Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension up at the end of this month

Options
  • 30-05-2010 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I've made a stupid mistake in that i thought my extension was up at the end of next month but in fact its up at the end of this month! I thought i was cutting it fine leaving a month to go but 2 days....
    I called into the station but they were out of application forms so they said they'd post one out to me. They said i should receive the forms in the post anyway once it was time for renewal (his words,not a new application that it is now with the new regime)...i didnt expect to hear this but i didnt tell them it was in 2 days time. They took my name and address and said they'd post it out to me.
    So to add to all that i'm off on holidays next week.
    Should i try an find a dealer who will store it for me while i'm gone (be pressed time wise) or should it be ok untill i come back the week after?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Scruff wrote: »
    I've made a stupid mistake in that i thought my extension was up at the end of next month but in fact its up at the end of this month! I thought i was cutting it fine leaving a month to go but 2 days....
    I called into the station but they were out of application forms so they said they'd post one out to me. They said i should receive the forms in the post anyway once it was time for renewal (his words,not a new application that it is now with the new regime)...i didnt expect to hear this but i didnt tell them it was in 2 days time. They took my name and address and said they'd post it out to me.
    So to add to all that i'm off on holidays next week.
    Should i try an find a dealer who will store it for me while i'm gone (be pressed time wise) or should it be ok untill i come back the week after?

Ask your local FO's, as they are the ones who collect unlicensed firearms in their area, if they have no problems, then no problem.
    It would be no harm leaving it into RFD if you are away for a while. When i went to America thats what I did.

It is not required , but you can never be to safe!
    The local lads told me once; when I was renewing on the 1st of August that if half of the people in the area were as efficient as i their job would be a lot easier.
    If you have had the firearms several years they are pragmatic and Should work with you.
    I would tell them the scéal and let the guide you.
    If you play ball they generally play ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Dvs

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭210

I submitted my form and had the new card/certificate back within afortnight. Once you have it filled out and checked in your local Barracks the process seems pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Not my experience. Still waiting 8 months later.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 david5624

210 wrote: »
    I submitted my form and had the new card/certificate back within afortnight. Once you have it filled out and checked in your local Barracks the process seems pretty quick.

Same here. Handed form in at local Garda Station Saturday, acknowledgment letter by Tuesday and payment form by Thursday (paid that day at Post office) and licence in the post Saturday or maybe Monday. So the lot in 10 days. Dublin South.

David

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭vixdname

Ask your local FO's, as they are the ones who collect unlicensed firearms in their area, if they have no problems, then no problem.
    It would be no harm leaving it into RFD if you are away for a while. When i went to America thats what I did.

It is not required , but you can never be to safe!
    The local lads told me once; when I was renewing on the 1st of August that if half of the people in the area were as efficient as i their job would be a lot easier.
    If you have had the firearms several years they are pragmatic and Should work with you.
    I would tell them the scéal and let the guide you.
    If you play ball they generally play ball.

Sorry Tac, but is RFD a registered firearms dealer ? If so is it a regular thing in this country to hand in your guns to dealers while away on hols? Hope this isnt a stupid question !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

vixdname wrote: »
    Sorry Tac, but is RFD a registered firearms dealer ? If so is it a regular thing in this country to hand in your guns to dealers while away on hols? Hope this isnt a stupid question !!!

Not a stupid question. I used to always hand in my guns while on holidays as I used to live in an area with a high rate of burglarys. I don't bother now as I'm in a low crime area and have a monitored alarm. You'll have to decide yourself but it is certainly the prudent thing to do. And yes, an RFD is a registered firearms dealer.

Advertisement