Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Women's Mini-Marathon Jun 7th 2010

• 30-05-2010 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭

http://www.womensminimarathon.ie/

One of the organizers of the mini-marathon is a Boards regular, and has asked that a poll be set up, which he will pass on to the committee in their ongoing efforts to improve the race experience for everyone.

He has also agreed to answer any questions he can, before and after the day, so any relevant queries or suggestions you have, this is the place for them.:)

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 8 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    12%
    Tipsygypsy 1 vote
    3 stars (average)
    75%
    MarieCdolliemixBlushingblueCurl52BUBBLES1978yungwan 6 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    12%
    Boxoffrogs 1 vote
    1 star (terrible)
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Not really a question but kind of a thanks. Fair play for putting time out to answer questions :) No doubt I will have a couple of questions soon ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Might be worthwhile posting a link to this in the Ladies Lounge thread about the Women's Mini-Marathon too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

4 stars (good)
    Hi there, I have a quick question - Im registered as a jogger (would have gone as runner/fast jogger but didnt have a previous chipped race time). Because I'll be in the same starting area as the walkers I was wondering what time the starting pen begins to fill - I want to get as far to the front as possible (am using timing chip and want to eliminate as many walkers from my path as possible!!). I know it was wedged by 2:00 last year, how early do I need to get there to get up front?

As for comments, I jogged part and walked part of it last year and had a really fantastic day - my only complaint was the heat and Im sure they cant do much about that!!
    Will come back on Tuesday and give futher thoughts after the event!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

3 stars (average)
    Yes I have a similar concern.

This is my first year to do the mini marathon and like the prior poster I am hoping to jog it all but didnt have a previous timed run done so I am also in with the walkers.

What I dont understand is why there cant be a fast lane in with the walkers for those wishing to set higher challenges for themselves? I would like to do the 10km in a good time but I dont think ill be able with all the leisurely walkers. I also dont want to be standing for hours beforehand trying to get a "good spot" wilting in the heat and being tired before the race even starts!! I think this aspect could be organised a little better but maybe it will be better on the day then I expect.

:D Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 Streak101

Tipsygypsy wrote: »
    Hi there, I have a quick question - Im registered as a jogger (would have gone as runner/fast jogger but didnt have a previous chipped race time). Because I'll be in the same starting area as the walkers I was wondering what time the starting pen begins to fill - I want to get as far to the front as possible (am using timing chip and want to eliminate as many walkers from my path as possible!!). I know it was wedged by 2:00 last year, how early do I need to get there to get up front?

Any information in these posts should not be taken as an official response from the Women’s Mini-Marathon, if you are looking for an official response please email info@womensminimarathon.ie.
    Firstly, if you have a chip I wouldn’t worry too much about your starting position. However, if being at the front of that section is important to you, access to the starting area is decided by the head steward usually between 12:30 and 13:00. It’s a long time to wait, so come prepared with the appropriate clothing, nutrition & hydration – there will be plenty of entertainment to keep you occupied if you decide to get there earlyJ.

• Advertisement

yungwan wrote: »
    Yes I have a similar concern.

This is my first year to do the mini marathon and like the prior poster I am hoping to jog it all but didnt have a previous timed run done so I am also in with the walkers.

What I dont understand is why there cant be a fast lane in with the walkers for those wishing to set higher challenges for themselves? I would like to do the 10km in a good time but I dont think ill be able with all the leisurely walkers. I also dont want to be standing for hours beforehand trying to get a "good spot" wilting in the heat and being tired before the race even starts!! I think this aspect could be organised a little better but maybe it will be better on the day then I expect.

:D Thanks in advance.

Any information in these posts should not be taken as an official response from the Women’s Mini-Marathon, if you are looking for an official response please email info@womensminimarathon.ie.
    Thanks for the feedback, the organizers do try and make improvements each year. With regard to the start you have to understand that managing a mass start event with over 40,000 participants is quite a complex task and the safety of the participants is always put to the fore. I'm not sure I fully understand your fast lane suggestion, but if I'm thinking correctly this would narrow an already congested start for the majority of the participants, so I'm not sure it would be in the best interest of the race in general. Hope you have a great day and appreciate any post race feedback you might have.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭drrunner

Does anyone have a GARMIN profile of the route which they could post?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭dolliemix

3 stars (average)
    Well done to the organisers and stewards. It was a wonderful day again despite the weather! I drove past UCD about an hour ago and it was like the mini marathon had never happened. Very well organised.

Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Firstly well done on the organisation today, apart from the weather, it was a great run. Trying to rack my tired brain for improvements but can't think of any right now. If I think of any I will let you know...

Do you happen to know the Timing Chip Co website so I can can have a quick look at results before they officially go out?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Tipsygypsy

4 stars (good)
    Had a really great day today - thought the whole thing was run really well. Plenty of water, lots of stewards, course was well marked out, and the pre-event info was very good too. I really dont have a single negative thing to say about the entire thing, will definately be back next year.
    Great work to all involved and many thanks for putting on such a positive event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,047 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Would anyone have a list of say the top 30 women? I know a girl aiming for sub-40 and am wondering how she got on.

(Edit: just found out she got under the 40, w00t).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Congrats to everyone who took part today. The weather wasn't all that favourable :p so fair dues to ye for getting through it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

Very surprised that for a such a big event there is virtually no post race information as of yet regarding the event. Not even preliminary results on the website nor even a mention of the winner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Very surprised that for a such a big event there is virtually no post race information as of yet regarding the event. Not even preliminary results on the website nor even a mention of the winner!!

That is the nature of the event imo, its not a race... its a day out.

Well done everyone who took part yesterday, pity about the weather, but we have been lucky in previous years.
    I'm not involved on the results side of things but believe they will be in today's Evening Herald.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Birdie Num Num

I suppose once the sponsors get their name out there they are happy and all else is secondary. The website is pretty much a Flora thing so I guess they manage it. I checked the mini marathon site and The Herald.ie (another sponsor) and not a dickie bird about the results or post race info. Very different to the Cork City Marathon which had preliminary results and race reports up pretty soon after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Last year the results appeared on the website at about 5 or 6 the day after the run ( I think).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

The results will be published in todays Evening Herald and will also be available online after 5pm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

The results are up on the website now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

results are up on the website for anyone thats interested

http://www.womensminimarathon.ie/results/results.6.LE.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Seres wrote: »
    results are up on the website for anyone thats interested

http://www.womensminimarathon.ie/results/results.6.LE.asp
    Seres congrats by the way, was in watching the OH and saw you storming home. that speed work is obviously paying off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭aero2k

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Seres congrats by the way, was in watching the OH and saw you storming home. that speed work is obviously paying off!
    +1, all those Galway 5k races seem to have done the trick, that's a great improvement since the Great Ireland Run.

thanks guys , wasnt sure it was goin to get sub 40 though cause i was running even kms all the way , the last few ks were tough cause the spectators were cheerin for the girl running along side me but a shout from tunguska the last km to go really gave me the boast , amazing what one person shoutin for ya can do , thanks tunguska :D .
    have to say the course is way flatter than phoenix park 10km was so that must have made a difference .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

thanks guys , wasnt sure it was goin to get sub 40 though cause i was running even kms all the way , the last few ks were tough cause the spectators were cheerin for the girl running along side me but a shout from tunguska the last km to go really gave me the boast , amazing what one person shoutin for ya can do , thanks tunguska :D .
    have to say the course is way flatter than phoenix park 10km was so that must have made a difference .

No problem, but I think you had it in the bag anyway. You looked very strong and comfortable. Negative split aswell. Brilliant running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Wow Seres sub 40! Great running.... those 5ks did the trick! Now what's the next target? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

Ya well done seres the 5ks of pain paid off,!! seemed like a good race up the front , fair play to the third place girl she won at our fields of athenry race at xmas , and has been blitzin pbs since 34.36 on monday serious runnin..

brutes1 wrote: »
    Ya well done seres the 5ks of pain paid off,!! seemed like a good race up the front , fair play to the third place girl she won at our fields of athenry race at xmas , and has been blitzin pbs since 34.36 on monday serious runnin..
    ya , teresa mc gloin , knew i recognised her face at the start line , remember when she won the fields ,thinkin , that time could win the mini marathon , her third place time this year would have given her a joint place first last year , last time they had her name down in result they put her down as from leitrim and i was thinkin , must try and hook up with her but it was obviously a misprint , i see a good weekend in cork for athenry AC ?!

littlebug wrote: »
    Wow Seres sub 40! Great running.... those 5ks did the trick! Now what's the next target? :D
    rest a bit from the races , that 10k nearly killed me , will start up training for my first half in september in a week or two

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 477 ✭✭brutes1

ya , teresa mc gloin , knew i recognised her face at the start line , remember when she won the fields ,thinkin , that time could win the mini marathon , her third place time this year would have given her a joint place first last year , last time they had her name down in result they put her down as from leitrim and i was thinkin , must try and hook up with her but it was obviously a misprint , i see a good weekend in cork for athenry AC ?!

Just shows what trainin and racin can do, its all in there!!

ya it was good in cork, well done JA, great run for a really dedicated runner, didnt even know pmac was runnin it, he is back!, we had no relay team this yr due to a bunch of male crocks ..next time....!

• Advertisement
Advertisement