Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ for a year

Options
  • 30-05-2010 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭

Hi,

I am interested in going to new zealand for a year but too old for the work holiday visa,would i fall into any other visa categories? :) I have a degree in I.T but only started working in this field recently if that helps...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Check out the immigration nz website
    www.immigration.govt.nz
    IT professionals may be in demand there..you will have to check the lists on the website. Your options may include applying for perm residency, get sponsored by an employer or I do believe there is another visa option called BUNAC.... google is your best option. You'll have to do a bit of digging.
    There is a new visa called the Silver Fern that was recently issued..allows 300 people into the country for 2 years and you have that time to find suitable relevant employment. This year was the first time and it wa sold out within half an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭clarelad

looks like id need a minimum of 3 years work experience

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Unfortunately, that is a problem that faces a lot of people. Maybe check out that BUNAC option. I don't know much about it but it was mentioned here before. The WHV would be the best option..then get sponsored by an employer but as you said you're overage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

What kind of IT do you do? How much work expereince? You might pick up a helpdesk or tech support role somewhere that can then sponsor your work permit. By sponsor I mean they'll say they cant find a kiwi to do your job and you'll get in under the skilled work permit. The job market is quite tight right now though.

Only real way to find out would be to come here with enough cash to last you a few months and a ticket home if possible. Then you could interview face to face. No real point in applying from overseas without a visa in hand unless your amazingly specialized.

Also, Wait till Summer/Autumn. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr...........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Are you eligible for a WHV? If so just get that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

jank wrote: »
    Are you eligible for a WHV? If so just get that.

You didn't read his post then? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Chet Zar wrote: »
    You didn't read his post then? :)

Yikkess:o:o

Advertisement