Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharwood's Mild Curry Powder

Options
  • 30-05-2010 1:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

I cannot find this product anywhere. It appears to have been replaced by a paste which tastes nothing like the powder! However, I looked up their website and it appears it's still on the market. I was going to contact them, but I was put off by having to give my full address in order to do so!

I would like to know - has anybody seen this product anywhere around the midlands or Dublin?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Hi Kelle, I had the same problem was devestated as I thought it had gone off the market...but spotted it yesterday in Superquinn it has been repackaged & now has a yellow label so I barely spotted it! Can't wait to make my Rogan Josh again

• Registered Users Posts: 65,494 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anything I've ever used from Sharwood's was worse than mediocre to put it diplomatically (3-4 out of 10). If you want ready made, use any of the Patak range of pastes instead (6-7 out of 10). With part home made, part Patak, I've found I can even bring it on to pretty good (7-8 out of 10)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭line6

unkel wrote: »
    Anything I've ever used from Sharwood's was worse than mediocre to put it diplomatically (3-4 out of 10). If you want ready made, use any of the Patak range of pastes instead (6-7 out of 10). With part home made, part Patak, I've found I can even bring it on to pretty good (7-8 out of 10)

i second that - take a look a look at the list of ingredients on the packet of sharwoods curry powders - it will make your toes curl

i have been making curries for several decades and nothing beats the whole spices, fresh, dry roasted in your frying pan before grinding in a mortar and pestle

chuck the mix in to your frying onions and you will be in heaven

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

If you head to you local Asian market (there is a good one on Drury Street in Dublin - the street parallel to George's St. - thoughtfully called the Asian marked) you will get massive bags of various spices for considerably less than the premium you are paying top brand products like Sharwood's. In short, you get more, it's cheaper and you can tweak the blend to your heart's content.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,455 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

if you can find a stockist of 'Green saffron' spices, they're from cork. Then you're on a winner. Unbelievable flavour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

line6 wrote: »
    i second that - take a look a look at the list of ingredients on the packet of sharwoods curry powders - it will make your toes curl

Having just read the ingredients, what exactly on it makes your toes curl? Genuinely interested by the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I'd forgotten about this thread - i still have had no luck getting this paste! Typhoon, I'll try to locate a Superquinn's.

Unkel, the paste is revolting!

Line6, i've read the ingredients on that particular curry powder - nothing toe-curling!

Thanks for your posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've read the ingredients and while there is nothing terrible in there, the third ingredient is salt and it is bulked out with rice flour.

Seriously, try making a curry from whole, ground spices.
    The difference in flavour is astounding - you'll never go back to Sharwood's again!
    I thought I didn't really like curry until I had a proper homemade one!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,494 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

kelle wrote: »
    Unkel, the paste is revolting!

Which paste?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ernie999

kelle wrote: »
    I cannot find this product anywhere. It appears to have been replaced by a paste which tastes nothing like the powder! However, I looked up their website and it appears it's still on the market. I was going to contact them, but I was put off by having to give my full address in order to do so!

I would like to know - has anybody seen this product anywhere around the midlands or Dublin?

probably a bit late in replying but i have seen it lately in Dunnes, i always have a look round the spices and stuff keeping an eye out for Sharwoods Tandoori powder,that is as good as any restaurant/take away its delicious!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement