Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Runegal - 10k Dunfanaghy, Donegal - 6 June

Options
  • 30-05-2010 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭

Anyone else doing this? Am in the area for the bank holiday, so will pop along and have a go. Tough climb for first few km and then downhill from there.

€25. Not exactly the cheapest race, but will reserve judgment until post-event.....

http://www.runireland.com/events/2010-06-06/run-egal-10k

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Athmosphere, Value, Organisation 2 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    50%
    Silent Rain 1 vote
    3 stars (average)
    50%
    Peckham 1 vote
    2 stars (poor)
    0%
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 adib

Hi,
    I'm actually involved in organising the race, and it should be a good day out. A few of us ran the course a couple of weeks back and it is a great run - its a challenge and the views are stunning.

We've got baggage drop, showers, food, t-shirt, goodie bag and BBQ after in a local pub. So, I hope after the event you'll find it value for money!

Hope to see you on the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

3 stars (average)
    Thanks for coming on the thread adib - will be giving my honest feedback here next week. Let's hope the race does justice to the stunning location!

Keep an eye out for me in the Boards AC singlet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 coill100

I am also in that area for the weekend.
    Thinking about getting the runners on and giving it a go,
    I know that area quite well, it should be a good run.
    The run to the top of Horn Head is quite steep but the upside is that its downhill after that!!!!!
    Will keep an eye out for the boards ac top as you run past.
    Lets hope the weather is good over the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 adib

lads, hope to see you both at registration. I'll be behind the desk. You can register now at www.multisport.ie. Registration is available Saturday if your in the area 7pm to 9pm in th Carrig Rua Hotel to give you a lie in on Sunday.

Otherwise, its 8am - 9.30 on Sunday.

Here's hoping I've a decent show prepared for you lads.

Looking forward to it now - fingers crossed for the weather!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Silent Rain

4 stars (good)
    Just thought I'd drop a quick note about this race, as I enjoyed it a lot. Don't think there was a chance of anybody hitting a PB with those 1st few little hills... The views around the middle patch though made the slog seem a bit more worthwhile. Anyway congrats to Adib for the organisation. Hope it becomes a regular feature, as its a nice change from the regular flat 10k.

• Advertisement

Also enjoyed the event.
    As a drove over last Sat morning, the weather looked quite mixed.
    Then the sun started to shine ( A LOT!!!!! :eek: ) which made the horn head that little bit more difficult.
    A good number of people there, about 150 a heard them say, which is a good turn out for a first run. The drinks and fruit at the end were great.
    Overall i would say a well run 10k, looking forward to next years.
    Fair play to Aidrian and all the gang.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

3 stars (average)
    Am still struggling to walk today. Very, very stiff after my charge up and down Horn Head on Sunday morning. I thought I was in good shape, clearly not for these mountain style events!

Time: 42:35 (8th position)...well chuffed with that!
    I forgot my Garmin, so I don't have splits or any GPS outputs

An excellent event, and hopefully one that becomes an annual feature - although am not sure how pleasurable it would be to do this run on a windy and/or wet day! Am also glad I didn't drive the route the day beforehand as I would have been more inclined to have a lie in if I'd seen it in advance.

Except for being distracted by the stunning scenery, the race was pretty uneventful for me. Was in 10th position from the start, and then passed two lads on the first hill who had gone out too quickly. Held that 8th place for the remainder of the race. Narrowed a bit on the guy ahead of me in the latter stages as I tried to hold off the guy behind me (but I ended up with a 50m gap both behind and in front of me).

Route was pretty much 1k flat, followed by 4k mostly uphill (with some seriously steep segments), and then an enjoyable 5k downhill (again with some seriously steep segments!). Water at the 4.5k mark but I was struggling so hard to breath at that stage, that I couldn't take on more than a sip of water.

Was hurting hard in the latter stages due to the course profile and severity of some of the uphill/downhill segments.

Water was greatly appreciated at the end, however I only heard about the sandwiches when Mrs Peckham arrived back to our weekend accomodation a short while after me.

Briefly visited the post-race BBQ, despite losing my patience with the free bus service that I later heard departed 1.5 hours after scheduled (but as pointed out to me by two different people - that's 3pm "Donegal time").

Overall, good value race (although that's assuming that about a third of my race fee has gone to Donegal Hospice). T-shirt is an excellent quality.

Zero PB potential on this course. How the winner ran 36:30ish is a mystery to me!

Well done Adrian on organising a great race....particularly as (I think) this was your first event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Anyone have results for this year's race?

As with Peckham (2010), I forgot my garmin. Was the 1 race that I would have liked to have seen the output.

On a flat course I'd run 44 for 10K. I'd be surprised if I was better than 54 on this. Disheartening to see people start to walk after 1.5K. Even more so when you're barely able to go quicker than them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I'm resurrecting a really old thread because I did this race last weekend. I'd really recommend it! Not a fast 10k by any means (quite the reverse), it was more like a hill run -- 5k up to the top of Horn Head, then 5k (mostly - there were undulations) down the other side. It was well organised, there was a barbecue and music after, and most people hung around for a while despite the drizzle. Really great end to my holiday in Donegal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement