Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's Campaign for Fluoride-Free Water

Options
  • 30-05-2010 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

How safe do you think your drinking water is where you live?
    Do you feel the need to buy bottled water?
    Do you filter your water before drinking from the tap?
    Fluoride-Free Water does not believe it is safe to drink tap water in Ireland which has been fluoridated.
    Why not? We believe that drinking the chemicals used in fluoridation is an unecessary risk to health. According to the Department of Health and Children report, Forum on Fluoridation Ireland 2002, "Roughly 50% of an absorbed amount of fluoride will be excreted in the urine during the following 24 hours and most of the remainder will become associated with calcified tissue (bones and teeth)." Among the agents listed on page 192 of the report by the Department of Health and Children are Arsenic, Mercury, Chromium, Lead, Nickel, Silicon, Fluoride (Hydro Fluoro Silicic Acid – H2SiF6). Currently, 71% of the public water supplies in the Republic of Ireland contain these agents.
    We are a non-profit, independent, campaign group who believe that the policy of water fluoridation is very harmful to people, animals, and aquatic life; and that it also damages our environment and is totally unethical, and illegal. The agent, Hydro Fluoro Silicic Acid (H2SiF6), in water fluoridation is a listed poison under Irish Poisons Act 1982, First Schedule, Part 11 (SI 188).
    Most of Europe does not fluoridate its drinking water for health, legal and environmental reasons, as you can see below.
    Impact of Dental Fluorosis on your teeth

Dental fluorosis is tooth enamel damage for life. This damage is clearly seen in the photographs of dental fluorosis shown on this page. Promoters of water fluoridation knew in advance that at least 10% of children would be affected with this condition under the water fluoridation policy. Children, their parents and guardians, did not get a chance to refuse water fluoridation and avoid this damage. Help us protect future generations from this damage by saying NO to water fluoridation today.

ental fluorosis or mottled teeth are structurally weak, and when decay does set in, the result is often disastrous (Ref: Drs. M.C. and H.V. Smith, American Journal of Public Health 1940). Various Fluoride Levels in Europe

Below you will find some quotes from the representatives of various national authorities on levels of water fluoridation in their respective countries. In many cases you can click either on the flag or name of country for further details.
    Data from Dr. Paul Connett the CEO of the Fluoride Action Network web site.
    Republic of Ireland

Flag_Republic_of_Ireland.png 71% water fluoridation.
    United Kingdom and Northern Ireland

Flag_Northern_Ireland.gif Northern Ireland: No fluoridation.

Flag_Scotland.png Scotland: No fluoridation.

Flag_Wales.png Wales: No fluoridation.

Flag_England.png England: 10% water fluoridation.

Various Other European Countries

Flag_Austria.png Austria: No fluoridation – "toxic fluorides have never been added to the public water supplies in Austria." (17th February 2000).

Flag_Belgium.png Belgium: No fluoridation.

Flag_Czech_Republic.png Czech Republic: No fluoridation – "since 1993 drinking water has not been treated with fluoride in public water supplies throughout the Czech Republic. Reasons:
    1. Uneconomical
    2. Unecological
    3. Unethical
    4. Toxicologically and physiologically debatable"

Flag_Denmark.jpg Denmark: No fluoridation – "toxic fluorides have never been added to the public water supplies." (22nd December 1999)

Flag_Finland.png Finland: No fluoridation. One city, Kuopio, stopped in 1992.

Flag_France.gif France: No fluoridation – "fluoride chemicals are not included in the list of chemicals for drinking water treatment. This is due to ethical as well as medical considerations." (25th August 2000)

Flag_Germany.gif Germany: No fluoridation – "Generally in Germany fluoridation of drinking water is forbidden." (16th September 1999)

Flag_Luxembourg.gif Luxembourg: No fluoridation – "Fluoride has never been added to the public water supplies in Luxembourg."

Flag_Holland.gif Holland: No fluoridation. It was rejected in 1976.

Flag_Norway.jpg Norway: No fluoridation. It was rejected in 1975.

Spain: 3% water fluoridation.

Sweden: No fluoridation – "Nobel Medical Institute recommended against fluoridation. It is banned since 1971."

Switzerland: No fluoridation.

We ask for your help to stop this now.
    We support other environmental groups including:
    OUR MISSION

We want to end harmful water fluoridation in Ireland forever for health, legal and environmental reasons.
    OUR SERVICE

We will share information on dangers of fluoridation from books, websites, and online videos.
    HEALTH

Water fluoridation is known to cause Dental Fluorosis. Dental fluorosis is tooth enamel damage for life. The Department of Health & Children published pictures of dental fluorosis in the Forum on Fluoridation Ireland 2002 Report. Dental fluorosis is irreversible damage to children's teeth. This damage was known to be a high risk by promoters of water fluoridation from the start, and no one told the children. The children and their families had a right to say NO to this damage, a right which has been denied to them since 1963.
    We believe mandatory water fluoridation is an unreasonable health risk to our children and it is unconscionable to deny them their right to say no.
    LEGAL

Harmful fluorides in tap water are a poison and they damage both teeth and soft tissue and bone. It is illegal to force anyone to take a poison without their knowledge or informed consent. You can say 'no' to a poison, and this is known in law as your right to 'personal bodily integrity'.
    We believe you always retain that right, and that it is violated by compulsory water fluoridation.
    ENVIRONMENT

The Irish environment has been flooded with toxic fluorides from water fluoridation since 1964. Only 1% of water usage is drinking. The remaining 99% is also fluoridated and this seeps out into the rivers, lakes and groundwater affecting the delicate ecosystem for over forty years. Overdosing has been noted by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) in many areas in Ireland in their Water Quality Reports.
    We believe information on the toxic risks of agents used in water fluoridation, which impact on general health and the environment, was not adequately released to the public since water fluoridation began in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Christ, of all the ****e going on in Ireland between, bank/developer bail outs-NAMA, politicians expenses, negative equity, the inadequate monster that is the HSE etc.. and you bring up this ****e!

fcuk off and get a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭byrner51

digzy dont be such an a**hole this is a public forum people can bring up any issues they want regardless of what else is going on.

the issue hes bringing up is actually a very serious one and i gurantee in a few years time alot of people in ireland will be more aware of it.

the evidence that fluoride is bad in drinking water is there and the fact that most of europe dont use it shows this.

i have a filtered tap in my house and most people i know only drink bottled water.

so fair play to the OP more and more people need to become aware of this subject and the circumstances surrounding it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Spirit of time

digzy wrote: »
    Christ, of all the ****e going on in Ireland between, bank/developer bail outs-NAMA, politicians expenses, negative equity, the inadequate monster that is the HSE etc.. and you bring up this ****e!

fcuk off and get a life.

Are you for real you ****ing waster?

What about your health?

Ignorant knob head,typical paddy of 2010...more concerned with wealth than health!

Thanks byrner51

Honestly this is for people to digest and stand up against the system.

A lot of people make money from selling these chemicals that's why they are reluctant to change like Europe.

All by design,part of dumbing down the public which as you can see from earlier comment is working!

Take care and spread the word!

I hope dentists take more serous as opposed to their yearly salary and cowardly silence!

what is the fluoride concentration in the water?? maybe you'd be better off finding this out before you accuse me of being ignorant! Get yourself a science degree.

i'll put it in simple terms for the dumbos:
    if you drink a few pints of beer you might get a bit drunk.
    if you drink 30 pints you'll poison yourself .

of course fluoride will cause damage if you ingest enough of it. The same applies to anything. Read all those fascinating studies that use a concentration of .8 ppm as their test level.

As i said, i'm not concerned if it's removed from water. but if you've health concerns about what we ingest i'd suggest "not on the label" by felicity lawrence rather than posting a load of waffle and a few flags.

Think your silly campaign would be better off concentrating on the bacterial contamination of our water supply-Just ask any of those people in galway last year who had to get their water from the back of a lorry.

• Advertisement

Concentrate??..Is that supposed to make me feel better??

I bet your getting paid to bull**** on this site!

Honestly,do you ingest toothpaste???...No!

You ingest water!

The point I'm making is there is no choice....

What do most women mix their babies bottle with???...Tap water!...

People do not have a choice,

I really think you have an agenda,otherwise your not the sharpest tool in the garden shed.

Yeah, Damn right i've an agenda. Public health. there's enough evidence available to suggest the benefits of fluoride in water to dental health in the correct concentration.

If I was worried about my pocket i'd be backing you-more dental decay more work for me.

Anyway i'm bored of you now-no more posts from me on this one. i've done my best to educate you and relieve you of some of your ignorance:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Nuravictus

digzy wrote: »
    Yeah, Damn right i've an agenda. Public health. there's enough evidence available to suggest the benefits of fluoride in water to dental health in the correct concentration.

If I was worried about my pocket i'd be backing you-more dental decay more work for me.

Anyway i'm bored of you now-no more posts from me on this one. i've done my best to educate you and relieve you of some of your ignorance:eek:

Yep, to my teeth, thats why I have to wash my body in it, next you will want suntan lotion in the water for my skin to stop me getting skin cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

Filter it or buy bottled water. No point giving everyone else cavities to pander to a few fruitcakes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Spirit - would you mind editing your original post and removing all those unnecessary flags from your post. They are very annoying and make reading the thread difficult.

• Advertisement

How safe do you think your drinking water is where you live?
    Do you feel the need to buy bottled water?
    Do you filter your water before drinking from the tap?
    Fluoride-Free Water does not believe it is safe to drink tap water in Ireland which has been fluoridated.
    Why not? We believe that drinking the chemicals used in fluoridation is an unecessary risk to health. According to the Department of Health and Children report, Forum on Fluoridation Ireland 2002, "Roughly 50% of an absorbed amount of fluoride will be excreted in the urine during the following 24 hours and most of the remainder will become associated with calcified tissue (bones and teeth)." Among the agents listed on page 192 of the report by the Department of Health and Children are Arsenic, Mercury, Chromium, Lead, Nickel, Silicon, Fluoride (Hydro Fluoro Silicic Acid – H2SiF6). Currently, 71% of the public water supplies in the Republic of Ireland contain these agents.
    We are a non-profit, independent, campaign group who believe that the policy of water fluoridation is very harmful to people, animals, and aquatic life; and that it also damages our environment and is totally unethical, and illegal. The agent, Hydro Fluoro Silicic Acid (H2SiF6), in water fluoridation is a listed poison under Irish Poisons Act 1982, First Schedule, Part 11 (SI 188).
    Most of Europe does not fluoridate its drinking water for health, legal and environmental reasons, as you can see below.
    Impact of Dental Fluorosis on your teeth

Dental fluorosis is tooth enamel damage for life. This damage is clearly seen in the photographs of dental fluorosis shown on this page. Promoters of water fluoridation knew in advance that at least 10% of children would be affected with this condition under the water fluoridation policy. Children, their parents and guardians, did not get a chance to refuse water fluoridation and avoid this damage. Help us protect future generations from this damage by saying NO to water fluoridation today.

We ask for your help to stop this now.
    We support other environmental groups including:
    OUR MISSION

We want to end harmful water fluoridation in Ireland forever for health, legal and environmental reasons.
    OUR SERVICE

We will share information on dangers of fluoridation from books, websites, and online videos.
    HEALTH

Water fluoridation is known to cause Dental Fluorosis. Dental fluorosis is tooth enamel damage for life. The Department of Health & Children published pictures of dental fluorosis in the Forum on Fluoridation Ireland 2002 Report. Dental fluorosis is irreversible damage to children's teeth. This damage was known to be a high risk by promoters of water fluoridation from the start, and no one told the children. The children and their families had a right to say NO to this damage, a right which has been denied to them since 1963.
    We believe mandatory water fluoridation is an unreasonable health risk to our children and it is unconscionable to deny them their right to say no.
    LEGAL

Harmful fluorides in tap water are a poison and they damage both teeth and soft tissue and bone. It is illegal to force anyone to take a poison without their knowledge or informed consent. You can say 'no' to a poison, and this is known in law as your right to 'personal bodily integrity'.
    We believe you always retain that right, and that it is violated by compulsory water fluoridation.
    ENVIRONMENT

The Irish environment has been flooded with toxic fluorides from water fluoridation since 1964. Only 1% of water usage is drinking. The remaining 99% is also fluoridated and this seeps out into the rivers, lakes and groundwater affecting the delicate ecosystem for over forty years. Overdosing has been noted by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) in many areas in Ireland in their Water Quality Reports.
    We believe information on the toxic risks of agents used in water fluoridation, which impact on general health and the environment, was not adequately released to the public since water fluoridation began in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

do you know what kind of damage fluorosis causes?

look up the york review into water fluoridation. a peer reviewed study into all the papers on the subject, not including ones that were submitted by companies/individuals with an agenda, whether it was pro- or anti- fluoridation.
    it's grand to go on to a public forum and publicise your campaign, but seriously, all you're doing is scare-mongering. water fluoridation has saved this country millions over the years in improving dental health.

anyway, when water charges come in, everyone will be free to make their own choice. if you can, look up Dr. Willie Reville from UCC on the last word talking about water on thursday. he couldn't give a toss either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

OP is absolutely 100% correct. Not content with jeopardising Ireland's dental health by devestating the DTBS and DTSS schemes, lets get rid of the one public health initiative that is keeping us from totally reverting to the dark ages.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ali303

I like clean water with no poisons added. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ali303

water should be fluoride free. putting fluoride in water takes a way from personal choice. If you really want to ingest fluoride buy fluoride toothpaste

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

I am locking this thread now because of all of the personal abuse that has gone on. In future, we will be holding you to the same level of requirements as in the health science forum which is to provide evidence to back up a particular point of view. Nobody from the antifluoridation side has done this as yet in this thread. All we have is conjecture and waffle.

The main study quoted by the OP is the Forum on Fluoridation in Ireland. Tell me, what was the main conclusion of that paper? Was it to keep fluoridating the water in Ireland? Yes it was.

Does fluoride occur naturally in the water supply? Yes it does. Is it in bottled water? Yes it is. In lower concentrations than in tap water because the concentrations are optimised to a level that will provide a benificial effect to the teeth of the population. Compare our rates of decayed missing and filled teeth in the Republic with those in the North. They have nearly twice the rate that we do, as found by every dental public health study on this island since the 1980s.

Read this:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19772843

Notice it says no adverse effects have been found between water fluoridation and health, apart from fluorosis, which is purely a cosmetic issue in the vast vast majority of cases. Only in severe fluorosis (which doesn't exist in Ireland, it only exists in countries where the natural level of fluoridation is about 13 parts per million such as some African countries) is there structural issues, but again even in severe fluorosis, the teeth are more resistant to decay.

The Supreme Court found in 1963 that fluoride in water is a nutrient as it occurs naturally in the water supply, and that fluoridation amounted to an optimisation of a nutrient and not a mass medication and therefore there was no ethical issue involved regarding personal choice.

Lastly as was previously pointed out, in toxicology (the study of poisons) the saying goes that the dose makes the poison. In order to be poisoned by the level of fluoride in our water supply a human of average body weight (70kg) would have to consume 600 litres of water in one sitting in order to be poisoned. One would be dead long before fluoride ever got a part to play. (This calculation was based on LD50 studies in rats).

In future, people in this forum are expected to be civil to each other or bans will be handed out.

Thread locked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Concentrate??..Is that supposed to make me feel better??

I bet your getting paid to bull**** on this site!

Honestly,do you ingest toothpaste???...No!

You ingest water!

What do most women mix their babies bottle with???...Tap water!...

People do not have a choice,

I really think you have an agenda,otherwise your not the sharpest tool in the garden shed.

You're not posting in a Science forum again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Thanks other mods for dealing with this one so swiftly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement