Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First car?

• 30-05-2010 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Im new to this and just looking for opinions on a first car. I am close to buying a 00 corolla vvti for €2300, but it has 168000 miles on it!!!...is this too much? I know it would be hard to re-sell after a few years with 200k on it!...just looking for opinions, and other ideas and links to cars for sale...preferrably a colt, mirage, corolla, glanza s...they would need to be under €2300

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

I guess it depends on the spec, but that seems veeeeery expensive for a ten year old Corolla.

Do you have a link to the ad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭antocann

to be honest first car, get a banger , more than likey your gona have a few bumps in it ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Same As

Hi OP,

Was in a similar boat to yourself a few years ago, finding cars with high mileage for what seems a good price. Some cars can handle high mileage, however I think that 160K+ is excessive for a Corolla, even if they are regarded as a generally reliable motor.

My first car was a Mitsubishi Colt, grand car had no problems with it at all and didnt cost me all that much to insure under my own name. Of course, it goes without saying that when buying a car you should get it thoroughly checked out by a mechanic and even consider doing a backround check on the vehicle on a website like cartell.ie or something similar.

You are buying at a good time and could come across a nice bargain for €2300, just a matter of patience!

Best of luck with the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭corolla 1991

Thanks for the comments.

chris--- im buying it locally so he hasnt it on the internet yet. its a tidy car with decent alloys and a TTE spoiler. It is very expensive, so I think im gone off the idea.

antocann---its my first car but ive a year driving experience on my parents car so im looking for something decent, even though with some of the prices im seeing a banger is looking like a likely option!

sameas---ya I think patience is going to be a virtue!!:mad: but hopefully ill come across something. Id love a tidy colt, but just like corollas they seem just as over-priced for what they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

a fiesta makes a good first car IMO. Mine practically (and literally on one icy occasion :P ) drives itself. Ive replaced the fiesta as my normal usage car now but I cant bring myself to scrap it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Give it a good home - sell it to the OP! :D

haha ya there fine wagons them fiestas!:p...just looking for something a bit sporter and faster!

-Chris- wrote: »
    Give it a good home - sell it to the OP! :D
    Ah I would - I need to do my test in it first though :P

Will probably put it on adverts after that (mid june) and see if theres any interest. NCT'd, running everyday and never given me a spot of bother (bar routine service,oil change, and a couple of body dints - to be expected on a 14 year old car!)
    haha ya there fine wagons them fiestas!...just looking for something a bit sporter and faster!

See your point there, fiesta is great around town etc but she gets a bit "vibratey" over 100 kmh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,271 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Toyota/Corolla/1.9-DIES/201020198038396/advert?channel=CARS

how bout this one? Great price, diesel to boot, lower mileage and new NCT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Civic was the first thing that came to my mind, this could be got for your budget

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201020198019417

This is what I'd get

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201021198149553

I started driving at 19 and got the same insurance quote on 1.4 Civics as I did on 1L Micras

ya im not sure about civic insurance, but i dont really like them anyway.
    I am going to view this car http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1331879 1.4 vvti 120k miles, and shel let it go cheaper...what do ye think of it?

Nice looking car dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index...01019197933225 looks like a good car, I might look into it.
    I believe "GS" is a UK trim level, so you may want to check its history (or just assumed it's clocked). Also, the grille badge is AWOL :)
    I wouldn't be into that body kit, cheap looking alloys and low-profile tyres, but whatever floats your boat. That single crappy photo isn't doing it any favours, but the panel gap between the right headlamp and bonnet looks dodgy...

How much will it set you back to insure the Corolla?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Im not to interested in civics as insurance is expensive because of the 'boy-racer' status they have!
    Im only really interested in a 2door corolla, i probably should have specified that, sorry!

Have you gotten some quotes for the 1.4 Corolla? I wouldn't necessarily assume they don't have some kind of loading too, lots of people like to modify them. I have one (a Silver 3dr) and Im paying 1400 TPFT with Aviva (Haven't done ignition test yet though, that was one of the cheapest quotes I got) Im 20 btw.

That navy one looks lowered, then you have the non standard alloys and different front bumper.. All of which may increase insurance. Just something to bear in mind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

get a peugeot 306 diesel hdi. very nippy and sporty enough for young males.

THREAD CLOSED!...I bought a tdi bora yesterday!...thankfully went off the idea of a corolla, really over-priced with high mileage!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

THREAD CLOSED!...I bought a tdi bora yesterday!...thankfully went off the idea of a corolla, really over-priced with high mileage!

Cool,Best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement