Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chemistry Redox Mandatory Exp.

Options
  • 30-05-2010 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

Well it's the final countdown and I'm giving the entire chemistry my second last revision. While I was looking at the list of mandatory I noticed "Studying Redox reactions". I have no memory whatsoever of doing this at school o_O. I read it but there's so many chem equations to learn (well a few). I can't find any exam paper questions relating to this in the past 8 years. So, I'm just wondering what I need to learn for this experiment?

All the equations, chemical names, and observations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

Are you referring to the redox reactions of the halogens?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

H2student wrote: »
    Well it's the final countdown and I'm giving the entire chemistry my second last revision. While I was looking at the list of mandatory I noticed "Studying Redox reactions". I have no memory whatsoever of doing this at school o_O. I read it but there's so many chem equations to learn (well a few). I can't find any exam paper questions relating to this in the past 8 years. So, I'm just wondering what I need to learn for this experiment?

All the equations, chemical names, and observations?
    It's bleach, the water ones and maybe potassium permanganate, not sure of the last.

Redox just means that oxidation and reduction occurs in the experiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

I think s/he is referring to the ones where you put, say, zinc and copper together and see what happens. There are 8 of them. You have to learn them. They've never come up before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

zam wrote: »
    I think s/he is referring to the ones where you put, say, zinc and copper together and see what happens. There are 8 of them. You have to learn them. They've never come up before.
    That's displacement of metals and they're not too bad to learn at all. You might remember in school...just placing pieces of zinc in copper sulphate and watching it corrode, then write the reaction. It's quite easy to do without learning, just replace the Zn with the Cu (in CuSO4...hence the name, DISPLACEMENT of metals).

Zn + CuSO4 = ZnSO4 + Cu

To write the half equation just leave out the SO4 (as it is a spectator ion) and make sure you write in the ions left over.

Redox titrations are a different story then, and there's not many of them learn, but they're abit of a pain. You don't have to learn the equations for the redox titrations, they're given on the paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭H2student

yeah I'm talking about the displacement of metals, thanks for the tips.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

H2student wrote: »
    yeah I'm talking about the displacement of metals, thanks for the tips.

It's never come up but I'd imagine if it did you would be given a description of a couple of the reactions and asked about the redox reactions that take place and maybe asked to provide a couple of equations. This is a type of question that benefits from understanding than learning off. Elements higher up a group in the periodic table will displace the ones lower down F>Cl>Br>I and this can be seen from their electronegativities.

This will probably also help if you're stuck :)

Pretty Sally Could Marry A Zulu In Lovely Honolulu Causing Many Strange Gazes.

Potassium, Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, Aluminium, Zinc, Iron, Tin, Lead, Hydrogen, Copper, Mercury, Silver, Gold.

Zinc is more reactive than Copper and will displace it.

It's never come up but I'd imagine if it did you would be given a description of a couple of the reactions and asked about the redox reactions that take place and maybe asked to provide a couple of equations. This is a type of question that benefits from understanding than learning off. Elements higher up a group in the periodic table will displace the ones lower down F>Cl>Br>I and this can be seen from their electronegativities.

This will probably also help if you're stuck :)

Pretty Sally Could Marry A Zulu In Lovely Honolulu Causing Many Strange Gazes.

Potassium, Sodium, Calcium, Magnesium, Aluminium, Zinc, Iron, Tin, Lead, Hydrogen, Copper, Mercury, Silver, Gold.

Zinc is more reactive than Copper and will displace it.
    Are they the electrochemistry mini-experiments?

theowen wrote: »
    Are they the electrochemistry mini-experiments?

No they are in the Oxidation Reduction section. If you are using Chemistry Live as your textbook they are in Chapter 14

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Well in the Institute notes a lot of it is in the Electrochemistry section...

It all makes sense now!

• Advertisement

Not everyone goes to the Institute. In the syllabus it is under Oxidation and Reduction

Not everyone goes to the Institute. In the syllabus it is under Oxidation and Reduction
    I think he was refering to me because I do/did go there.

Advertisement