Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German language conversation group

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AOWAO.de

Freiheit wrote: »
    I'll post about this again in a month or six weeks, more people might be interested in the Autumn....

Also ist die "Wir sprechen Deutsch" Gruppe noch nicht ganz vom Tisch, wenn ich das richtig verstehe. Nur verschoben...

Wenn es losgeht bin ich gerne dabei !

Bis dahin halten wir uns weiter am Paulaner oder Erdinger fest und studieren das Etikett. Prost!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Magst du lieber Paulaner oder Erdinger?(Do you prefer Paulaner or Erdinger beer?) Sean Monkrief said he likes Maisel Weiss....could maybe invite him?

I like Erdinger,Paulaner tastes different here to Germany and not as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 AOWAO.de

Das Erdinger schmeckt ganz gut in Irland. Ich trinke auch gerne das Franziskaner von Lidl.

Letztendlich schmeckt eh jedes deutsche Bier im Ausland anders, weil ein extra Haltbarkeitsmittel zugesetzt wird. Leider!!!

Proud supporter of the German purity law

I said I'd post again in the autumn. It's the autumn now, if anyone is genuinely interested in meeting up, in the relatively near future, post here or p.m. me.
    Guten Tag
    F

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭froodie

I'd be interested.
    Degree-level German which hasn't been spoken since I graduated, pretty much.

Affengeil! :)

• Advertisement

That's great Herr Froodie, only take's two to converse! (well in theory one can talk to oneself too!)...any suggestions as to where you'd like to meet?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

leaving cert german any good?

Of course...all would be welcome...!:)....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Freiheit wrote: »
    I said I'd post again in the autumn. It's the autumn now, if anyone is genuinely interested in meeting up, in the relatively near future, post here or p.m. me.
    Guten Tag
    F

Might be interested in this next year if it takes off. Am mulling over the idea of leaving Ireland again, and going back to Germany again is high on my list of possibles for mid to late next year if I don't move elsewhere within the Limerick/Kerry/Cork region.

Lived in Germany on two occasions in the past, totalling ten or so years that I enjoyed, but have not spoken it much since my last spell there. I speak a number of languages, but, as with most things, without regular practise I have gotten a little rusty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Ich ware sehr intressiert daran.Bin halb Deutsch /Ire,mutterlicherseits.
    Wie,Wo ,Wann??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Ok look it's time to arrange a maiden meeting. People who want can attend and those who can't can come again.

Possible venues: daytime - any Cafe around time, maybe O'Connor's on Cruises St? Upstairs in Arthurs Quay? or an evening venue maybe the Locke Bar?(koennen da Paulaner trinken!)...or the White House? Next week maybe?.

Alles Gute
    F

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

whats the standard here though, You wouldnt want to be lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

You could get people to rate themselves in some way (maybe the Council of Europe levels) and then know who was at what level, and who they should be grouped with.

People could do this before they even go, and be ready to sort out pairs when they arrive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Reference_for_Languages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If they Becks or Warsteiner..I'm dabei. Cant do wheat beer,get awful hangovers and bloating from it.Und Ich ein eherliche Franke.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Standard wouldn't really matter. At University "Stammtisch" was always fairly mixed in terms of level, but all were able to learn something, even if only a few words. I have a vision of something very informal in mind, no strict rules of regulations, just a chat and a liquid and try to speak/learn some German, even if only from a beer bottle!

I'm going to grab the bull by the horns and call a meeting for the Locke bar, thursday or friday of next week, how does that sound? Around 8pm?

Provisional meeting, Locke Bar, around 9, thursday 7 October.. Talk about whatever you want, even if you have no German that's ok, you'l leave knowing a little!:)
    Bis bald!
    F

2 , one of whom was me attended the Locke bar thursday of last week!...There's an Oktoberfest there next weekend or weekend after!...See the Limerick Post for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭brownej

Is this conversation group still going?
    I only found this thread today. I have leaving cert German but I've been looking for a German language course for while now but to no avail.
    I would be very interested if this is still going ahead.

Of course a meet can be arranged in a few weeks again...maybe in 2 weeks for the Oktoberfest in the Locke?....The language one learns through conversation is likely to be more practical than on a language course anyway....I had 2 years of third level German when I first went to Germany but was very poor orally as had very little oral experience...Conversation is more practical and more fun!;)
    Prost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭Buckeye

I just found this thread today. I took a new job last month in which foreign languages are not required but would be very helpful, so I was planning to pick up a Business German and a Business French workbook to start brushing up, as I haven't used either since my high school and college basic classes.
    I would love to add some weekly conversation, as well.
    I could usually make a weekday evening Stammtisch around 7:00 or a weekend brunch Stammtisch.
    I have set up the thread now to notify my email of updates - thanks all!

As there is an Oktoberfest in the Locke Bar next weekend, (weekend of 29-30th) how about a meet either thursday, friday or saturday there?....8/9pm?...was denkt ihr?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭froodie

Just realised I've got to go to Dublin that weekend - and Thursdays are out for me also.
    I will catch you someday!

Just realised that Oktoberfest is this weekend....friday and saturday...I'll be there at some point....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 LimMurphy

hi, just wondering if this group is still meeting, would love to improve my german.
    Thanks

Hi this group never met and I had tbh forgotten about it,but if people are interested p.m. me and I'm sure something could be arranged.

Have started trying to learn Dutch,Gawd knows whether I'll ever use it but that's off topic.

Advertisement