Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hit & miss

• 30-05-2010 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭

heres a question for the pro's , how do you consistently shoot images of high quality ?

I find some days I have it , and other days I'm just flat - last week I was shooting something for someone and it just didn't work , last night i was at Chic and it just worked - for me anyway

http://pix.ie/thebaz/album/378121

DE8C23AF77214C7E8CF05D4A6289FBC7-800.jpg

3B389A0F47374BE78A8BFC66F908CF42-800.jpg

maybe its this lack of consistency why i could never earn my living from photography , perhaps its maybe better to let things happen naturally the good and the bad - but I wonder what happens if you are flat at a wedding you are getting paid for -

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

That second shot is cool.

I don't think anyone is consistently good though. I always just my progress with photography with the **** to good ratio. When I come home and check out all my pics, sometimes I'll have 1 good "keeper" shot out of 20 - sometimes less, sometimes more. For me at least the only way around it is to take 20 times more shots than I think I need - then I'm guaranteed a few keepers at the end.

I have noticed that the ratio is getting better over time so it's not like you'll have the problem permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Study and become more technically proficient. Understanding why an image works or not is invaluable knowledge IMO. For the days when your artistic flare is not flowing, at least you can fall back on technically ability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Practice makes perfect, I worked at a show on Friday and shot three pictures per competitor for about 8 hours. I know the camera inside out and have a lot of experience in difficult conditions which imo helps my keeper rate. From the shot out of all the shots I took only about 2 shots a bit off.

Love the second shot Barry

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Promac wrote: »
    For me at least the only way around it is to take 20 times more shots than I think I need - then I'm guaranteed a few keepers at the end.

I used to do that for gigs, now i do the opposite, its all bout getting things down, spot on, fully manual, focus and settings, and you cant really fail. with gig theres the element of interaction, but you gotta listen as well as watch for the right shot I find

I keep shot amounts down to a minimum too, lift the camera three times for three shots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,721 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Borderfox wrote: »
    I keep shot amounts down to a minimum too, lift the camera three times for three shots

i try not to shoot too much either -its like the challenge - the problem i have is looking at things - sometimes i look at people whether a band or a person or a couple - and they just look bland - a week later i can look at the same person , and they look special and thats what i want to photograph , but for me that unfortunatly possible all the time - when i fake it they tend to look bland - maybe thats the key to professionalism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Yeah, the ultimate goal is to hit the shutter button knowing I've got the shot I want. I'm still learning my camera though - still re-learning photography in general after a 15 year gap and moving from film to digital. It's amazing how much you forget.

I'm more like 5:1 these days though so I'm getting there. Slowly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Sometimes, particularly at live gigs, you have to accept defeat at the time and come back to it in PP later on. - You can't beat a neon blue light in the venue really, but you can REALLY clean it up at home:

4653423207_26cd91da42.jpg

4622433649_d71e0e5749.jpg

Photoshop is vital, imo. You obviously need to get sharp shots first, but you can do wonders at a later stage!

A lot of the hit part comes from picking up the camera and knowing that I will be happy with what comes out of the camera (and the customer too) I shoot a lot of jpeg and all of these will go for sale direct to the public with minimal pp (crop/sharpen)

Advertisement