Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

netbooks - seen any good value?

Options
  • 30-05-2010 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

as above, looking for a new computer.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

love the site,

Stock: Plenty

what is Microsoft Windows CE?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Good god don't touch that with a barge poll! Seriously it's the biggest piece of crap i've seen and not cheap either. Windows CE is a mobile version of windows, you cannot run regular windows apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

CJhaughey wrote: »

Screen res will be a huge problem with that steer clear

I've a samsung NC10, bought it from laptopsdirect
    Bought it as a recondition as it was returned with the box inserts missing, nothing wrong with it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I know feck all about netbooks, sorry. I know that for me the only thing going for netbooks is their size/portability. For connectivity and everything else I prefer laptops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

CJhaughey wrote: »

Personally I'd go with an ASUS. You can find plenty online or in Bricks & Mortar stores (e.g. PC World/Currys) for under €300. Should come with Windows 7 pre-installed.

Great brand and nice kit.

Try googling this : Asus EeePC 1001PX 10/N450/1/250/ W7s Zw €299 in Komplett.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭selephonic

Be careful though, most of these Windows 7 ones will have "Starter edition" which has some limitations. You can always install Linux later though. I'd recommend trying to get an XP version if you can find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭IRCA

selephonic wrote: »
    Be careful though, most of these Windows 7 ones will have "Starter edition" which has some limitations. You can always install Linux later though. I'd recommend trying to get an XP version if you can find it.

Good point re: Windows 7, though for most netbook users the Starter version would probably suffice - open to intense correction on that no doubt :)

Re: XP - I agree that it is a great stable OS, but it is going End of Life so on-going support could be tricky - but at least it's not Vista :eek:

Thanks for the useful comments though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

this is a thread i started in the computers forum: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66152455#post66152455

the toshiba comes with XP, would this be the best buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭aubhall

If interested you can get an Lenovo(ibm) thinkpad x60s 12 inch for around 200 on ebay.

Its as light as a netbook without sacrificing the screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

aubhall wrote: »
    If interested you can get an Lenovo(ibm) thinkpad x60s 12 inch for around 200 on ebay.

Its as light as a netbook without sacrificing the screen.

Do you have a link ?

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Do you have a link ?

link

Advertisement