11 stone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I started a few months ago with my first bike. I got a restricted bandit 600.
    Personally i had no problems, sure its front heavy but since it was my first bike that was fine since i had no comparison.Enen restricted it has loads of power in it to keep things fun :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

Yeah, I remember seeing this method on a TV program I saw years ago. They were teaching NYC motorcycle cops. Their patrol bikes are Harley's (heavy bikes) - chosen because of their ability to make tight turns. Anyway, this method of lifting the bike was being taught to the rookies as part of their induction course. Useful info ... probably should be taught as part of rider training here in Ireland????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

cantdecide wrote: »
    I don't have sound here so ignore this if they've mentioned it but I think if it fell on the 'wrong' side, the only solution must be find a bus stop.

You're lucky you didn't have sound, you didn't have to listen to that whiney voice ;)

Had to laugh though, first thing to check was that you were not in an incline/decline. So, if you are going to drop your bike make sure it is on a flat surface :D

RosieJoe wrote: »
    You're lucky you didn't have sound, you didn't have to listen to that whiney voice ;)

Had to laugh though, first thing to check was that you were not in an incline/decline. So, if you are going to drop your bike make sure it is on a flat surface :D

And don't forget to turn the handlebars to the right before dropping it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Mate of mine did his test on a ZZR600 with no restriction.

Advertisement