Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volcano Disruption

Options
  • 30-05-2010 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

I have just checked my Ryanair Visa credit card statement on-line and €48.51 has been credited to my account. The description is VOLCANO DISRUPTION REF. Now whilst I did have flights booked in and around the time of the volcanic ash incident I did not suffer any cancellation or delays as a result.

Can anyone shed any light on this transaction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

I have just checked my Ryanair Visa credit card statement on-line and €48.51 has been credited to my account. The description is VOLCANO DISRUPTION REF. Now whilst I did have flights booked in and around the time of the volcanic ash incident I did not suffer any cancellation or delays as a result.

Can anyone shed any light on this transaction?

Most likely, this is a mistake, you got someone else's compensation maybe.

You should do the honest thing and patiently wait for them to correct the problem.

RyanAir are very busy most of the time, you might have to wait months or years for them to realize the mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Most likely, this is a mistake, you got someone else's compensation maybe.

You should do the honest thing and patiently wait for them to correct the problem.

RyanAir are very busy most of the time, you might have to wait months or years for them to realize the mistake.

For a minute there i thought honest thing and return it, ya right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

For a minute there i thought honest thing and return it, ya right.

Actually returning it might be difficult, if you send them a cheque, they might reverse the transaction when the cheque is in the post, and RyanAir do not provide freephone numbers to call them, so most likely the OP will incur some cost in returning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's most likely not a mistake. MBNA advertised during the disruption that they were making allowances for those abroad (i.e. waiving cash advance fees/currency fees etc).

Obviously, they have no way of distinguishing who was affected or not, and they've run a report of all such transactions (cash advances and purchases made abroad between date X and date Y) and calculated it on this basis.

see http://www.mbna.ie/volcanic-ash-disruption/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

BuffyBot wrote: »
    It's most likely not a mistake. MBNA advertised during the disruption that they were making allowances for those abroad (i.e. waiving cash advance fees/currency fees etc).

Obviously, they have no way of distinguishing who was affected or not, and they've run a report of all such transactions (cash advances and purchases made abroad between date X and date Y) and calculated it on this basis.

see http://www.mbna.ie/volcanic-ash-disruption/index.html

I see. As I said I wasn't affected and I used my credit card to book and pay for the flights and hotel well in advance of the ash cloud disruption.

What's the consensus? Say nothing until I hear more?

• Advertisement
Advertisement