Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German language conversation group

• 30-05-2010 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

If anyone has an interested in forming such, post here of p.m me bitte!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Frances4019

Freiheit wrote: »

Only for German speakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭migozarad

Ich interessiere Mich viel fur dis Idea.Wasfur ''Deutsche-Qualitat'' muss man habe um in dieser Gruppe zu verwickeln?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Well the idea would be to speak German of some level anyway, I'm sure their would be room for all, I've a degree in German but have little opportunity to use it now. I'd really like an informal group where people could chill out and speak at least some German...if anyone wanted to learn they could of course come too!

Koennte vielleicht in einem Cafe im Stadtzentrum stattfinden!....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Vorsprung durch Technik :D

I'll get me coat....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Ich interessiere mich ein bischen fur dieser Gruppe. Ich mache Deutsch fur das Leaving Cert dieses Jahr. Ein Gesprach ins Deutsch ist ganz leicht.....meiner meinung nach.

• Advertisement

Well the idea would be to speak German of some level anyway, I'm sure their would be room for all, I've a degree in German but have little opportunity to use it now. I'd really like an informal group where people could chill out and speak at least some German...if anyone wanted to learn they could of course come too!

Koennte vielleicht in einem Cafe im Stadtzentrum stattfinden!....

I unfortunately don't speak it but would really love to learn. Would be happy to take a back seat and just listen for a while. keep posting.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Ich interessiere mich ein bischen fur dieser Gruppe. Ich mache Deutsch fur das Leaving Cert dieses Jahr. Ein Gesprach ins Deutsch ist ganz leicht.....meiner meinung nach.
    Babelfish wrote:
    I am interested a little fur this group. I make fur the Leaving CERT for German this year. A Gesprach into German is completely easily…. in my opinion. Perhaps Koennte in a cafe in the city centre take place! ….

Babelfish has made learning foreign languages an archaic and wholly unnecessary practice.

- The above text was translated perfectly in terms of content, grammar and subject matter.

P.S. Neon you really need to brush up on your grammar!!! German or English, one of them anyhow
    :eek:

Babelfish still has a bit to evolve......translations are generaly accurate in terms of 'gist' but far from exact,and in any event it would make for very cumbersome communication!.....typing into a computer as means of face to face communication!:)

Babelfish still has a bit to evolve......translations are generaly accurate in terms of 'gist' but far from exact,and in any event it would make for very cumbersome communication!.....typing into a computer as means of face to face communication!:)

Hmmmm - I s'ppose.

Subtitles any good to ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Raiser wrote: »

P.S. Neon you really need to brush up on your grammar!!! German or English, one of them anyhow

Considering babelfish will not translate it properly, and I didnt use umlauts, its all messy. My grammar is fine...

• Advertisement

Babelfish has made learning foreign languages an archaic and wholly unnecessary practice.

- The above text was translated perfectly in terms of content, grammar and subject matter.

Be honest - You're hoping there'll be hot German Girls there that are into discipline........

Raiser you have totally ruined this post for me anyway. I am a Grandmother who would like just to communicate with her Grandchildren in German. If this was in any other Country these type of slutty remarks would not be tolerated. Happy now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

right you peoples, I refer you to the charter, if you cannot provide information then don't post. no need for smartalikness.

Raiser you have totally ruined this post for me anyway. I am a Grandmother who would like just to communicate with her Grandchildren in German. If this was in any other Country these type of slutty remarks would not be tolerated. Happy now?

I'm sorry Frances - I thought you were a young Man for some stupid reason - I've edited my post and apologise sincerely if I caused any offence :o

If there is enough interest over the next few weeks we could arrange a meet.

I speak fairly good German, maybe not quite fluent but close. But I don't have any means of maintaining it now, and like a muscle, if you don't use it , you tend to loose it.

So a friendly gathering on a regular basis,where German would be spoken would be great, for me and hopefuly others too. It wouldn't have to be serious, could be easy going and lighthearted. Wouldn't be a classroom!:)

There's a social side to every group too, meeting new people is positive on many levels;) We could even celebrate Christmas with German Gluehwein( a German drink similar to punch) and play some German Christmas carols...maybe even visit the German Christmas Market in Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I'd be interested, but again, like some of the other posters, I reckon I'd be listening for the first few sessions. Did it in first year in secondary school, then did ten weeks worth of evening classes in Limerick Senior College back in 2007. Wouldn't mind brushing up.

Can anyone recommend any decent German language podcasts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

There's a social side to every group too, meeting new people is positive on many levels;) We could even celebrate Christmas with German Gluehwein( a German drink similar to punch) and play some German Christmas carols...maybe even visit the German Christmas Market in Dublin!

Or start one here!

Deutsche Welle is a good radio station but it's fairly advanced....So lang man Traume noch leben kann is a favourite song of mine, by Munchener Freiheit!...available on You Tube in German and in English as "Keeping the dream alive". Interesting how although the general meaning is the same in both languages, the words and sentences are sometimes quite a bit different.

Music is a good way to start for relative beginners. Lot's of deutsche Musik im Youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 sterntaste

I can recommend "Rundblick: beginner's German" and "nachtlager.de DOMIAN", which is a late-night radio talkshow with interesting topics.

Very famous and available as Podcast is "Die Sendung mit der Maus" - a children's TV show with cool topics for adults, too.

Cheers from Germany

I'm sorry Frances - I thought you were a young Man for some stupid reason - I've edited my post and apologise sincerely if I caused any offence :o

Accepted....

So is there any venues anyone would like? The George Boutique Hotel? The White House? O'Connors or BB'S Cafe? Those are just off the cuff suggestions to set the ball running!:)

Hoffentlich geht es euch gut!
    (hopefully all are well!)

• Advertisement

So is there any venues anyone would like? The George Boutique Hotel? The White House? O'Connors or BB'S Cafe? Those are just off the cuff suggestions to set the ball running!:)

Hoffentlich geht es euch gut!
    (hopefully all are well!)

I'll be September onwards in Limerick ^^ maybe see you then :pac:

Viel Spass!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭pearliefan

Ich interessiere mich ein bischen dafur.. Ich bin in Deutschland geboren, aber den Moglichkeit Deutsch zu sprechen habe ich leider nicht so oft und ich mocthe mein Deutsch verbessern. Was fur einen Alter muss/soll man sein?

English
    : I'm a bit interested in this idea. I was born in Germany, but I don't often get the oppotunity to speak German and I would like to brush up on it I suppose. What kind of age group should is it?

I'm not sure if there would have to an age group, maybe 16=?what do others think? I'm 31 but the world is full of people of all ages, what matters is group rapport, not really date of birth. Pubs, if it was in a pub only allow under 18's until 9pm, but if it was in a Cafe that wouldn't be a factor....

By the way the German term for this type of gathering is Stammtisch, pronounced Stam-tish..First word for new learners!

I'm not sure if there would have to an age group, maybe 16=?what do others think? I'm 31 but the world is full of people of all ages, what matters is group rapport, not really date of birth. Pubs, if it was in a pub only allow under 18's until 9pm, but if it was in a Cafe that wouldn't be a factor....

By the way the German term for this type of gathering is Stammtisch, pronounced Stam-tish..First word for new learners!

Shtamm-Tish :D

Yes starting to pay dividends already....My German is improving!;) .....nice pussy cat Avatar by the way Herr Sterne

:D Fortunatly, I don't have to "pronounce" English words here ^^ ... Schwarzenegger-Style

Above all I've struggled with the 'ch' sound, pretty problematic as the word for 'I' is 'Ich' , and I've been speaking German for 19 years!.......My first German teacher had awful pronunciation and I blame him!:cool:

Told I speak 'ch' as in Berlin but nowhere else.....after 19 years I'm unlikely to learn now!:o

Just pretend your choking :D

I think you're pronouncing it "ick" which is Berlin accent indeed. The standard sound does not exist in English, so I cannot give you any example...

Maybe "igh" ?

http://www.paulmeier.com/ipa/consonants.html

click on the "x" symbols...

cheers :)

Actually a good place to learn some German is a bottle of Erdinger beer..must upload one here...the label is in German and is a fun way to develope vocab....has anyone tried it? .

• Advertisement

I'll post about this again in a month or six weeks, more people might be interested in the Autumn....

Advertisement